Rental soughts - running out of time - advise needed please

Guest Etienne

Guest Etienne

Hi,

I am getting a bit stressed as I leave for Adelaide at the beginning of March and there is still so much to do.

I will be arriving on Friday 4/3/2011 whilst my wife will stay behind in the UK to wrap things up here. I have just over a week there before I start working so in that time have to sort out a vehicle and accommodation and that is proving to be much more of a problem than I anticipated (finding rental accommodation here in the UK just do not seem that difficult).

My wish list:

As close to the CBD as possible

Approx $400pw to spend

We will only bring a few furniture pieces with as we are renting out our place here in the UK

Must allow a well behaved cat

Now I very rarely see places that allow for pets, how do I get the landlords to consider us with a cat

I assumed that there would be many places furnished, but this seems to be not true, so what are my options, wait until I get there to buy the essentials (such as beds, etc), or buy them here and ship them over (I do not want to buy at garage sales as I truly do not have the time to do that)

Do houses come with white goods (or if it is unfurnished, it truly means unfurnished completely) other than here in the UK where you normally get a stove, oven, fridge, freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer

Would two weeks in short term accommodation be enough for me to secure long term accommodation?

Please advise your thoughts guys,

Many thanks,

Etienne

hey, im arriving on the 7th of feb, been looking nfor a rental now for a few months, my advice... give up, agents arent interested unless you are viewing the property first, but even then people already in oz are getting priority, i also found out today they dont put some properties on the web pages so that less international applicants apply.

i suggest either a short term rental or a hotel for around 2 weeks, annd hopefully you will have something lined up aafter that, we haave booked an appartment for 2 weeks as where in the same circumstances as you, lotss of late nights and no progress so i defo suggest short term to begin

good luck

Guest Etienne

Hi Lisa,

Please let me know how you guys get on. As you are there before me, you will hopefully be able to give me some advise.

And also thankyou to Kas17 :-)

Kind regards,

Etienne

Guest Jo&Phil

Have a look on the 'Business' section of PIA as there are some members who manage rentals and they may be a good source of advice.

It's much easier to find something for a short or long term let when you arrive and even places that say 'no pets' may be persuaded if you have a gentle cat rather than half a dozen Great Danes (lol) 0 not that there is anything wrong with lovely Great Danes (says she as one snores at her feet).

White goods (fridges, etc) may not be included and properties are regularly let unfurnished but you can pick up things cheaply to start you off.

My advice is....... http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/renting-real-estate/6478-rental-nightmare-those-coming-over-warned.html

I know this was a few years back. However, the percentage of available rentals has dropped so I would suggest its even harder these days. I know some people have been lucky in this regard but I also know of people that struggled like we did.

Good luck. I hope you are oneof the lucky ones.

Hi Etienne

It took us 3 weeks to find a rental, there just wasn't much about. We wanted to be very close to the CBD but ended up a little further out. And rentals closer to the CBD can be expensive. You get more for your money further out. My husband can walk home from the CBD, so we are not so far away.

Most of the houses we saw had cookers, a few with dishwashers. That's it.

It seems that most rentals advertised don't want pets, but maybe this could be negotiated with the owner.

Good luck. It's a very stressful process. There aren't enough houses and too many people searching.

roula

We arrived on 10th Nov and moved into our accommodation on 10th Dec. We saw many houses but eventually got one but in order to secure we offered over the advertised weekly rental amount. It is really horrible going to open days as there is a real sense of panic with everyone wandering about.

Dont be too caught up on location to CBD as the public transport is good and you can be quite far out the city but only 20/30mins on a bus. Give you time to read a book. :)

We found that between $475 & $600 per month was a very good budget to have for a 3 / 4 bed in a good area (to be honest thou there a few bad areas!) and by law there has to be a cooker /hob / oven but that is all that is required to be provided, no phone line also.

We did not have problems with references needed but we know people who have. My advice is to get your boss in the uk to write a reference about how trustworthy and reliable etc and get your bank to give you one stating you have always paid your mortgage on time or if you are renting get the rental agency to do it. You can open a bank account from the UK (we did it with NAB) and transfer cash into it before you come and then when you arrive pick the cards up from the branch.

