Reputable builders

Guest Boff

hi all

Am sure I was a member on here years ago, but anyway New Year new account.

We are looking at getting an extension to our house. It is fairly big, but ultimately a 16.5m x 4m extension (approx 66 sqm), nothing too fancy with a couple of wetrooms.

The problem is that so far with 2 quotes, one $155000 the other $200000...these are both from reasonable well known companies, but are quoting more than the cost to build a 3 bed new build.......quite frankly at those prices they can shove them up their arse !!! To be honest at $3000 per sqm - I'm telling him he's dreaming !!!

Do any of you know a good, reputable, honest yadda yadda yadda builder who actually lives in the real world ??

Looking forward to any replies.......if there are any builders on the site, can you point to some examples of your work would be good !! Living south of Glenelg

keep it real x

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm a qualified bricklayer toadvanced level and qualified assessor and I am moving to Adelaide this year.

I agree the prices do seem to be high.

I would be happy to give a labour only price, the reason for the labour only price is with not being there and not knowing product prices it would be hard to give a accurate building material cost.

I would be looking for around $20 dollars per hr or I could give you one set price diveded into stage payments.

Please feel free to contact me.

I have an extensive port folio of completed work.

Hi I'm a qualified bricklayer toadvanced level and qualified assessor and I am moving to Adelaide this year.

I agree the prices do seem to be high.

I would be happy to give a labour only price, the reason for the labour only price is with not being there and not knowing product prices it would be hard to give a accurate building material cost.

I would be looking for around $20 dollars per hr or I could give you one set price diveded into stage payments.

Please feel free to contact me.

I have an extensive port folio of completed work.

If you're looking at $20 per hour, you can definately come & work at my house!!

When do you arrive??

Sarah

Guest cornish Busdriver

I would be looking for around $20 dollars per hr or I could give you one set price diveded into stage payments. QUOTE]

At $20 per hour you will be swamped with work lol lol lol.

Think you need to look at doubling you hourly rate to around $40 per hour as $20 does sound very very very cheap.

You get $20 per hour for shelf stacking at bunnings!

Put me down for an extension too at this rate! I need a 120 square metre extension. How can they charge those pprices when an entire house can be bought for around $100.000?

I have had a number of brickies who have stayed with me. They have usually been paid the award rate when they first found work and this has been $25 per hour. They do earn much more once they sort out the registration and work for themselves though.

Tamara

Guest guest569

[QUOTE=Testit;166423]$20ph? You wont even cover overheads! Unless of course you wont use PL insurance, contractors licence, advertising, vehicle ( pony?? ) etc

The bitterness of poor quality will long outlast the joy of a cheap price.[/quote]

That sounds a harsh post.

The guy is obviously still in the uk and probably trying to work out a day rate. little does he know and when he arrives he will see Australia are paying brickies around $1 a brick.Work is slowing down but we are not in recession YET !!!!

That sounds a harsh post.

The guy is obviously still in the uk and probably trying to work out a day rate. little does he know and when he arrives he will see Australia are paying brickies around $1 a brick.Work is slowing down but we are not in recession YET !!!!

Not that harsh, the sooner he realises his $20ph is way off the mark the better for him. Who wants a builder going bust on them?

Is this right a $ A brick that means a good 2-1 gang are turning round $1000 a day.

If thats the rates good luck guys I would be suprised if the rates stay so high for long.

The houses will be priced out of reach of the average earner.

I thought $20 dollars clear after tax is steady wage obviously miles off the mark. I Thought a $1000 a week would be OK.

I appreciate all the advice thanks guy's

$ a brick sounds good just remember all the raked jointing,washing walls,piers and small panels of brickwork a lot of windows.then take out materials,dpc,ties nails,cj foam and pins.before you get to that stage you need a license,insurance and all your own plant inc ute.its not cheap to set up but worth it $ a brick is more like 85c and you dont lay as many here.just my findings and ive run my own crew for three years.cheers mark.

• 7 years later...