?? Council housing

Guest leemina

Guest leemina

Hi

Is there such a thing as coucil housing over there? We're not snobs, but tbh we dont wanna live next door to a council estate over here, especially if its the same type of people we get over here, so wouldnt want to over in oz either. Its strange really, cos i grew up on an estate (maybe reason why dont want to now eh?).

Thanks

It's called Social Housing here and while there are a few places that used to be predominantly social housing, often prefabs, you will find now these areas are undergoing a lot of development, with land being sold off privately, and thus becoming up and coming areas where you could get a good bargain that will appreciate a great deal in a fairly short time. There is an area in the North West known as the Parks that is like this. I think areas around Christies Downs in the south are possibly the same (don't know personally about these, just what I have heard from Aussies).

However, on new build estates there is now a law that a certain percentage of the properties built have to be social housing, so it means you don't get "estates" as such but you could easily find yourself in a street with a mix of privately owned and social housing. Also, the beneficial tax laws on owning and renting out properties will mean you will be hard pushed to find out if houses near you are owner occupied or rented.

Your best bet is to take a drive around an area you are thinking of settling in, look for skid marks on the roads and old cars in the front yards!;) Try and visit at different times of day too, such as school kicking out time, to get an idea.

Probably getting in the habit of browsing the only local newspaper, the Advertiser online (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au) might give you an idea of the areas with most crime, if that helps!

Elizabeth was one of the first in SA, set up for the 10 pound poms. In the south it is the Christie Downs area. There are social housing areas zoned off for most suburbs.

I don't know whether skid marks are a good way to show if its social housing. The young drivers will do skids (burnouts) on any road in Australia if they can get away with it. It's the Aussie mentality and like graffiti, its a tag.

Then on the issue of grafitti, it is everywhere. This isn't just in the social housing areas either. You could go to the nicest of areas and someone will have put a tag on something. It makes me mad.

You will find trust housing as they are called here, all over Adelaide its not just in a couple of areas there are pockets all over,The thing is there is housing co-ops as well you will find that they have one off houses located all over the place and some of them are the same standard as council housing.

Guest Tina P

Hi

You can not pick your neighbours, we built on a new estate and have nutty neighbours which have caused us so much stress.

They have never lanscaped the front garden have no drive way and to top it have dirty net curtains - lol :biglaugh: So the house stands out and looks scruffy.

Even home owners can be nightmare neighbours.

Tina

Guest graandjac

:goofy:good news and bad news.....I work for a contractor and we do all the Housing trust plumbing and roofing work......EVERY thats EVERY suburb has housing trust so before this turns into a "the best " surburb post, yes there are areas that have lots of housing trust and some of them pretty rough but I have still never found myself in a .......call it a worring situation...you know watching my back. The new Seaford Meadows development has housing trust houses as does the bottom of the Point near the expressway start/finish.

So dont worry to much leave our British snobbery behind as just because someone lives in a Housing trust house dosen't make them a bad person. Cheers Graham

P.S.....all housing trust south of Renella...is being sold off as and when they become vacant.

Guest graandjac

:shocked:

most of the new developments look like council estates anyway[/quote

ouch.............I might leave weather I agree or not.........some of the flat ones maybe;)

Well we are searching for a house all over the place right now.We recently looked at a house in Christie Downs,as it looked great.Guess what!It was even better in the flesh.In fact it was the nicest house we have seen so far,and i am not messing.Also,all the houses nearby were very presentable.The price is what attracted us,because of the stigma of the area.Of course,we also saw some terrible sights when driving around a bit further afar in the same area.I live in South Brighton at present,and there are some trust houses about 200 yards away,and they are a disgrace to the area also,run down,dirty with old banger non runners outside,and Graffiti is more predominant in that vicinity.There are pockets of bad housing and people who don't respect their environment in many suburbs around Adelaide.What a shame for those who really do care,they deserve better.

Guest moonraker1959
The SAHT tries to avoid developing ghetto areas by not having large council estates, a'la the UK. The SAHT has for years been assimilating social housing across all areas of Adelaide. Yes there is even social housing in the likes of leafy, inner city Walkerville![/quote

Since when?Have you driven around the likes of Elizabeth or Salisbury in any direction?They are HUGE council estates!When my first OH and I were married we started off in a Trust House,and believe me,some of the UK council estates are tame compared to some area's in SA!Do people believe that just because the sun is shining,everyone is a law abiding happy person???:cute: