Location, location

Sears Family

Hi all,

Being one of the many people who have not visited before being offered a job I'm a bit stuck on deciding where to live!:wacko:

Just wondered if anyone would like to help out a little.

We have 2 kids (12 & 7) so would be great to have a secondary & Primary close together.

My job is based in Fullarton and a lot of the work will be on client sites in and around the city. We want to be in good reach of the City but so long as we have good shops nearby, parks (we're bringing a dog) and even a cinema we'd be happy (currently have to travel 40mins to get to one here!). We'd like to be near to the beach (or at least see it) so we know we're in Oz but only really want to stretch to $400pw for rent and looking for 2 reception rooms and/or a 4th bedroom.

Also concerned about the Flight path - should I be? What areas would be affected by this?

So... we've considered Seaton / Henley beach area - seem to have good public transport links although assumed problems are smaller houses (in our price range) compared to further south.

Brighton, Hove, Marion all seem attractive areas and reasonable cost. How far would you say to the City?

Hallet Cove has some good sized houses with sea views, but is it too far for a daily commute? :err: Also is public transport any good from here? NB I am a consultant and used to travelling a long way to get to a meeting so wont be too put off with a commute, but would it get too much day after day!??

Is a pool a possibility in this price range? BTW does the landlord pay for maintenance on pool or is that another expense we have to consider?

If anyone can advise on these areas and recommend schools that would be a great help!

Sorry seemed to have asked a lot here! Any advice most welcome.

Thanks Von xxx

Guest willfam
Any feedback would be most welcome!

Am I mad to even consider a daily commute from HC to City?

Any areas I should avoid due to flight path?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Von

All of the area you mentioned would be fine. Hallet Cove during normal traffic would be around 30 mins to the city, during rush hour I would say 45mins - 1 hour absolute maximum. It is a very easy commute.

Usually if you are renting and there is a pool you are responsible for the maintanence not the owner.

Areas in the flight path would be Thebarton, Cowandilla, West Beach, Mile End .

Guest shella_n

Hi

I absolutely LOVED Hallet Cove but it was too far a commute for us as OH works in Salisbury definately think it would be ok for you though.

We looked a lot around Fulham and Fulham Gardens. Not sure what your price range is but getting anything decent in our price range was HARD. We put in 2 applications for houses with pools - one was maintained at Landlords cost the other at tenants cost. There were heaps and heaps of people that turned up for the opens and we got rejected on both of the houses we applied for as competition was so strong. So we are in Mawson Lakes now but would defo move to Hallet Cove if I could. Also have a look at Sheidow Park - its just across the road from HC and is lovely with a good school.

Michelle

Any feedback would be most welcome!

Am I mad to even consider a daily commute from HC to City?

Any areas I should avoid due to flight path?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Von

I drive from Seaford to Royal Park everyday and it takes. me 4o mins in a morning leaving the house @ 6.10 am and i leave work @ 3.3o om and it takes me 60 mins to get home.....its not a bad drive either its straight up one road virtually....

Check out whereis.com for maps

HG

Also the northern end of Glenelg North.

However Adelaide airport is not very busy so plane noise is not a major problem, not in comparison with UK airports.

We rented in Glenelg north when we first arrived you get used to planes going over and stop talking for a few seconds till they pass over.

We rented in Glenelg north when we first arrived you get used to planes going over and stop talking for a few seconds till they pass over.

Yes, we rented a unit on the Esplanade for almost 2 years. I think I knew the timetable by heart, at least for the big planes. I could tell if it was a 737 or an Airbus or a jumbo without looking, just from the engine noise (sad but true). It even got to the point of noticing when the daily Qantas to Singapore was late!! (don't think there is one now). :GEEK:

The noise doesn't bother you after a while and the sight of a jumbo coming in to land and hovvering over the sea was quite spectacular.

Guest Michael Collins Toop&Toop

It is lovely down around Hallet Cove, but for me would be too much of a commute in rush hour traffic. Are you absolutely dead set on being by the beach and having a pool? There are some great areas to live around where you will be working and walkable to the CBD through the lovely parklands (although rents will be higher) but may be worth you doing a realestate.com search for areas such as Parkside, Fullarton, Frewville, Glenside, Burnside, Norwood, Goodwood, Unley, Hyde Park - if you want to avoid the commute and be handy for the city. If you are set on being coastal then Henley and Grange are lovely with a bit of life, or anywhere around Glenelg, Somerton Park or Brighton. If you don't mind the longer commute and want more for your money (think of the fuel cost against the rent though!) Port Noarlunga is great especially the beach in the summer.

You can register online at www.toop.com.au to receive email alerts of new rental properties as they come available.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Michael www.michael.collins.toop.com.au