Which Utility Provider?

Guest tpgc03

Hi all,

We are due to move into our rental on Monday and requested that a company called Direct Connect contact us re: utility providers. I have just taken the call from the company and they were wanting to sign us up to AGL. I basically said that I needed to do some more research and shop around to find tarriffs/rates etc.

From what I understood from the call we need to give a provider 3 working days to connect and a set up charge was quoted (AGL) of 40AUD for the electricity and 38AUD for the gas (Connection fees)

Does this sound right? Anyone out there willing to share who they are with? We need to make a decision over the next 24 hours in terms of who we are to go with?

In terms of our house we will be living in a small 3 bed courtyard home.

Any advice will be massively appreciated.

regards,

Guest moonraker1959

I'm not living in Adelaide at the moment,but is there a comparison type website you can look at to compare tariffs?Time is running out for you so I hope someone else will come along with some figures for you.

we are with AGL, at the time (2 years ago) there wasn't much between any of them but the leccy bills are getting a bit silly. dont know if its just AGL, but you do have to pay to connect and when you move you have to pay to disconnect and re-connect somewhere new unless you say your go else where and they might wave their fees:jimlad:. Dont forget they you have to pay standing charges here too!!

Guest cafehag

It's not terribly well known but this is how it works in SA -

The previous monopoly providers (AGL for Electrcitiy, Origin for Gas) have standing contract rates that are published. Other suppliers will make you market offers, usually x% discount against the standing contract rate.

Interestingly, AGL and Origin also have market rates that are discounted against their own standing contract rates.

As in the UK, there are better deals if you are prepared to tie yourself in, take a dual fuel offer etc.

The ESCOSA website has an energy price comparison service.

Hi all,

We are due to move into our rental on Monday and requested that a company called Direct Connect contact us re: utility providers. I have just taken the call from the company and they were wanting to sign us up to AGL. I basically said that I needed to do some more research and shop around to find tarriffs/rates etc.

From what I understood from the call we need to give a provider 3 working days to connect and a set up charge was quoted (AGL) of 40AUD for the electricity and 38AUD for the gas (Connection fees)

Does this sound right? Anyone out there willing to share who they are with? We need to make a decision over the next 24 hours in terms of who we are to go with?

In terms of our house we will be living in a small 3 bed courtyard home.

Any advice will be massively appreciated.

regards,

Hi I Have just signed up with Origin took me 5 mins online and no up front fee.

I recieved an email by return with all the contract details, and there is a 10 cooling off period.

Sounds to me like they are trying to rip you off.

Best wishes

Les