Some advice on where to live please

Guest nitrox32

Guest nitrox32

Hi there,

Im mid thirties and single (male) heading to Adelaide in April. Here is a random challenge for you all.

Im looking for a place to stay near the sea so that I can do a few runs on the beach and when a bit stressed at work do a little fly fishing. Ive looked at Glenelg (visited there last year) but it was a bit too commercial for me. I did not make it further south but would appreciate thoughts on those suburbs.

What are the suburbs like way up north? ie 50km outside of Adelaide? I dont mind travelling to work. Lets face it I do more than an hr commute everyday now :)

I have looked at West Lakes online but see there is a sewerage works near by. With that Im sure there are some associated smells. Are the works still operating? If so are they as smelly as I expect? And for those fishermen out there, are there any fish in the lakes and if so is this salt water? I assume so being so close to the sea.

Then if you ignore the above and purely go for close to work, Ive looked at North Adelaide which seems nice. What other suburbs would people highly recommend for an active social scene? Nice bars, restaurants etc

Thanks for your help

Shawn

Guest kangomik

westlakes sewage? do you mean the plant close to Glenelg at the end of the runway?

You won't smell it at west lakes, well i never have when i have been there.

50K's north of city, no real beaches, unless your looking at Virginia two wells area and looking at the beaches that way, i think one is called Thompsons Beach, never been.

Fly fishing, i think there's a place towards victor harbour but it's for sale, yes the rest is salt water near the coast but i do think one or two boys on here know about some fresh water fishing for carp etc on estates, a little hush hush.

Mawson lakes has a nice vibe to it, but has bolivar sewage works not to far away....... again i never smelt it, but parafield gardens can get a draft from there.

Magill and norwood have some nice places around the city.

At the end of the day mate would you travel 50 miles from where you live now, walk in the local boozer and ask any tom dik or harry sat at the bar where to live?

You wouldn't, but amazingly people do on here, and their not even sat next to them when they ask :biglaugh:

Guest timstoolbox

While reading your post I thought the South had it all for you until I read "active social scene". I spent my single life in Norwood which was awesome, but met a Southern gal and moved here for the peace and quiet (and much cheaper housing!). I dislike Glenelg for the same reason as you. Marino/Kingston Park may be your best bet as it has elements of the South, nice beaches and hills (not sure of the local fishing) and a long-ish stagger home with a skinfull on a Saturday. Also some gorgeous walking trails and touristy stuff, and the locals are all decent folk. Real Estate is on the high side unless you are into Caravan parks, and the local park there is very nice for your temp accom.

Hope this helps with your research.

Definitely Unley or Goodwood - then you can catch the tram down to Glenelg for a jog, but have the city within easy reach and the bars/cafes locally. Otherwise Norwood is fantastic, or North Adelaide, and you can jog through the parklands. Southern beaches are great for families, but perhaps not quite what you have asked for in terms of liveliness!

The Barossa. No one else on here seems to live up here but I love it. Good countryside, community spirit. 1 hr to CBD with the new expressway. No noise, graffitti, traffic, crime (I know by UK levels Adelaide has very little of these but its even less up here). May be a bit quite if you're single. Best of all - the wine and the wine, and the wine.

Guest kangomik

Spanners i agree, i get to work in the area a bit now, the people are so friendly and you don't see any spray paint on signs etc, unlike other area's around Adelaide.

I don't think it has the social side the OP is seeking, but with that new road it is a blast getting back to the city.