Help

LisaWebster87

we arrive in 3 weeks and still have nowhere to stay

our budget is approx 350p/w and we are applying for everything in glenelg and heley beach areas but the agents just arent getting bck to us, in constant contact wit toop&toop but kinda feel like we are pestering them

holiday lets are looking at around 600p/w at least and that using up money that we need to keep for a bond etc

what should we do just want to scream :arghh:

hi there,we know how you feel.it's really hard to get a rental in that area.you will go to the open days and could be competing with 7 other families in your situation.they don't seem to want to even talk to you until you get here and then it's still hard going.we really wanted to live in glenelg/henley/west beach but we had to get settled sooner rather than later,as you said short term rentals can eat away at your money so we looked a bit further affield were it is cheaper and there is more choice.hope that helps.mick n'sharon

You've got three choices really - accept that these are really highly sought after areas and settle on finding somewhere outside of these areas (with the option of breaking the lease early at some stage once you find a place in Brighton/Henley); bite the bullet and rent somewhere shortterm for a few weeks and go in person to the opens in the area you want to settle longer term; or hope and pray that someone wants to break their lease in those suburbs - but that's a really long shot.

I'd go for either the first or second option, with the second being favourite. If you have to pay $500-$600 for, say three weeks, it surely can't break the bank that much, and at least you'll have somewhere furnished to get over the jetlag when you first arrive. If you break it down into a per night price, it's really not all that much.

There are a few short term rentals around at the lower end of the range - have a look at the Short Term Rentals ad on here (under Jobs and Business Ads section I think)

hi there,we know how you feel.it's really hard to get a rental in that area.you will go to the open days and could be competing with 7 other families in your situation.they don't seem to want to even talk to you until you get here and then it's still hard going.we really wanted to live in glenelg/henley/west beach but we had to get settled sooner rather than later,as you said short term rentals can eat away at your money so we looked a bit further affield were it is cheaper and there is more choice.hope that helps.mick n'sharon

forgot to add,we did do a short term rental for 2 weeks when we got here while we sorted our rental out

Guest emaas99

Hi - it's highly unlikely you'll get a rental before you arrive here. I really would recommend staying in a short term let whilst you sort yourself out. You can always do one of the nice cabins in the caravan park at Seacliff/Brighton if you're watching your pennies - about $60-$100 per night, and cheaper for weekly rates.

Guest agnex99
we arrive in 3 weeks and still have nowhere to stay

our budget is approx 350p/w and we are applying for everything in glenelg and heley beach areas but the agents just arent getting bck to us, in constant contact wit toop&toop but kinda feel like we are pestering them

holiday lets are looking at around 600p/w at least and that using up money that we need to keep for a bond etc

what should we do just want to scream :arghh:

You are not alone, i am also in your shoes, driving me crazy.... when it comes to using up all my savings just to pay the rental... really

Yes you're better getting a really short term rental anyway because unlike in the UK where estate agent particulars and photos are I think more regulated, here they seem to be a law unto themselves (and get away with a lot) and it could turn out to be a mistake committing to something you haven't seen. Be careful about that - it's risky for them to sign up with someone out of the country, really you are better waiting till you are here.

Guest agnex99
have a look at www.adelaideshorescaravanpark.com.au it is in west beach so very handy for going to the opens.they have all kinds of holiday accommodation there.it's only 5 minutes from the airport so ideal for the first couple of days while you have a rest and sort something else out.

Is this website correct, cant open it..anxious now