Landlords and Agents

sueoc

How do you find your Landlord/Agent?It seems that we all have different experiences whilst renting,some are good and some are bad.Perhaps we should share these so Newbies know what to look for and what to expect when they arrive,recommendations,pitfalls etc.Mine personally are one good one,one bad one.Good one leaves you alone,just want's your money,bad one harasses you throughout,picking up on daft things like dust on the skirting board,cobwebs under the gutter etc.Anyone offer advice for new arrivals?:D

Guest katsmajic

We've been really lucky IMO, the rental agents we got when we got here were great, friendly and helpful. (Carbones in Seaford) then when the house was sold and they lost the contract to manage it, they were still great to us, friendly etc, offered to do a reference at anytime should we want one in the future/for our mortgage etc.

New landlords are also really good, now private not through an agent, friendly and helpful, not intrusive etc.

Guest tinkham_lee

Southgate at Moana weren't very good at the start of the rental, We moved in to find we had no electricity, We presumed the agent was sorting it out, had to organize it ourself and pay an extra $100 to get connected quickly (which still took 2 days) they also didn't tell us that we had to pay the waterbill's which took over 6 months to see the first quarterly bill. Apart from that they seem to be OK, not too picky in inspections, except in the garden during summer when they kept saying the garden was too dry, (I work evenings and I'm not at home during the watering times)

Guest mark&rachel

Company we used have been awful. Couldnt do enough for us before moving in.

Left us with no elec for first few days for there mess up. Coped with that ok but have now been without heating / air con for since 30th April. Had 10 different engineers to look at it but no remedy. Now they are offering us a measley $400 compo. Thats only $26 per week for all the hassle. Avoid them like the plague.

Cant say there name but PM if you want them. Give you a clue though first part is Lin, second part is a name of an English prince!!

we have found ours good. got full bond back out last one. we using southgate in moana and were great as house never had phone connected and we needed adsl line in straight away they let the guys in before we started paying rent and had not paid bond either

Guest Guest75
Company we used have been awful. Couldnt do enough for us before moving in.

Left us with no elec for first few days for there mess up. Coped with that ok but have now been without heating / air con for since 30th April. Had 10 different engineers to look at it but no remedy. Now they are offering us a measley $400 compo. Thats only $26 per week for all the hassle. Avoid them like the plague.

Cant say there name but PM if you want them. Give you a clue though first part is Lin, second part is a name of an English prince!!

The Conqueror!!!

Sorry,could not resist.

Nice post and well set.;)

Our first landlord was a real Tyrant. lol tyke :biglaugh:

No really all our landlords/agents have been really good except for the last one.

The house we were in was the pits, heating was a joke, 5000 watts heater in the lounge only and actually didnt do anything also carpet was like paper and let all the cold in. Air conditioning only just worked throughout the house. Pergola poured when it rained soaking back wooden steps which were rotten and couldnt use back door, when we complained that they were dangerous and waiting for a accident, the agent said that was what the Landlords insurance was for.:arghh:

In the end when we had heavy rain it would back up and come down the walls into the dining room, kitchen and bedroom. I could go on and on but that was the major issues we had. If you want to know the agent then you can PM me but his company has royal connections.

Now we have a house its bit smaller but hopefully better managed by the prince mark&rachel spoke about earlier. Yes we did have similar problems with the electricity, she would of allowed us to have no electricity over weekend cos we were taking up lease on a saturday and she said meters were behind locked gates. But electric company connected anyway cos the meters were at the side of the house. We have the landlords number if we do have a problem, but otherwise she has been a very good Agent and helped us get get the house.

Regards

Sandra

Guest mark&rachel

I think Real Estate or Estate Agents are the same all over the world. They are in it for themselves. Thats understandable as everybody needs to make a living and unfortunately they are commission based.

From my experience they dont care about the long picture as they dont need to really. You may say ' i would never buy from them again' but reality is if you really love the house then you will.

We have had terrible experiences here and UK but thats life. Our one here has been awful but as somebody reminded me - they work for the Landlord not you and will try save a buck wherever they can.

Best of Luck for everyone dealing with Real Estate. Your need it

Never had a problem with any agent. L J Hooker, Professionals (twice), Ring Partners, and Residential Letting ......... all good. Have known all the property owners too, and all have been excellent. Our current landlady is fantastic.

You must remember that you are signing a contract when you take up a lease, and yes cobweb removal is usually in it, as is the fact that it is a tenants responsibility for utilities to be connected!

The agents are there as middle man for the landlord AND the tenant to ensure the property is maintained to a decent standard. Make sure you have, and read thoroughly, and comprehend, the tenants handbook that you get when you sign a lease.

I always have to smile when I read some peoples expectations when they rent a property. Having rented for oooooh about 10 years or so (4 houses) with NO problems it makes you wonder if attitude comes into it.

Now ducking for cover ......................

Guest mark&rachel

Your probably right attitude will come into it to a certain degree. But simple things like heating/air con and the like is not an attitude problem.

Some tenants do expect too much but some dont. You have been lucky if you have had 4 houses and no probs. Maybe we have had your problems for you.

We also rent properties out in London and the agents are just as bad there though and that me speaking as a Landlord not a tenant!

• 2 weeks later...