Landlord obligations

Sears Family

Hi wonder if anyone can help. We have moved into a brand new house and having usual new home issues such as no bins or aerial.

But in trying to sort out Internet connection I find out that we have no phone line connected from the street to the house ! Plus there is some block which means I cant opt for the service that does not need a landline and been quoted $299 for the priviledge of setting it up!

Contacted my agent and she said she is not obliged to provide a landline!??

Surely this day and age it's essential PLUS when I move out she will benefit from the service I just paid for!

Can anyone advise on this situation or point me in the direction of tenant support?? Really need to get up n running!

Cheers for now xxx

Guest kerfumph
Hi wonder if anyone can help. We have moved into a brand new house and having usual new home issues such as no bins or aerial.

But in trying to sort out Internet connection I find out that we have no phone line connected from the street to the house ! Plus there is some block which means I cant opt for the service that does not need a landline and been quoted $299 for the priviledge of setting it up!

Surely this day and age it's essential PLUS when I move out she will benefit from the service I just paid for!

Can anyone advise on this situation or point me in the direction of tenant support?? Really need to get up n running!

Cheers for now xxx

Yep that's right. Does it say there's a phone on the lease? I guess no.

Cheers for now xxx

these are the guys you should talk to.......

OCBA - Tenancies

This has been raised a few times with other people....have a search thru some of the older posts....

HG

Plus there is some block which means I cant opt for the service that does not need a landline and been quoted $299 for the priviledge of setting it up!

Have you considered mobile internet - the card or dongle you can put into your computer so that you can use it anywhere - a benefit over a landline connection..

You can tell i'm not a computer buff!:biglaugh:

Guest Chandan

hi Yvonne,

We went the dongle route.. there are some pretty good deals at the moment when we signed up we got 8GB for $39 a month. In six months, last month was the first to go over that and the only thing different we did was let our 4 year old son loose on the cbeebies website.

We skype my husbands family overseas so thats free, and use our pay as you go vodaphone mobiles, with both hubby and i being on the same network get inclusive minutes to each other. I pay $49 a month -and use it for business and social, my hubby uses a $29 a month tariff so for $117 a month we get mobile broadband and mobiles.

It seems here if you wanted to go down the Telstra/Foxtel way that maybe an option. We would do that in our next place, but for now we are coping and if there's nothing on tv on the weekend we grab some dvd's from the local library.. or from Blockbuster -thinking of your kids on that one..

PS. Im in Edwardstown, saw your previous post about babysitters/mum swap think its a great idea. Although I have my mum here she goes to Tassie for a few months each year so I would be interested it clocking up 'hours' I have a 4 year old and a almost one year old, who as I nannied for 12 years in London are well trained and sleep like logs!! You should try and get a network up and running so there is some kind of 'babysitting tree' Im sure it'll be successful.. and I used to babysit from 10 years old, with my neighbours, mum was just next door , how my career in nannying started!! keep me in mind if you cant find anyone else. this weekend is out, as it is my hubbies work xmas do too..

Hi thanks for your help :)

How good is the 8gb is it fast enough or is it mouse speed?

Also How good is skype on it? Sorry for all the questions but unsure @ dongles!

Re babysitting I'll have a look into that! Sure I'm pretty easy going and happy to help out so should get together at some point so kids don't feel too stranded!

Regards

Von x

Guest Carolandcraig

Hi Von, where on the same estate as you and had the same issues, I spoke to our agent and telstra, we had to pay the initial outlay to have the landline installed but got a refund of $240 ($60 is the standard connection fee apprently) this was agreed with the agent and landlord. As for the broadband, i know where your coming from, the only company that can provide adsl 2+ is telstra although you should be able to get normal braodband from anyother supplier. I will PM you with what i was told about broadband.

We lived in 3 new rental houses during our time in Australia, and the owners always paid for the connection to the house, but we had to pay for the connection. Telstra were a nightmare on all 3 occasions, as they kept telling me that we had phonelines to the house due to the fact that in each case a property had been knocked down and new homes built. However the lines had always been disconnected at the roadside. At our last rental, there was no provision or wiring installed when the house was built for the telephone, and eventually Telstra did all of the installation from roadside to lounge, whixh I seem to remember the fitter told me they were obliged to do. Do not accept the word of the Agent about not having a phone line, as I was told once that this was the case and fought it, and the landlord paid for the line.