Uncleaned new property

Guest Mitchell

Guest Mitchell

Hiya guys

Just wondered if anyone knows where I stand if the brand new house I just moved into hasn't been cleaned? Going to complain tomorrow morning but wanted some advice.

It's a new build and I'm the first to live in it but still. Floor grubby, patio, entrance and garage covered in lots of dust that's going to get walked in, everywhere inside covered in a layer of builders dust even inside cupboards and drawers and both toilets had been used by someone with serious bowel trouble and simply flushed! I've had to spend most of the weekend cleaning stuff before I can unpack. Not a happy bunny!

Guest guest3462

Hi michelle, it's not an av Jennings house is it? We had exactly the same proble when we moved into our new build. We complained to the builder. And threatened them with the ombudsman we took photos of eveything too. They sent a team of professional cleaners incwothin a week!! The toilet issue we discovered that hey actually wash their brushes and pots in there and just tip the paint filled water down the loo so as gross as that still is at least it's not poo!!!! Hope u get it sorted xxxx

Guest Mitchell

Thanks for the reply. Just realized that I've not mentioned that I'm renting this property. If it was just the builders I wouldn't be so cross. The real estate agent is supposed to have done an inspection. Clearly he gave it a bloke look!

Congratulations on your new place. It may be a rental but still your home for a while. Hope you took photos of the place before you cleaned it. Like Julia I think they should reimburse your for your cleaning time. Call the OCBA and ask where you stand on this though. I would think that if they gave it to you in that state then they wouldn't be able to complain if you didn't clean it when you left so obviously not the ideal scenario for them.

Have you had an ingoing inspection with the agents yet? I had a bizarre conversation with our agent yesterday when I said to her that the ingoing inspection sheet for the current house we are leaving, just listed dirt and cobwebs, instead of them having arranged for it to be cleaned. She said that if the landlord won't clean it, then they just list it. And if it is listed, the outgoing tenant can't be made to put it in a better condition.

So I have a very low standard to aspire to at the end of the week.

But I won't be leaving it in that condition cos that is horrid for the new person - finding it in the state that I did.

Not sure that answers your question but I am saying that make sure you are protected with the ingoing tenant inspection. Photograph everything (with dates on the photos), list and write on the list what you have noticed - anything broken etc -and make sure you and the agent both sign it if possible.

Then when you have recorded the dirt, contact the OCBA and find some sort of notice from the website requiring them to put it in a habitable condition. They may tell you there's no comeback in this position but basically you need to protect yourself so that they don't require the Ritz when you hand it back.

Tells you a lot about the agents doesn't it????!!!!!! I'd tell anyone to avoid mine at all costs. :) (are we allowed to name and shame???!!!!!). Someone who will list dirt instead of making a landlord provide a decent standard property isn't really to be trusted with other things. What would we think of an airline whose planes LOOK dirty and unmaintained? What would we expect of the quality of the engine or their safety record??????? Mmmm I think I'd go for the clean looking one on the runway and feel like I was flying a bit safer!

Call the OCBA and ask where you stand on this though.

This seems to be the answer to everything. Why go straight to the OCBA without actually speaking to the people you rented the house through.

I would think your first course of action would be to ring the rental agency and inform them that you want the property cleaned or you will be hiring a contract cleaner and issuing them the bill. If they do not give you any help ask to speak to the principal of the estate agent and tell them if you have had bad service from your property manager, often they are not aware of how the letting side of the business is being handled.

I would be interested who you rented through though.

The point in going to the OCBA before speaking to the agents (it's not compulsory, it just helps if you understand what your rights are, and what they aren't, before you either lose your temper and embarrass yourself and get even less out of them than you might have done) is understanding what everyone's rights and responsibilities on there.

Agencies don't seem to like tenants very much so kicking up a stink isn't really advisable. I always find the "polite but rather disappointed and need your help sorting this out please" kind of approach is the best way to win friends and influence people, rather than getting their defensive backs up and getting even less done than you would have before.

So if you know what you are dealing with (and let's face it, we are in a different country so we are hardly likely to have a good grip on landlord and tenant property law - even as a lawyer myself I am still preferring to research on the OCBA website, give them a ring or email if I need to, so that I know my rights and responsibilities BEFORE I speak to them). Saves having to say "I'm not happy about that I am going to check whether you are right or not". That is a weak thing to have to say, if you have the opportunity to say "it's my understanding that you have a duty to...".

Particularly when things are time specific, it's better to know where you stand. You know how strong your position is, and whether it's worth getting hot under the collar over. Sometimes things might be. Some things may not. :)

Hope that helps. THe OCBA are there to be used, by Landlords and tenants alike, and when someone is asking for advice on this website, it's actually really good advice to say "check with the OCBA". Because we can only give a steer on the right approach, and it's better to talk to people who advise people all the time.

Hope that helps. :)

kicking up a stink always does work...we know !!!

Our new place was pretty sptoless when we moved in....we built with Statesman...

I am sure you are entitled to a pretty clean and tidy place to move into.

HG

Morally you'd hope so wouldn't you! But I was amazed to have the conversation I had with my agent yesterday, when she said that they just listed the dirt on the ingoing inspection sheet because they can't make the landlord clean it, so they simply list it so that the outgoing tenant doesn't have to clean to a higher standard than they inherited it.

I like to leave places as, or better than I find them. So we are choosing to up the cleaning stakes and leave a decent house behind!!!! (Need an angelic smiley for that one don't i??!!!!!). angel10.gif

Our last rental in Adelaide was a new build, and was also very dirty when we moved in with a number of unfinished jobs waiting to be done, like washing line and TV aerial installation.

I complained to the agents, and advised them that I would not pay the full rent until things were put right, and then deducted money from the rent for doing the cleaning.

The agent seemed fully understanding, and advised the owner of our intentions who then accepted the position. After a couple of weeks everything was okay, so full rent was paid. We had to break our lease early, but the agent was very helpful regarding re-letting, and there were no hard feelings expressed towards us, so be firm if you are palced in this position.

Guest Mitchell

Quick update: went to the real estate office first thing Monday and they couldn't have been more helpful. Agent came straight back to the house and agreed to get the cleaners back to do it properly. I had some issues with the hot water and he'd phoned the plumber who met us at the house and fixed everything (including a leak that I hadn't spotted coz I hadn't used that sink yet) there and then. I didn't have much time as I had to be at work so the agent came back tonight to go through the inspection with me to make sure I'm now happy. Agent said I could have phoned him on Saturday even though they're shut then he could have fixed it sooner. Couldn't be happier with the service and can't believe I was so worried about what would happen when I complained. I can now get on with enjoying my beautiful new home.

Guest Mitchell
Oh wonderful Michelle!!!!

You'll have to give us a sneaky clue as to the name of the brilliant agent! Gold dust!!!!

A sneaky clue? Ok. They are a chain, the branch is in Woodville and they sound like ladies of easy virtue!