Renting - how does it work?

Guest Squareman

Guest Squareman

With a bit of luck, my 457 will come through around end Dec, beginning Jan. The master plan is to stay in a hotel for around a week and then start looking for a rental in the Glenelg, Brighton area.

So how does it work? I see from the realestate.com.au site that 'inspections' are offered at rental properties. Do you go along, have a look and then indicate your interest to the agent? What if two people want to the same property? Do you need references? How long does it take between the landlord accepting your offer and you actually moving in?

So many questions, I know........

Hi there

When you see a property that interest you in the realestate, you could go along with others on the "open" day. You also could register your interest for houses without the open date. The agent could make instant appointment for you to see the house, or note down and invite you when enough interest are registered.

If you are interested to rent the house, you ask a from the agent, and fill everything. We gave the agent a CV about who we were, a bank statement, and a reference from an agent back in England who sold our house. The reference was basically telling about how wonderful and easy for them to sell our house bla bla. We also mentioned that we were willing to pay 3 months in advance.

Usually it takes about 48 hours max to know whether you are succesfull or not. When we arrive in last September, it took us exactly 1 find the house and moved in the next week. But be careful that January is still holiday season here.

regards

Guest liamcnaught
With a bit of luck, my 457 will come through around end Dec, beginning Jan. The master plan is to stay in a hotel for around a week and then start looking for a rental in the Glenelg, Brighton area.

So how does it work? I see from the realestate.com.au site that 'inspections' are offered at rental properties. Do you go along, have a look and then indicate your interest to the agent? What if two people want to the same property? Do you need references? How long does it take between the landlord accepting your offer and you actually moving in?

So many questions, I know........

Check out rentals on reastate.com.au and either call or email agent to view property. Its either an open viewing where anyone can go along or private viewing...if you like get rental application from agent. You need to complete and produce documentation that adds up to at least 100 points. Phot id - passport, medicare card, australian driving license, birth certificate and any rental references (from uk or oz) and bank statement. Job contract also helps. ITs then fired back to the owner who decides on best applicant. Normally takes around 2 days for them to get back to you sometimes same day. Some of the properties state available now or available from date.

Hope this makes sense

Lia

Guest katsmajic

Id be booking into that hotel for longer than a week...

We stayed in a furnished rental for 2 weeks, and managed to get a long term rental within that time - but it was very close...

id give yourselves 2 weeks security of somewhere to live, and the time to chase down a rental...

Guest Squareman

That makes sense! Thanks all

Am just a bit worried about references. I have never rented in my life - have always owned property. Any suggestions on this front?

Guest shella_n

we had the same thing - had always owned our own home.

We took a copy of our bank statement, my husbands offer of work stating his salary (to show we could afford to pay) and some people say to take a letter from friends/neighbour to say that your house was alwayds well kept etc - we took a letter from the managing agents who are renting our house out in the uk to say what condition it was in.

We tried to get a rental in 2 weeks - found it impossible. We worked flat out at it and only JUST managed to do it in 3 weeks so I would definately say to give yourself more time.

Anymore questions just ask.

Michelle

Guest liamcnaught
That makes sense! Thanks all

Am just a bit worried about references. I have never rented in my life - have always owned property. Any suggestions on this front?

A couple of agents also asked me for a brochure of the house we sold back in the UK...

Holly molly, is it that difficult to rent a property? Currently our house is on the market, but being December time, it is not the best time to sell, so we may have to rent out our property for the time being.

On my hands and knees here, can anyone give us a list of "must have" items to bring with us to secure a rental property. At this moment I do not have a job offer in SA, so we will be flying solo on that front.

Regards

R

Guest liamcnaught
Holly molly, is it that difficult to rent a property? Currently our house is on the market, but being December time, it is not the best time to sell, so we may have to rent out our property for the time being.

On my hands and knees here, can anyone give us a list of "must have" items to bring with us to secure a rental property. At this moment I do not have a job offer in SA, so we will be flying solo on that front.

Regards

R

Here's a list from one of the rental agents

Own/owned own home (council or water rates notice) - 50 Points

Last 4 rent receipts - 50 points

Drivers licence - 40 points

Photo ID - 30 points

Health care card (medicare) - 30 points

Passport - 30 points

Routine/outgoing condition reports - 20 points

Two references from previous landlord/agents in writing - 20 points

Current motor vehicle registration papers - 10 points

Phone/gas/electricity accounts - 10 points

Bank statement - 10 points

Birth certificate - 10 points

Currenty Tenacy agreement - 10 points

If you are struggling with any of these the agent should give you an alternative.

Lia

We booked 2 weeks in a short term rental and ended up in another short term as could not get anywhere. Sometimes you turn up for an open and there may be 50 people looking at the house. A few we just turned round and left as there was so many people looking. You can always write a letter to the owner to put with the appilcation stating that you love gardening so will look after the garden, basically sucking up to them, thats what we were advised to do. Alternatively you could do what I did and talk to the agent, tell them that you are in short term and soon have to be out, start crying and act really pathetic and you get the house!!!!!!! Obviously I didn't plan to do that but it worked lol.

Just take as much evidence with you as others have suggested, good luck

Guest kerfumph

Jeez!

We went to the estate agents, asked if they had anything nice to rent. She said "try this one" gave us the keys and of we went. I think we left the daughter as security! Came back said 'Ok' she then rang the owner told him she had found some nice tenants, and we moved in next week after paying the bond an 1 month in advance.

Guest Squareman

Thanks again all. I think the bottom line is to be prepared as possible and perhaps book 3 weeks in a short term rental. Any advise on this front? Anywhere affordable but clean that you guys know of?

Hi Lia

we have always owed our home, never rented before (ever) , so what else do we need?

Are you saying getting a rental property is points based?

Thanks for your reply

R

It has taken us almost 3 weeks to find a suitable house, there just wasn't much about maybe because of the time of year. But it doesn't end there. We saw 2 houses one day and put in applications for both. The agent from the second house offered us a contract and we verbally agreed but the following day the first house was offered to us and prefering that one, we took it. When we told the second agent we didn't want the house and wouldn't be signing the paperwork she was furious and said she'd take us to a tribunal. In the small print on the application form it does say that a verbal agreement is legally binding, which we didn't realise. So be careful in what you accept. Obviously we should have read the small print, but it is a very stressful time and some things get overlooked.

Good luck, it's not easy.

roula

Hi Roula

Thanks for the warning, everyone knows to read the small print, but very few of us do!

Any other advice will be appreciated, and thanks again for the reply

R