So confused - stay north or move south?

Guest shella_n

Guest shella_n

Hi guys

We are currently living in Mawson Lakes and although I love it here we had decided to move south (for the beach lifestyle - we surf, scuba dive etc). We have enrolled the children in a good school and were due to move in June.

Im having severe cold feet now :sad:. Weve made some great friends up here and the children have really settled in well and im really worried about risking all that for a beach - and how often realisticly will we go if we move there? And at the end of the day its only an hours drive we could go down every weekend if we want too. We both work in the CBD so the commute is an issue too - especially with the trains not currently running. Do I really want to leave everything and start from fresh AGAIN?? - Oh I just dont know its such a risk :arghh:

Im not expecting anyone to give me any miracles answers or anything - just needed a place to vent but if anyone does have any miracle answers please do let me know :notworthy:

Confused of Mawson Lakes (Michelle)

Guest liotis

I think you need to love where you live and be happy there. I love being out of the city and burbs so am in Hallett Cove. Its easy when the trains are running, but can take 40 - 45 minutes to drive. People are friendly down here.

Ask yourself what prompted you to think of moving in the first place. What is missing there?

Guest shella_n

good advice!

the only thing thats missing here is the beach and property prices down there are cheaper for when we decide to buy. We were looking at Port Noarlunga so I think the commute will be about an hour whereas now its only 30 mins (including picking up from childcare).

I love the sense of community here and we have been soooo lucky with the friends we have made - would we be that lucky again? I guess that nowhere is perfect though. We have to make a descision fast cause we gave notice on our rental last week so ill have to retract that if we want to stay. confusing times! Thanks for the advice though :)

If you are happy where you are and your children are happy, then stay put. It doesn't take long to drive to the beach (especially Semaphore), and as you say, how much time would you really spend on the beach anyway? You can easily go away for long weekends to the coast, and being in Mawson Lakes you are nearer to the Yorke Peninsular, Barossa, Riverland (as well as work).

Guest Nick11

We hardly go at all..personally if you are all happy and settled..why move?

Good friends are hard to come by and having happy children here is better than winning the lotto!

Guest Ric & Paula

We are currently in a similar position,but the other way around,moving from a beach location to St Agnes.We have soul searched as we love Semaphore and the community,we have made good friends as have the children,and they all love school.However,on a long term basis,we feel the potential to buy is greater in the NE burbs than coastal,and if moving, need to do so before our son starts high school,and we become more settled.We love the beach,but must admit,for us as out of school commitments and hommework increases,jaunts to the beach are less frequent.As you said,we will still be only a half hour or so away,so hope to maintain the friendships we've made,but it's been a tough decision to make,but for us we hope the right one.I'm sure you too will make the right one.Good luck

Guest shella_n

thanks guys - your right, your right!

Another concern is my youngest is autistic and she currently gets 1 to 1 help at her kindy - no guarentee she will get that if we move and also she doesnt adapt to change very well.

Honestly, youve really helped - I just needed others to confirm what I was thinking. Dont think hubby will be very happy with my descision though as he was hoping to be nearer to the surf - but as he says if im happy hes happy.

Thanks again guys

We are currently in a similar position,but the other way around,moving from a beach location to St Agnes.We have soul searched as we love Semaphore and the community,we have made good friends as have the children,and they all love school.However,on a long term basis,we feel the potential to buy is greater in the NE burbs than coastal,and if moving, need to do so before our son starts high school,and we become more settled.We love the beach,but must admit,for us as out of school commitments and hommework increases,jaunts to the beach are less frequent.As you said,we will still be only a half hour or so away,so hope to maintain the friendships we've made,but it's been a tough decision to make,but for us we hope the right one.I'm sure you too will make the right one.Good luck

Put a post up when you've moved. We're due another girls night out up here, so when you arrive will probably be a good excuse. And the Fox n Firkin is so close to St Agnes ;).....

Guest Guest5035

when my kids were little we went to the beach in the summer once a week, more in the school holidays, now myself anf the OH normally go still once a week for a coffee ,walk and or lunch. We live at Wynn Vale and its olnly 10 minutes up the road from you. If it was me i'd stay where you are, think of the 1 on 1 for your child.

stevo

Difficult call. If you ARE really happy where you are, and have found some good friends, I would probably stay there, especially if you are really comfortable with the schooling etc. The beach is not everything. We live in the east, and love the trees, the larger blocks, and the proximity to the city. We do still like to visit the beach, however. There are pros and cons no matter where you live, but if you have good friends, you will not see them nearly as often if you live far away.

