SORRY, NO PETS starting to annoy....

Guest charlieandtoby

Guest charlieandtoby

The SORRY, NO PETS at the end of every rental ad is starting to get up my nose. I think the fact it's in capitals is particularly annoying - as if pet owners owners are hard of sight. I am convinced it's the agents most of the time who don't want to do any work.

Anyway - likely to be breaking lease this half of the year in Nth Adelaide and looking for a 3/4 bed place that's pet friendly OR we find another way to get around the pet issue. Eg. we lie. Any suggestions, recommendations or advice on getting a dog and cat in to a rental that you'd be happy to live in as well!

Cheers

Guest WhatNow?

Offering a higher bond or extra months' rent up front sometimes works. Agents and landlords have so many people chasing each rental these days that they can make their lives easier by putting a few people off. We have found that the 'No Pets' thing is often negotiable but maybe a telephone call to the agent to see just how negotiable it might be before going to a rental viewing can save you a wasted journey.

Personally I would rather have pets in my rental than kids!!!

When we advertised our rental..we said pets are welcome. Got a lovely lady who has 2 alsations..brilliant tenants.

So don't give up hope..there are a few pet friendly landlords out there!!!

We have friends who told porkies when signing up(they have a tiny little dog)Anyway they just tidy up any evidence of dogginess about the house at inspection time, and make sure doggy is'nt around at inspection time.They have lived there for 4 years now and everyone is happy!Aint saying it's right BUT!:idea:;)

Guest moonraker1959

I know people won't particularly like this but I tend to go with the No Pets deal.Why?Years ago you could easily rent a place with pets.Unfortunately due to careless pet owners,landlords have put their foot down.Landlords have had to repair damage (dogs chewing kitchen cupboads and what not)de flea carpets.I love animals,especially dogs,but I can see it from the landlords viewpoint.My daughter recently enquired about a house rental(they currently live in an apartment)and she was told by the estate agent that if they wanted to bring their cat,it would cost an extra £300 on top of the normal deposit,to cover any damage or whatever.(This is in the UK).I think landlords have had too many tenants doing a runner and trashing the place,they're clamping down!

Guest charlieandtoby

But you rent to a tenant, not a pet. If the tenant is bad - then the house will get messed up - whether there is a dog in the place or not. Most good, conscientious pet owners will be good tenants. To exclude potentially good tenants because they are pet owners seems nonsense.

I have loved some of the ads which say things like "House needs some attention and hence would suit students" and then follows with "Sorry,No Pets". Come again?

Its more about the tenant than the pets. My sister was doing cleaning as a part time job and had an end of lease house cleanup where it looked like the person had been stripping engine parts in the house with thick black grease all over the floors and walls, never mind the state of the ktichen and bathroom. I have seen some places which have been continually rented out to students without owner maintenance and they are disaster areas - got nothing to do with pets.

Personally I think it is a bit of sheep mentality - one person starts so everyone jumps on the bandwagon. It comes down to if you value the place where you live you will keep it nice and that includes ensuring that your pets and kids dont damage anything and if they do it gets repaired. If you dont you wont care if you burn holes in the kitchen counters, leave the place in a filthy disgusting mess, break things etc.

Sometimes I think landlords often cover their neglect by blaming damage on pets - oh the pet made a hole in the carpet where you can see it is worn through, or the pet messed up the garden when you can see the tyre tracks of vehicles being driven over lawns etc. Kids can be equally destructive and you dont see ads no kids - probably not allowed to do so.

On the other hand I was talking to a guy in the pool shop who was telling me about his tenant. Nice fellow with a couple of kids. Kept the house pretty tidy. His 2 dogs were never ever taken for a walk and his solution to clear up the poop outside was to kick it into the pool!!!!!

Sad to say the minority of dog owners spoil it for the majority.

Incidently when we sign the lease with our tenants..the agent always put in the contract that dogs were to always be kept outdoors. Apparently this is standard practice here in oz.

There's a specific clause in the legislation saying that it is not legal to discriminate against families with children.

I noticed pretty much every inspection we just went to before taking this house we've moved into, that they all said no pets, but at inspections always heard people asking the agent about pets.

Our old house is still for rent, and that was an outside pet negotiable one. I think this one was too, and there were loads of people at the inspection, and I assumed that was why.

Incidentally with 4 children, with bikes, and swings, we have left a garden much greener and better recovered than the dirt patch that couldn't be rescued for a very long time near the tree where the chain from the past dog resident was kept. A lot of damage went into the radius around that tree before we took the house, and so much so that the soil was actually different. It took a family of 4 children to rescue it!!!! :)

I think the pets comment is likely laziness, but just as you get discriminated against with children because of a minority, I guess the same is happening to pet owners. They like references. So I heard an agent telling a potential tenant to give them a reference for the pet. Front load your application with references saying how amazing you left your last place, how clean you kept it and how great the dog is or whatever, and hopefully that will make your application stand out.

Guest charlieandtoby
well looking at these posts, well have no chance then when we head over, dogs and a child! - getting worried again!

Don't worry Nic and Chris there are a few places that will take pets, more so in the rural areas ;-)