Hallet Cove? Where to live?

tori0609

Hello, we are hoping to be in Adelaide late 2011/early 2012 and we are not sure where to start off living. My husband is a bricky and I work in admin although a stay at home Mum for now to our 11 month old baby girl (Tabitha). We have heard good things about Hallet Cove, we liked the souind of the Hills but the risk of bushfire put us off. Ideally we would be in an easy distance from the centre (say 25 mins?) and also about that to the beach? Is that possible?

So many questions!! Thanks in advance for replies!

Tori

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nic-manchester

Hello Tori, just seen your post, My husband is also a brickie and we have been looking at hallet cove, and seacliff. We too hope to be there early next year or september time.

We have two children Olivia 5 and Isobella 2.

Its a mind field researching, have you been to Aus or adelaide before? Everywhere looks lovely.

were abouts are you on your application process? We are just waiting for decision for SS, then papework is ready for via to go in fingers crossed it won't be too long a wait

Hi there! Oh so good to find someone in the same shoes! just about to apply for SS (any tips with what to write?) and lookint at the exact same areas to live as well, we have Tabitha, 1 at the end of the month - looks like we aren't far behind you time-wise - will have to keep in touch! So scary isn't it?! Yes, we spent 6 months in Aus in 2007/8 though we didn;t visit Adelaide, sounds a bit strange that we are hoping to move there but long story! How about you, have you been there? How are you feeling about it all?

Guest nic-manchester

Hi Tori, we just wrote a little paragraph why we chose adelaide and why it suits us and what we aim to give back by emigrating there, we didn't go into too much detail but our agent said it ws ok. I found it such hard work getting all information in and filling the visa form out, but it is done now we just need to get two photogrpahs of each of us and send them on now, getting a 2 year old to sit in one of those machines is hard work in itself!!

We have never visited aus people think we are mad but we just know its the right thing to do, my OH brother is emigrating to brisbane he is a brickie they just having their medicals this week, its all very real now.

We are so excited and just can't wait to get there although lots to do before hand, its a mind field just thinking about everything from schools and places to rent and getting a job when we are there, I am still a bit apprehensive about OH finding work, you seem to find different opinions of bricklaying work overthere if you look up on here, hopefully we won't have a problem as he is quite handy and will throw his hand to anything, I am sure you are the same trades people seem to just get on with things.

How are you feeling about everything, you need to get a wriggle on with application start the ball rolling let us know where you are up to, if you go on the link SA sponsored timeline on recent discussions you will see a big group of people who are waiting for SS and how long it takes to get it and monitor peoples progress it is quite interesting :-))

We are in the exact same boat.

My wife works in admin and finance and I'M also a brickie.

We are also looking to settle around Hallett Cove or Port Noarlunga. Maybe we could team up.

We have our meds on Wednesday and just waiting for police checks to come back.

Hoping to arrive in Adelaide early September.

Hope all goes well with your move.

All the best Trev39 Vicki 39 and Lauren 9.

Guest nic-manchester
Sounds like you're further ahead than us - hope the meds and police checks go well, def up for meeting up with people in the same boat once we arrive - think we will be a bit shell-shocked for a while!!

wow more brickies and admin workers, sounds great to me teaming up and meeting up hope your medicals go ok and you have not to long a wait!

Just doing some research on port noralunga, it was one of my earlier choices, not too sure if it a bit far commuting distance for city though? I think I will find work anywhere though Have you been out and done a recce?

mixed views about bricklaying on here.

hey nic-manchester - somehow I completley missed your earlier post?! (sorry!) Tanks so much for the advice - will take it on board! All of these little steps seem to take a lot of sorting through old paperwork etc don't they! Do you have a house to sell as well? We only rent so don;t have that to worry about. I don;t think you're mad! You only live once, and the UK doesn;t seem to me to be getting a better place to live.

Thanks for the infor about the link too - will have a nosey on there, just waiting for birth certificate to come through (hopefully in the next few days) and will then submit SS. I'm already dreading the flight with a 1/2 year old - are you!? he he

We will all have to keep in touch and arrange a meet up on the beach once we get there? how surreal would that be?! Will you try to get work out there as well? We seem to go through phases of talking of nothing else but moving to oz and then it just goes out of my head for a couple of weeks, then I suddenly think of it again and panic/get excited etc!

think I'm waffling now!.........

We are in the exact same boat.

My wife works in admin and finance and I'M also a brickie.

We are also looking to settle around Hallett Cove or Port Noarlunga. Maybe we could team up.

We have our meds on Wednesday and just waiting for police checks to come back.

Hoping to arrive in Adelaide early September.

Hope all goes well with your move.

All the best Trev39 Vicki 39 and Lauren 9.

