Where to live?

Guest Nesslassie

Guest Nesslassie

Hello All,

My husband and I will be moving to Adelaide at the end of the year with our 2 year old son and I was wondering if you can give me some recommendations of which areas to look at for renting.

My husband will be working in Grenfell Street and I will possibly try and pick up some part-time work once we are settled.

We would like a family friendly area. Close to either beaches or parks. Not too fussed about schools yet as Charlie is only 2 but no more than a 40 minute commute for Andrew.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ness

Hi Ness

Wow what a question;) there are some lovely areas which are child friendly and close to beaches and parks, most areas have reserves and play parks for kids, Adelaide is very family friendly. As your husband is working in the city he could also travel in by train so this opens up an even wider area for you to look at. Generally the further out of the city you go the more you get for your money. Just to give you some ideas we lived in Blackwood when we first got here there is a train station, nice local shops and lots of parks and wildlife, its about a 15 minute drive to Brighton beach and the cafes of Jetty road and about a 35-40 minute drive into the city at rush hour then but I know they are building at Blackwood Park so dont know how this has affected it.

more centrally to the city and a beach is Henley Beach again nice area and cafe lifestyle. But a little bit more expensive. we moved further south as we got a bigger house and block of land for our money. In my humble opinion this is a great family area the beaches are less crowded and life seems to move at an even slower pace, there are some lovely places to live close to great beaches, Christies, Port Norlunga south, Seaford, Moana, seaford rise and the new seaford meadows to name just a few. travel to the city by car via the southern expressway can take around 40-45 minutes in rush hour there is also a direct non stop train from Noarlunga and they are planning to extend this line in the next couple of years to Seaford.

These are just a few lovely places for you to start with but there are so many more!!! we purchased a map on line to get to know where all the places where which are mentioned on realestate.com this may also help you see some of the areas as well!!

Happy Hunting:cute:

Kim

If your husband will be working in the city, maybe start by looking at public transport, train lines etc so you can see where they go and how long it takes to commute from different areas. I used to live in Glenelg many years ago and worked in the city and I had the option of driving, taking the tram or the bus, and to be honest I would vary it depending on the weather and just to stop the commute from getting too boring. It's useful if you can get to work by public transport for those days when you go for a drink after work. There were cheap all day car parks in the city but I did feel guilty if I drove in, clogging up the roads and not being very green.

See Welcome to the Adelaide Metro Website

Obviously the further you are out of the city, the more you get for your money when it comes to housing. Adelaide has loads of parks for kids everywhere - we have 6 playgrounds within walking distance from our house, plus the beach and the lake at West Lakes (much better than back in England). It is certainly very family friendly.

Hi Ness,

I have to agree with Kim. I am moving back to Port Noarlunga next month. I miss the space and taking the dog down to the beach doesn't feel like a major trip!

A really useful web site is Adelaide Bound - making migrating to Adelaide, South Australia easier. Info for those wishing to emigrate to South Australia Not only for where to live but for all sorts of great information.

Best bet is to hire a car from day 1 and get a feel for the different areas.

Enjoy!

Tamara