The work commute is something you'll have to do every day of the week. How often do you go to the beach now? If it's a lot less than five times a week, every week, I'd stick where you are. You could always look for a beach shack or buy a camper and head south on a Friday night and stay for the weekends?

Guest mandmick

We are just about to do the same thing, we have a lovely house in the NE but we really want to be closer to the city and beach after living in Dubai. We want to walk, cycle and be able to pop to the beach whenever we want.

We have lovely friends and family in the NE but Adelaide isn't that big so we will still see them, if not more as it will be quality time.

It's a tough one, when you're settled and the commute to consider too, something we don't have to think about.

It's all about where you'll be happier at the end of the day,

Good luck!

Guest Gina & Alan

hallett cove , seaford all good , we came to australia for the sun ,sand and sangria , mind hardly ever go to the beach lol

Guest scmercer

Hi

If you are happy there I would stay put. We moved from just outside the city to North Brighton and even though it is lovely here, we hardly ever go to the beach. I also found it more difficult to find decent childcare and kindy here, so my children are actually still in childcare in Brompton!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dolly

DON'T GO!!! The commuting WILL drive you NUTS... I did it for 3 years & finally NO longer!!!! I love being close to home etc. If the kids are sick it takes forever to get to them.. Stay central... GOOD LUCK

Guest Matey2
DON'T GO!!! The commuting WILL drive you NUTS... I did it for 3 years & finally NO longer!!!! I love being close to home etc. If the kids are sick it takes forever to get to them.. Stay central... GOOD LUCK

I agree, you will spend an extra 2 hours a day in the car. 10 hours a week. 520 hours a year. Your daughter may have to be in childcare longer too.

You may not get the quality of life you thought you would get due to these factors.

Hi guys

We are currently living in Mawson Lakes and although I love it here we had decided to move south (for the beach lifestyle - we surf, scuba dive etc). We have enrolled the children in a good school and were due to move in June.

Im having severe cold feet now :sad:. Weve made some great friends up here and the children have really settled in well and im really worried about risking all that for a beach - and how often realisticly will we go if we move there? And at the end of the day its only an hours drive we could go down every weekend if we want too. We both work in the CBD so the commute is an issue too - especially with the trains not currently running. Do I really want to leave everything and start from fresh AGAIN?? - Oh I just dont know its such a risk :arghh:

Im not expecting anyone to give me any miracles answers or anything - just needed a place to vent but if anyone does have any miracle answers please do let me know :notworthy:

Confused of Mawson Lakes (Michelle)

I think it depends on how much you love the beach. We love the beach and spend a lot of time there including walking the dog. Consider what time you would get home and if that leaves you enough time for the beach in the evenings during the summer.

All the best,

Cooler

Guest shella_n

Thanks guys. Thought. Would update u all with our current plans. After much deliberation we have decided that we r going to give it a go down south. Thd life down there is what we came here for and whilst we have made great friends here in Mawson lakes - we left everyone in the uk who we loved looking for our new life and we r risk takers so we r going to take this one last risk and hope it pays off.

I think I was having a mild panic attack when I first wrote this post but after thinking everything through we thinks it's gonna be best fOr us. If anyone knows of any rentals coming up in port noarlunga let me know!

Thanks for all your help support and advice. Gotta love PiA!

Thanks guys. Thought. Would update u all with our current plans. After much deliberation we have decided that we r going to give it a go down south. Thd life down there is what we came here for and whilst we have made great friends here in Mawson lakes - we left everyone in the uk who we loved looking for our new life and we r risk takers so we r going to take this one last risk and hope it pays off.

I think I was having a mild panic attack when I first wrote this post but after thinking everything through we thinks it's gonna be best fOr us. If anyone knows of any rentals coming up in port noarlunga let me know!

Thanks for all your help support and advice. Gotta love PiA!

Good for you. If your kids love the beach, join Port Noarlunga surf life saving club or the one at Southport - a great way to spend Saturdays :D

Best of luck,

Cooler

Good on you Shella, we did the same, 1 1/2 years ago and moved from Blackwood (so not as far north as you are) to Moana and now in Port Noarlunga South moved our little girls school and everything and we just love it down here. I have no problem with the commute to the city I drop my little one off at school and get to work at 9am so no hours commute for me?? (work in Mile End).

I second the advice from Cooler join Port Noarlunga surf life saving they are just finishing off the new club house and it looks great and very reasonable to join (cheper than Moana and seems better organised) you will meet local people with kids this way as well.

Good luck with your move.

Kim