Advice on suburbs

Guest eager6

Guest eager6

Hi Guys

Loving this website,so much info.

We are a family of 6 looking to move to Adelaide and we visited in 2007 and loved it.

When we visited we were not there long so just got a feel for city and surrounding areas.I loved up around hills but husband afraid of bush fires

My questions are as follows

1.Suburb not far from city approx 15 -20 mins away.Ideal for families

2.Do not want to live in small plot want to let kids play outside and make plenty of noise without disturbing neighbours.

3.Good schools and would love little village (if poss)

Would rent first and then look at buying later date.

Any advice??Would love to hear from you!!!:wubclub:

Guest Jo&Phil

SA doesn't really have 'villages' in quite the same way as the UK ...... but you might like the Adelaide Hills area which is probably the closest to that. Eg: Bridgewater, Littlehampton ..... or the small town in that area, Mt Barker. All about 20 mins from city on the freeway.

Otherwise, Brighton (beachside) and Hove have a villagey feel (south of city)

Have a look at Prospect, Hectorville, Norwood (east-ish) ... blocks might be a bit smaller as closer to city (10-15 mins or so) and price may be higher too

Definitely worth renting first to see what you like and how easy it is for you to get to/from work etc.

Guest Scrappin' Julie

I would say the more villagy places are alot further out than 15-20 mins....McClaren Vale/Flat/Clarendon/Meadows/Macclesfield/Aldinga/Seaford/Old and Port Noarlunga, etc all beautiful little communities but a good drive south of city. (I don't know north areas sorry). It also appears that most new builds these days are on poky plots so go for an older property will likely give you more room. Good Luck! :D

If you don't mind being a bit rural, but still want to be within good reach of the city, have a look at places like Greenhill - it's only about 15 minutes from the city, larger block sizes, not too countrified that bushfires are a huge risk (although anywhere with grass/trees has a risk associated - this is Australia after all and we are the driest state....) - and there are places like this one for sale at a fairly reasonable price: 120 Yarrabee Road, (adjacent Burnside), Greenhill, SA 5140 - House for Sale #106514838 - realestate.com.au

If you are after village-type places, there are some lovely little ones dotted around, such as Houghton (about 25 mins from City) and One Tree Hill (maybe 40 mins?) - but prices tend to be quite high there and because they are in the hills, you have the possible disadvantage of very twisty turny roads (with steep drop-offs!) to get there and back - something we considered when we were looking as the thought of the kids driving up and down those roads at night once they were a little older and driving, was pretty scary!!

PS Greenhill is also good as the Eastern suburbs have some excellent schools, both primary and high, private and state.

Hi,

We are in North East Adelaide, Redwood park. There are still quite a few large plots here and the surrounding areas. It is about a 20 min drive to the city and 5 min drive to the hills. Try looking at Tea Tree Gully, Banksia Park, Fairview Park and surrounding areas. If you go on realestate.com you can put in the minimum land size that you are looking for. We are on a 1700sqm plot and with 4 kids its great.

Wendy

Guest Stacey

Hi

I live in Happy Valley (South) which is a lovely area. Probably about 20-25 minutes from the city. Most of the houses are older and therefore are on bigger plots of land and certainly where I live it has a village kind of feel with all the neighbours looking out for each other and kids playing out the front.

Surrounding areas include Hallett Cove, Aberfoyle Park, O'Halloran Hill, Sheidow Park etc.

There are so many lovely places in Adelaide though you will be spoilt for choice.

Good luck

x

Guest kangomik

Be carefull on real estate .com, you can get lost very quickly:biglaugh:

Great site

I would reccomend arriving, renting then sussing out where you want to be. Take your time and look at the whole neighbourhood. Something that realestate can never do;)

Guest Sachertorte
Hi Guys

We are a family of 6 looking to move to Adelaide and we visited in 2007 and loved it.

When we visited we were not there long so just got a feel for city and surrounding areas.I loved up around hills but husband afraid of bush fires

2.Do not want to live in small plot want to let kids play outside and make plenty of noise without disturbing neighbours.

Hi there,

I agree with Diane's suggestions, and she is local! As for my personal pref, if you really want a village feel with low bushfire risk, and close to the city, I would say have a look at Malvern and Fullarton, or even Hahndorf which is a fast commute with the highway. Blocks in these areas are medium to large. To be within a close radius of the city though you would probably need to budget $500K and over for the bigger plots...

