Chicken friendly.

Guest the terry's

Guest the terry's

Hi all,

Can anyone point me in a good direction for houses (around Flagstaff Hill area) that have big enough garden for keeping chickens? Do any other members keep chickens and if so, are there any different things I would need to know that are different from the UK?

Cheers,

Helenx

Guest motlyman

One of the things i like about houses here is that they are all different.

Not like in the uk where road after road look the same.

With this in mind, this goes for the gardens too. Some are huge and some are tiny.

When you find one look at google earth to give you an idea.

I think like the uk, the older houses have bigger gardens.

Don,t know anything about chickens im afraid.

Colin

Ps we are from Caversham

Onkaparinga Council have the following rules

Poultry

Council has guidelines about keeping poultry which aim to reduce the nuisance and/or health impacts for neighbours. No more than twelve birds can be kept and it should be remembered that a rooster’s noise can be a nuisance.

Development approval from Council may be required for chicken coops over ten square metres. Any poultry enclosure must be:

• No closer than twelve metres from any street or building occupied by any person

• One metre from any boundary fence

• Water proof and vermin proof

You would have to look at each house individually as they are all differing sizes and the gardens are often quite steep.

I live in Flagstaff Hill and have done for 7 years, never heard a chook, so I imagine not many people keep them around here.

We kept chickens (4). We just built the coop down by our back fence and clipped their wing and freeranged them during the day, shutting them in the coop at night. We didn't have a rooster. As for care, chickens are chickens anywhere. They will just need some shade for the summer. Nothing like real fresh laid eggs. Oh and our coop was built against the back fence, we didn't bother to look at council regulations. ;)

We looked into keeping chickens last year but two things put me off in the end: having to keep them cool for maybe a week of over 40 degree days (didn't fancy coming back from work to cooked chicken!) and the worry about attracting snakes into the garden (after the possible mice attracted by any chicken feed lying about!)

One of our neighbours has a rooster, and the people in the house that is nearest to hers get really really fed up with being woken up at sparrow's fart in the summer!!