Accommodation options for when we arrive...?

Guest Rover

Guest Rover

We are planning of arriving in Adelaide late August/early September and are trying to work out the best option for living somewhere when we first arrive....

As I understand it, the options are:

OAA - sounded very useful, but has ceased since July 1st with no indication of what (if anything) and when it is going to be replaced with.

Short Term places - many of those advertised on here look lovely and would be great for a holiday etc, but with typical prices around A$6-700/week that is going to eat into the budget pretty quickly

Lease Breakers - take up one of those posters on here advertising they are breaking the lease on their rental & arrange to have the place available to move into when we land, but run the risk of being misled as to the quality of the place/reason why they are moving out.

Longer Term rental from an Agency - again arrange something in advance but risk of being caught up for a year if it is not all it seems in the pictures - and also many appear not willing to let you rent anywhere without having seen it...

Each of these have their advantages and disadvantages, but AM I MISSING ANY OTHER OPTION?

Any ideas for a low-risk cost-effective way of doing this would be most appreciated....

...along with any comments on what you did and whether it was a good idea in hindsight....

Thanks in advance folks

ROVER

Hi Rover,

We stayed at the Quest apartments in Wakefield street, they are 3 bedroom town houses with garage for a car.

It was not cheap, but it suited us. it came fully serviced and was in the heart of the city. I'm glad we stayed there, as when you first arrive there is plenty to sort out, and everything that we needed to do was in the city. They also have 2 bedroom units in the city as well.

It was very easy for us and the 2 children.

Prema

Guest briggsy

Hi Rover,

I am in the same position as you. I am not sure if you have family, so will need somewhere larger. There is just two of us (so a lot easier), and will just be looking for a short term rental in the city centre.

Prema, these service appartments sound good. We just want somewhere for a couple of months while we sort out everything - and know where we really want to live.

Will have a look, Thanks.

Clare

Guest Chandan

After arriving in Adelaide on the 17th of June we went to every rental viewing suitable for us and it took us till the 13th of July to sign contract and move in.. luckily my parents live here and put up us up.. wasnt easy with a 6 month old and a 4 year old..

I would suggest contacting some Rental/Real Estate agencies.. if you know the area you want to live in try looking on realestate.com.au in the rental section..

That may be a very good job to get into.. viewing houses for prospective poms coming to Adelaide!!

Good luck!

Guest clubatlantis

Rover, we are in the same position and we have a child as well. We dont want to commit to rental until we have seen the property for ourselves, we all know how deceiving photos can be. Weve been searching for a while now after finding out about OAA ceasing as of 1st July, big blow. We decided to look at house shares for a few weeks whilst we found our feet, Totally wouldnt recommend, we have realised today there are so many scam artists using websites to track you down on email and offering you rooms to rent, prices arent particularly cheap, we almost got caught out, but luckily alarm bells started sounding when they wanted the deposit and a months rental wired to EGYPT. Since then we have googled the mail addresses which are mainly yahoo and there are posts to say beware of this person. SCARY !! We are still searching ...

Guest Guest75
Rover, we are in the same position and we have a child as well. We dont want to commit to rental until we have seen the property for ourselves, we all know how deceiving photos can be. Weve been searching for a while now after finding out about OAA ceasing as of 1st July, big blow. We decided to look at house shares for a few weeks whilst we found our feet, Totally wouldnt recommend, we have realised today there are so many scam artists using websites to track you down on email and offering you rooms to rent, prices arent particularly cheap, we almost got caught out, but luckily alarm bells started sounding when they wanted the deposit and a months rental wired to EGYPT. Since then we have googled the mail addresses which are mainly yahoo and there are posts to say beware of this person. SCARY !! We are still searching ...

Thanks for fetching this up.

There have been some scams on sites such as this.

It always pays to check out the advertisers thoroughly before parting with your cash.

Having had a friend nearly ripped off for thousands of Dollars on a boat I am cautious.

They should be reported to stop it happening to others!!:policeman::policeman:

Some of the posters on here with accommodation on offer do post on here so you can check them out.

I have changed my choice of words after a call.

I apologise unreservedly if I offended anyone.

Guest LOOBYLOO

Hi

Sent you a pm but link was wrong - should be www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9850

Guest mark&rachel

we stayed in Glandore which is close enough to the city. Gave us a base to look north and south and blitzed it in 2 weeks. Once you find somewhere it is quite quick that you move in.

In order to make it move quicker, make sure that you have bank statements, that was our hold up.

We stayed in Glandore which was $110 a night but the owner was 1st class, everything there even Idocks.

If you want her email PM me

Guest cornish Busdriver

We booked into the Adelaide Meridian on Melborne street for 2 weeks whenwe first got here.

Its nothing fancy, just a sitting room and bed room with en-suite.

Done us fine as a base untill we secured the rental the next day after arriving.