Once you have 10 transactions they will give you a statement and stamp it for you. Oh and you will need 2 weeks rent immediately and then when you move in your bond - 6 weeks rent!! Most agents will only accept a cheque for the bond too.

Think i have waffled on a bit but it is a stressful time to get somewhere more permanent. There is a good place called Gepps Cross that have loads of home shops and you can haggle between a few of them to get the prices down on white goods and sofa etc once you know what you will need.

Good Luck,

xxxxxxx

PS The Advertiser on a Saturday has private rentals in it which may be easier to secure.

Guest agnex99
hey, im arriving on the 7th of feb, been looking nfor a rental now for a few months, my advice... give up, agents arent interested unless you are viewing the property first, but even then people already in oz are getting priority, i also found out today they dont put some properties on the web pages so that less international applicants apply.

i suggest either a short term rental or a hotel for around 2 weeks, annd hopefully you will have something lined up aafter that, we haave booked an appartment for 2 weeks as where in the same circumstances as you, lotss of late nights and no progress so i defo suggest short term to begin

good luck

Hi we are arriving on 3 feb and have book hotel until the 7th, probably we could make friends and get to know together and work out something on short term property while looking for longer time, we hope to live as budget as possible and i think you would have the same mind as me? I am interested to know you and family and if you are interested pls email me at agnex99@hotmail.com

Hi Ettien,

Befor we left the Uk 2 years ago, we contacted some agents and asked for their advice; some were good, others just bloody rude!

However, we did get some good advice from one guy; bring with you some references ( we got 1 from our vicar neighbour, my boss, and our bank manager!); enough money to pay a months rental in advance (no mean feat with a family of 6 to house!) and make sure you contact them as soon as you can when you get here!

We were lucky, a big persistant family gets remembered!!

Also, dont limit yourself to being very central; as said, you can travel fairly easily around the metro area...........anywhere within 10 klms, but you will pay a premium for a place near the CBD.

Keep at it, and good luck

Jane

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

HI

I'd suggest you go to ikea when you get here, buy your stuff and get it delivered the next day. All electrical shops deliver (like england), and you could even hire a washer through radio rental sto be cheaper for you till you get your first coupole of pay packets. We hired a van for $100, and took it to ikea, bought everything we needed that morning and built it that afternoon, if you're determined everything is possible. We landed on the friday lunchtime and were out looking at proeprties the next day (even with jet lag) and had secured the first rental we saw, just for the sake of it. YOur best bet is not to be fussy, there's too much competition. Try to book a caravan or something, we booked a holiday loet in glenelg just for peace fo moind, before we arrived for two weeks, it was a lovley place to start.:cute:

Try to book a caravan or something, we booked a holiday loet in glenelg just for peace fo moind, before we arrived for two weeks, it was a lovley place to start.:cute:

This is so important - when you've travelled half way round the world, are jetlagged, tired, and thinking "what on earth have we done", there is nothing worse than being in a miserable, bare room with no proper bed, staring at blank walls, not even a cup to make a cup of tea... I really think it makes such a difference to your whole attitude if you are able to relax when you first arrive, get a proper, comfortable night's sleep, and then look at everything with fresher, happier eyes!

Guest maggieandrich
Hi,

I am getting a bit stressed as I leave for Adelaide at the beginning of March and there is still so much to do.

I will be arriving on Friday 4/3/2011 whilst my wife will stay behind in the UK to wrap things up here. I have just over a week there before I start working so in that time have to sort out a vehicle and accommodation and that is proving to be much more of a problem than I anticipated (finding rental accommodation here in the UK just do not seem that difficult).

My wish list:

As close to the CBD as possible

Approx $400pw to spend

We will only bring a few furniture pieces with as we are renting out our place here in the UK

Must allow a well behaved cat

Now I very rarely see places that allow for pets, how do I get the landlords to consider us with a cat

I assumed that there would be many places furnished, but this seems to be not true, so what are my options, wait until I get there to buy the essentials (such as beds, etc), or buy them here and ship them over (I do not want to buy at garage sales as I truly do not have the time to do that)

Do houses come with white goods (or if it is unfurnished, it truly means unfurnished completely) other than here in the UK where you normally get a stove, oven, fridge, freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer

Would two weeks in short term accommodation be enough for me to secure long term accommodation?