Hi Trevor we have our meds on wednesday ,are you having them in manchester.We are at about the same stage as you and hoping to be there by september. Just been to oz for 5 weeks and spent about 10 days in adelaide,iIf ya fancy meeting up in manchester send me a message on,we near Pontefract so not far from you either.

cheers Jim and Jayne

Oh, I also forgot to ask - what are the average wges that you are getting told for brickie in Adelaide? we seem to get really mixed opinions wherever we look so working our rent/finances once we there is a bit vague! How much experience etc do your hubbies/you have?

Guest nic-manchester
hey nic-manchester - somehow I completley missed your earlier post?! (sorry!) Tanks so much for the advice - will take it on board! All of these little steps seem to take a lot of sorting through old paperwork etc don't they! Do you have a house to sell as well? We only rent so don;t have that to worry about. I don;t think you're mad! You only live once, and the UK doesn;t seem to me to be getting a better place to live.

Thanks for the infor about the link too - will have a nosey on there, just waiting for birth certificate to come through (hopefully in the next few days) and will then submit SS. I'm already dreading the flight with a 1/2 year old - are you!? he he

We will all have to keep in touch and arrange a meet up on the beach once we get there? how surreal would that be?! Will you try to get work out there as well? We seem to go through phases of talking of nothing else but moving to oz and then it just goes out of my head for a couple of weeks, then I suddenly think of it again and panic/get excited etc!

think I'm waffling now!.........

Ho Tori

We do have house, but we going to rent it out we bought at right time and with exchange rates an everything else don't need to sell so going to keep as a little investment, we will sell though if we have to.

I am dreading the flight though Olivia will be six nearly seven and Bella probalby by the time we get visa's an go so a DS an a DVD some colouring books should be sorted, you on the other hand I feel for you it can be nightmare on plane but you never know might just sleep and be good for you! heres hoping :-0

I am hoping to work trying to time it for Bella starting schoold if we go next sept then she will start school in the Jan after their shut down, so many things to sort through, don't want to pay alot of childcare out and she is a funny thing anyway doesn't like new people an all that god help us taking her away from Nanna!!

In port Noaralunga there are some accountants I have been looking at, but to be honest I will do anything so long as it bringing in a bit of money although I think I will have so much to sort out when we get there I won't have time to work. How about you?

Has your OH researched the work situation out there?

Good luck with birth certificate, di you know that you can fill in SS and save it you get a ref No and when you have all doccuments together you just submit it and post originals to SA you can be getting on with the rest of paper work then, have you an agent?

Deifnately meet up when we there it's nice to have someone to natter to, sorry now I'm waffling! its a womans perogative x

Nicola 29 Nathan 30 Olivia 5 and Bella 2

we have ourmeds at 2pm.

Would be good to meet up but strugling on wednesday as my daughters has a birthday party, so need to get back to Bradford for 4pm.

But if your there around the same time then it would be great to meet up.

Hope all goes well for you with the meds.

How did you find Adelaide and where did you stay. I ask because we was supposed to go over at Christmas but our flights were cancelled due to the weather at heathrow so never got to do a reccie.

we have ourmeds at 2pm.

Would be good to meet up but strugling on wednesday as my daughters has a birthday party, so need to get back to Bradford for 4pm.

But if your there around the same time then it would be great to meet up.

Hope all goes well for you with the meds.

How did you find Adelaide and where did you stay. I ask because we was supposed to go over at Christmas but our flights were cancelled due to the weather at heathrow so never got to do a reccie.

We loved Adelaide,we stayed in Semaphore for 3 nights and then 7 nights in Glenhelg,we hired a car for the time we were there and had a very good look around at different areas from Port Adelaide in the north down to Hallett cove plus the city.We prefered the north places like Henleys beach and grange these didnt seem as far into the city as hallet cove .We had a look at some houses also.One of our freinds from the uk lives in Etherton which is just a bit further north than semaphore hes been there 15 years .Looking round the various areas we didnt really see anywhere that we wouldnt want to live although we would like to be close to the beach. Our meds are at 11.30

Hi Tori and Manchester-Nic

Hope you dont mind me joining in but im in exactly the same boat. Hubbie and i are both Nurses. We have 2 children Martha 6 and James 4. Went yesterday for medicals, police checks through. Hoping to be over in adelaide late 2011 early 2012. Like the look of Hallet Cove too. Have you had any shipping quotes yet? Bestwishes Michelle in Sheffield

Hi Michelle, great to be on touch with people at the same stage. I have had 1 x quote so far for our shipping needs from Anglo Pacific but will get more - I started a thread on here asking for any suggestions and I have had some feedback so will give those a try too.

Where in the UK are you based? Have you been to Adelaide/Aus before?

All the best x

Hello,

Hallett Cove is a good place tolive.

The whole coast down that side is stunning. If there's an criticism of Hallett cove its the beach...bloody pebbles, can you figure that one out?

I stayed a little further down the coast in Port Noarlunga and thouroughly enjoyed it. Great beach (sand!) and a jetty for fishing, the kidsloved the place and I still take them there. I stayed at a fantastic house that had evrything and was close to everything too.

Well, that is my tuppenceworth!

Paul