Rentals; heating and cooling is important.

sueoc

Hiya,

Just like to say to people coming over soon,that it is important to make sure your rental has sufficient heating for the winter,and cooling for the summer.You will really regret it if this is not so,it is something you can easily overlook when you decide"this is the place for me"Be aware.:D

Guest kangomik

Our first rental was pretty new and had reverse cycle, which was excellent all year round, but it can be expensive.

We have a gas heater in one room (Vulcan) in the house, jezus it's cold when out of that room. Swampy air con which is good, but takes some getting used to having to open a window or two. Especially after convincing everyone to close the windows and doors to keep the heat out.

Fitted Whirly birds, these help in summer, do not know if there is a heating benefit in winter i doubt it.

Our first rental was pretty new and had reverse cycle, which was excellent all year round, but it can be expensive.

We have a gas heater in one room (Vulcan) in the house, jezus it's cold when out of that room. Swampy air con which is good, but takes some getting used to having to open a window or two. Especially after convincing everyone to close the windows and doors to keep the heat out.

Fitted Whirly birds, these help in summer, do not know if there is a heating benefit in winter i doubt it.

Any heat that build up in the attic is taken out by the whirlys so you realy should put a cover on them over winter not sure where you can get them but know you can.

Thanks for the info with the whirlies...I have two on my cottage. i will see if my OH can get covers from Bunnings.

The heating and cooling is so important! Am presently in Reynella and am frozen! It's an older house with high ceilings and 14 air vents (to let the heat out and cold in!) Port Noarlunga is much cooler in Summer and much warmer in Winter and I am so looking forward to moving so that i will be more comfortable even though it's only 9km away (the difference is around 3 to 4 degrees!)

I had a cottage built last year and installed a reverse cycle. It's insulation requirements were also stricter (and better) than a few years ago and the place is easier to heat / cool and keep its temperature.

Heating and cooling can end up costing an absolute fortune if the right systems are not in place. A reverse cycle can cost $1 an hour if not used on the right setting and it takes time to get out of the 'central heating" frame of mind when you arrive from the UK. If you leave the heating / cooling on to return to a warm / cool house...you will pay for it when the quarterly bill arrives!

Tamara