Please advise your thoughts guys,

Many thanks,

Etienne

Hi Etiene

We may be the answer to your problem!

We live in Enfield, in a very nice 3 bed bungalow. dble garage Air/con outside entertainment area. It's a 10-15 min drive to the very centre of the CBD, with a local bus route in, minutes away. There is a very nice little shopping complex also moments away. We live in a very quiet cul de sac, so no passing traffic. We're a family of four adults, and it's a little small for us, and a bit of a jaunt for my hubbies work in Marion. So we're looking to move, if your intested PM me and I can give you more details

• 3 weeks later...
Guest midwifeonthemove
Hi we are arriving on 3 feb and have book hotel until the 7th, probably we could make friends and get to know together and work out something on short term property while looking for longer time, we hope to live as budget as possible and i think you would have the same mind as me? I am interested to know you and family and if you are interested pls email me at agnex99@hotmail.com

Hi All,

I am watching this thread with interest as we are arriving on the 5th March. We have booked holiday accomodation for 3 weeks, and hope to secure a long term rental in that time aaarrgghhhhh.....We still have no idea where to focus on to be honest. My husband will be working in the CBD and I'll be doing agency all over...schools MUST be good..happy to pay for it if necessary :arghh: Rental budget for a 4 bed up to 700-800 pw....any suggestions greatly recieved.

T x

Wow, 700-800 a week???????? Australian or English???

Here's my advice re rental applications:

Take your children to the inspections, don't hide them away. I think it is far better to show off well behaved children than simply list them on the application form.

Bring references with you. At least 4 personal references. Have them refer to the state of your house in UK, whether that person has properties to rent out themselves and whether they would consider you suitable tenants, have them refer to your children's behaviour and the way they look after their own items. (I didn't ask our referees to say that but they all did and I am SO grateful).

Print out your bank statement online on the day of the inspection. Also print out a list of mortgage payments / rent payments to show that you have paid money on time and regularly.

Photocopy your passports (including the VISA pages). Also any other docs you have from your visa application or anything else that constitutes ID and helps your cause, in your opinion.

Get medicare cards and driving licences sorted out immediately when you get here, and copy those for your applications.

I also included our marriage cert, but didn't bother with birth certs cos I gave them the driving licences and passports.

(I also copied our rego papers for the cars, and other docs you won't have yet because you are not resident - but someone already living here may be reading this so I am including it for the whole picture).

I included our previous landlord's (glowing!) reference which I couldn't have asked for better -they even said that the neighbours had said how well behaved our children were, and that we left the house immaculate inside and out. If you have some way of standing out by doing something like this, then do it.

If you are renting out your house in the UK, submit proof of your agreement with the agency you are using, and photos of your house. Someone else said something similar on here, and I thought that was a very good idea. If you sold it, include a copy of the estate agent's particulars and proof of title and maybe your completion statement.

I front loaded the applications with all these papers before we went to the inspections. Where possible, I obtained the application form from the agent before the inspection and completed it and compiled all the papers before we looked at the house. Handed it to the agent at the inspection, or didn't, if we didn't want it for any reason. A lot of work each time but worth it.

We got the third one we applied for this time round. It is our third rented place. First one we cheated because we had family here, and we turned out to know the landlord through DH's parents so once they knew we wanted it, it was ours. So we were in the unusual position of having the place sorted before we came and furnished by family with borrowed things till our stuff got here. But the second one we did the proper way, and it wasn't too bad. This time the market is much tougher and I have had to do the above things.

If you have to apply for more than one consecutively (beware the fact that applications are intended to be legally binding - I wouldn't take that lightly and apply for more than one at a time myself) you will need your pack of papers again and you won't get them back from the first place. So make sure you have several packs of identical papers in advance, so you can just put them with each application as you do it and won't have to run around photocopying in a hurry.