As someone once told me, there is a house for everyone in Adelaide, so just keep looking.. you'll bump into yours :)

S

Coromandel Valley, Belair, Blackwood. Some streets feel quite rural and there is a good community spirit. Good choice of schools, the national park to roam in,ballet, dance/ scouts guides, rec centre, shopping centre and 15 - 20 mins to city , beach and major shopping centre/ cinemas/ swimming pool. These suburbs are the closest hills suburbs that are on the first ridge. check them out. Some of the houses in Coro valley back onto the creek. I think its a great place for families.

Coromandel Valley, Belair, Blackwood. Some streets feel quite rural and there is a good community spirit. Good choice of schools, the national park to roam in,ballet, dance/ scouts guides, rec centre, shopping centre and 15 - 20 mins to city , beach and major shopping centre/ cinemas/ swimming pool. These suburbs are the closest hills suburbs that are on the first ridge. check them out. Some of the houses in Coro valley back onto the creek. I think its a great place for families.

Its reassuring that you rate this part:wubclub: as this is the area we're look at (+ Northern and eastern parts of Aberfoyle Park and Flagstaff Hill) as the family are in Bellevue Heights and the grandchildren are at Coro school! ;)Love Blackwood for shopping as it feels like a village but its not too far too the City, Marion shopping centre and the beaches.

Guest WhatNow?
Hi Guys

Have a look on our website www.h2h.com.au at the suburbs database pages where you'll find all the suburbs listed in order of their distance from the city (the 'CBD'). We set this up specifically because we were getting asked so often how far places are from the CBD. Each suburb name has a map showing its location and a link to www.domain.com (similar to www.realestate.com) where you can not only find out about what properties are for sale or to rent but also the median house prices, trends in house prices and the population demographics for each suburb.

If you find it useful, please tell people about it as this sort of info is useful for other migrants.

Guest smit
Have a look on our website www.h2h.com.au at the suburbs database pages where you'll find all the suburbs listed in order of their distance from the city (the 'CBD'). We set this up specifically because we were getting asked so often how far places are from the CBD. Each suburb name has a map showing its location and a link to www.domain.com (similar to www.realestate.com) where you can not only find out about what properties are for sale or to rent but also the median house prices, trends in house prices and the population demographics for each suburb.

If you find it useful, please tell people about it as this sort of info is useful for other migrants.

depends how accurate it is?.ie distances. your 3k out from where i live to middle city. ........but i suppose is good for rough ideas.

Oh.........and i suppose this isnt advertising:)............nothing against it myself..as long as its good for everyone:)

Guest smit
Nice areas.........but i would say 15 mins to city is a bit hopeful....................unless at midnight:)

Guest eager6

Thanks again guys.

Another question

With regard to schools do you have to live in area schools are in or does that matter.

Our eldest is 10 and would like to send her to All girls school,so that would be another factor for location.

Any options on all girls schools in adelaide?

Mitcham Girls High is not zoned, so you can apply from anywhere. There are no public all girls primary schools. Your options otherwise are the Catholic or independentschools which range from managable fees to OMG!!!!!! fees.

Catholic

St Marys R-12 in City centre

St Aloysius R-12 in City centre

Marymount 6-9 in Hove

Our Lady of Sacred Heart 8-12 Enfield

Loreto College R-12 Maryatville

Kildare College 8-12 Holden Hill

St Dominics Priory R-12 North Adelaide

Mary Mackillop College 8-12 Kensington

Independent (but most affiliated with some religion)

Walford R-12 in Hyde Park

St Peters Girls K-12 in Stoneyfell

Seymour College K-12 in Glen Osmond

Annesley College K-12 in Wayville

Wilderness R-12 in Medindie

The other state girls high is Gepps Cross Girls, but I think it's going to become part of one of the super schools.

Guest WhatNow?
depends how accurate it is?.ie distances. your 3k out from where i live to middle city. ........but i suppose is good for rough ideas.

Oh.........and i suppose this isnt advertising:)............nothing against it myself..as long as its good for everyone:)

Yes they are only estimates and, as we mention on the page, are optimistic estimates and we have not driven every route to check them, but have relied on official sources of information. Better to have this info than none at all, I would have thought. And I suppose it would be advertising if we were charging a fee to look at it...

Guest Guest75

Mandy does give a lot of help and support on this site - a lot of H2H's resources are free to access;);)