what am i liable for?

Guest angiestaff

Guest angiestaff

Can anyone out there tell me if i break my lease am i liable for the whole weekly rent or a proportion of it until the property is rented out? (i know i have to pay advirtisement costs etc..)

also since my landlady is a money-grabbing b***h what happens if she decides to ask a huge amount for the rent and the property doesn't rent are we as the current tennents liable to pay the rent until someone is saft enough to pay what she wants or she drops it? (or until the end of our lease).... i don't feel it's fair if we have too

hopefully someone can help or at least point me in the right direction

thanks, angie

p.s i don't want to ask our agents as i don"t want them to know that we are planning to buy our own place just yet.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Im afraid that if you look in your contract of lease you will probally find that you are liable for all the advertising and full rent untill the place is re-let or untill the end of lease.

Dont forget that you are also liable to have all the carpets cleaned and have to pay for any damages like putting a hook in the wall to hang a picture but should come out of the bond.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Dont forget that you are also liable to have all the carpets cleaned

As long as you have kept the carpets clean, does this not come under fair wear and tear in Australia? Or is it a cost we will have to budget for? What about if you shampoo/carpet wash all carpets before you leave? Is it basically a cost that always gets charged to the tennant at the end of the contract? (Much like your deposit was always taken, whatever, in the UK before the deposit scheme?)

Guest cornish Busdriver
As long as you have kept the carpets clean, does this not come under fair wear and tear in Australia? Or is it a cost we will have to budget for? What about if you shampoo/carpet wash all carpets before you leave? Is it basically a cost that always gets charged to the tennant at the end of the contract? (Much like your deposit was always taken, whatever, in the UK before the deposit scheme?)

In our rental we still had to get the carpets cleaned even though we never used the rooms with carpet in them and you have to get a proper carpet cleaning company to do them. Your letting agency will have a list of recommended companys to use.

Better to pay for and get it done yourself than risking losing your bond for new carpets.

Guest Mitchell

I had to get the carpets cleaned by a company even though I'd only been in 4 months and provide a copy of the receipt to prove I'd had it done. There was only me in a 3 bed house and I never wear shoes inside. I have to pay a percentage of the reletting fees (8/12 as I had 8 months left on the lease), advertising fees and full rent until it's let. My landlord has increased the rent from 285 to 325 so its now more expensive than most 4 beds in the area and it hasn't let. I'm now going to have to get legal advice as I can't afford to pay till October. Agent made me go back and clean invisible dust, cobwebs that appeared after I left and tried to stiff me over damage to irrigation pipe that had clearly happened years ago.

Contact the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs. They set the rules regarding tenancies. All the formulae re breaking lease charges are on their website, a landlord/agent CANNOT charge anything they feel like. Its all set out by law under the Tenancies Act. Also interesting to note is the fact that a landlord CANNOT force you to have carpets professionally cleaned (just been through this with my daughter who had to break a lease at very short notice on her flat recently).

Guest cornish Busdriver

I'm afraid that there are good and bad landlords but gotta admit ours was fantastic.

It was written into our contract that we got the carpets cleaned when we vacated the house , only cost around $100 I think

professionally[/u] cleaned (just been through this with my daughter who had to break a lease at very short notice on her flat recently).

I was wondering if this is true even if it stipulates it in the contract, otherwise what is the point of having the contract if the tenant decides they don't like one clause or another. No accusations just wondering for myself.

Guest Damien

We broke our lease after 4 months. We had our carpets cleaned (only $80 so not worth the hassle of arguing). There is a formula they use to calculate the fee charge for reletting (we paid about 2 weeks rent). The agent didn't charge us any advertising fees, we just told them not to advertise it in the papers, keep it to the internet etc. I was worried whether they would stitch us up with the bond, we couldn't just pop up from Mt Gambier to argue the toss with them but all was ok.

We also had to pay the full rental whilst the house was unoccupied. They didn't exactly rush to relet it but we kept chasing them up and it soon went.

Rentals move pretty quick in Adelaide so you shouldn't have too many problems, just keep on at the agent to get it relet!

Damo