Present the documents neatly in an A4 envelope with your name and the property address written on the front. If you don't want the house when you get to it, just don't hand it in, and use a different envelope for the next one.

For the house we did end up getting (third we applied for but am so glad and know we were being Looked After when we were rejected from the first 2) I wasn't able to obtain the application in advance. Some will, some won't, and it appears to be random even within same name real estate agents. So I took all the pack of docs, and we decided pretty quick, I told the agent I was going to fill in the application and had all my papers with me - I sat in the car while DH and the children stayed in the house and completed the inspection till kicking out time, and then I went and handed it to her before she left. Fantastic.

And she remembered my children because one of them spoke to her extremely politely of his own volition and she was impressed by it. So my 3YO got a treat for helping us to get the house. Sweet boy. So yes, take your kids to viewings. :)

Guest midwifeonthemove
Wow, 700-800 a week???????? Australian or English???

Here's my advice re rental applications:

Take your children to the inspections, don't hide them away. I think it is far better to show off well behaved children than simply list them on the application form.

Bring references with you. At least 4 personal references. Have them refer to the state of your house in UK, whether that person has properties to rent out themselves and whether they would consider you suitable tenants, have them refer to your children's behaviour and the way they look after their own items. (I didn't ask our referees to say that but they all did and I am SO grateful).

Print out your bank statement online on the day of the inspection. Also print out a list of mortgage payments / rent payments to show that you have paid money on time and regularly.

Photocopy your passports (including the VISA pages). Also any other docs you have from your visa application or anything else that constitutes ID and helps your cause, in your opinion.

Get medicare cards and driving licences sorted out immediately when you get here, and copy those for your applications.

I also included our marriage cert, but didn't bother with birth certs cos I gave them the driving licences and passports.

(I also copied our rego papers for the cars, and other docs you won't have yet because you are not resident - but someone already living here may be reading this so I am including it for the whole picture).

I included our previous landlord's (glowing!) reference which I couldn't have asked for better -they even said that the neighbours had said how well behaved our children were, and that we left the house immaculate inside and out. If you have some way of standing out by doing something like this, then do it.

If you are renting out your house in the UK, submit proof of your agreement with the agency you are using, and photos of your house. Someone else said something similar on here, and I thought that was a very good idea. If you sold it, include a copy of the estate agent's particulars and proof of title and maybe your completion statement.

I front loaded the applications with all these papers before we went to the inspections. Where possible, I obtained the application form from the agent before the inspection and completed it and compiled all the papers before we looked at the house. Handed it to the agent at the inspection, or didn't, if we didn't want it for any reason. A lot of work each time but worth it.

We got the third one we applied for this time round. It is our third rented place. First one we cheated because we had family here, and we turned out to know the landlord through DH's parents so once they knew we wanted it, it was ours. So we were in the unusual position of having the place sorted before we came and furnished by family with borrowed things till our stuff got here. But the second one we did the proper way, and it wasn't too bad. This time the market is much tougher and I have had to do the above things.

If you have to apply for more than one consecutively (beware the fact that applications are intended to be legally binding - I wouldn't take that lightly and apply for more than one at a time myself) you will need your pack of papers again and you won't get them back from the first place. So make sure you have several packs of identical papers in advance, so you can just put them with each application as you do it and won't have to run around photocopying in a hurry.

Present the documents neatly in an A4 envelope with your name and the property address written on the front. If you don't want the house when you get to it, just don't hand it in, and use a different envelope for the next one.

For the house we did end up getting (third we applied for but am so glad and know we were being Looked After when we were rejected from the first 2) I wasn't able to obtain the application in advance. Some will, some won't, and it appears to be random even within same name real estate agents. So I took all the pack of docs, and we decided pretty quick, I told the agent I was going to fill in the application and had all my papers with me - I sat in the car while DH and the children stayed in the house and completed the inspection till kicking out time, and then I went and handed it to her before she left. Fantastic.

And she remembered my children because one of them spoke to her extremely politely of his own volition and she was impressed by it. So my 3YO got a treat for helping us to get the house. Sweet boy. So yes, take your kids to viewings. :)

Hi Sally,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I will make sure I have as much supporting evidence at possible. One thing I have noticed is the low number of rental properties available....we lived in Brisbane for 5 years and there were heaps of rental properties...loads often sat empty for months.

I hope I can rely on my children to behave themselves!!! The 700-800 per week was in $...do you think that would be adequate for a decent place within 20 mins of the CBD?

T x

Well it depends on what you are looking for, for your family. But I'd say it's far more than you really need.

We limited ourselves to a much lower rent (we are looking long term and are not buying for the forseeable) but i'd say there were great places definitely 600 and under.

put your criteria in on realestate.com and tell it to send you an email any time something is listed, or a daily digest probably, if you are not here yet. But 20mins from the CBD is pretty much most of Adelaide. Isn't it supposed to be a 20min city? So you could go a distance out, for that, and come in WELL under your budget IMHO.

Guest midwifeonthemove
Well it depends on what you are looking for, for your family. But I'd say it's far more than you really need.

We limited ourselves to a much lower rent (we are looking long term and are not buying for the forseeable) but i'd say there were great places definitely 600 and under.

put your criteria in on realestate.com and tell it to send you an email any time something is listed, or a daily digest probably, if you are not here yet. But 20mins from the CBD is pretty much most of Adelaide. Isn't it supposed to be a 20min city? So you could go a distance out, for that, and come in WELL under your budget IMHO.

20 mins city sounds fantastic! We have never visited Adelaide..my husband was offered a job there so we just made a snap decision at the end of Dec to go!! madness!!!! My husband is commuting into London daily..only 30 miles from us, but can take over 2 hours each way. So even 1 hour would be great!

Tx

20 mins city sounds fantastic! We have never visited Adelaide..my husband was offered a job there so we just made a snap decision at the end of Dec to go!! madness!!!! My husband is commuting into London daily..only 30 miles from us, but can take over 2 hours each way. So even 1 hour would be great!

Tx

What about you, have you got a job yet? That's pretty quick moving, the way I like to do things too!! I think I saw you might have posted on a midwifery thread.

You won't recognise your life if he travels 2 hrs each way. :)

Guest midwifeonthemove
What about you, have you got a job yet? That's pretty quick moving, the way I like to do things too!! I think I saw you might have posted on a midwifery thread.

You won't recognise your life if he travels 2 hrs each way. :)

Hi Sally,

Yes, I have been offered a job as a clinical midwife, but am thinking I may opt to do some casual work for the first 6-12 mths..just so that I am around to help the children settle. We have certainly moved fast...doing to have to hide all these greys before too long.

T x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest macwallis

hi Etienne

we are looking for tenants for 3 months beginning 22nd March til mid June. Our house is 40km south of Adelaide and you would need a car. It takes about 1 hour to drive to the city centre, but only 20 minutes to drive to the train station. W are happy to have pets. Our house is FULLY furnished with 3 bedrooms (2 queen and 1 single loft bed), 1 bathroom + ensuite. It is in a lovely rural enclave surrounded by built up areas, literally 5 minutes walk to the beach. This may not suit b/c its too far to the city for you, but if you are interested, can you please tell us a bit more about your situation/work/lifestyle?

Guest midwifeonthemove
hi Etienne

we are looking for tenants for 3 months beginning 22nd March til mid June. Our house is 40km south of Adelaide and you would need a car. It takes about 1 hour to drive to the city centre, but only 20 minutes to drive to the train station. W are happy to have pets. Our house is FULLY furnished with 3 bedrooms (2 queen and 1 single loft bed), 1 bathroom + ensuite. It is in a lovely rural enclave surrounded by built up areas, literally 5 minutes walk to the beach. This may not suit b/c its too far to the city for you, but if you are interested, can you please tell us a bit more about your situation/work/lifestyle?

Hi there,

I think 40 Kms south may be a too far out for my husband, he is working in the CBD 8-5 daily so 1 hour each way will certainly eat into his time at home.

Thanks for the info though.

Tanya x