Another Area Request!!

Guest thefamilywitts

Guest thefamilywitts

Hi to all,

First post here, and sadly a very generic one which has been asked many times before!

I will be interviewing within the next week to hopefully secure a job as a Civil Engineer in Adelaide. Lovely :D

Amongst the many things I will need to research, finding a good rental property in the nicest possible area is key for me and the family.

So, which suburbs/districts should I be aiming for with aspirtations of a 4-bed house at about $600 - $700 per week? Within walking distance to a good primary school is essential.

Hopefully I can narrow down the search with the help you give - greatly appreciated by the way.

Lee.

Guest Guest5035

from one fellow Robin Hood to another welcome, where in Nottingham, i was Edwalton/Bridgford, my OH was Radford. Whereabouts will your job be based firstly, Adelaide is so spread out.

Stevo

Guest thefamilywitts

Hey up Stevo me duck!

I'm Nuthall way, very close to Junction 26. Originally from Bobbersmill which backs onto Radford.......A LOT has chaged in those areas since 1991 my friend, sadly not all good.

The office is based in Parkside so quite close to the CBD I think? I'm happy enough with a 30 min car commute to the office from home so the suburb doesn't need to be on the doorstep - providing the road network is not jammed up to the gills like the M1 of course!!

Any info you can share would be great.

I don't know anything about the schools in that area, but Parkside is a lovely area (and the surrounding suburbs too (Unley, Glenside, Fullarton etc). These are the affluent leafy eastern suburbs that people aspire to. So unless you specifically want to be near the beach or up in the hills I would look for rentals close to your workplace. Then maybe you could even walk to work! You would probably get a bit more for your money if you lived further out though.

Guest Guest5035

Me duckie, ayup girt. i did a quick search on realestate.com.au renting ,using Adelaide and surrounding suburbs, $500 to $700 a week and came up with the following to give you a idea. They will be better than Bobbersmill!! We were there August last year, first time in 14 years, 96 was the time before.

Notice the house at Parkside, i'm guessing the office is on Greenhill Road or Glen Osmond Road areas, if you enlarge the map to the right on that property, then you'll see the adjoining suburbs, but note that the CBD is a 15 minute walk away, so living in the City might be a option.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-house-with-3-bedrooms-between-500-700-in-adelaide%2c+sa+5000%3b+/list-1

stevo

Hi,

We live in Unley, I walk to the local Primary School (Unley Primary) and there are 2 supermarkets to walk to (Coles & Woolies). I walk to the city about half hour and OH walks to work in the CBD. There are loads of parks the kids can play in and it is also only 25 mins on public transport to the beach, 15mins if you drive.

There are cafe's, Restaurants and bars on King William Rd & Unley Rd, a Target, shopping Mall, Gym etc so it covers most things that you would need. We have a car and i put $50 in every month or so as tend to walk or grab the bus (only $2.70 to get into the city), use it really to do a 'big shop' or if we fancy exploring. There is a great Library and a few good playgroups if your children are younger.

The surrounding areas - Parkside, Fullarton, Goodwood, Wayville, Hyde Park, Malvern, Unley Park, Myrtle Bank, Glenunga, Frewville, Dulwich, Norwood, Toorak Gardens, Tusmore and Burnside. You wont go far wrong with these, all great areas with good primary schools.

On the flip side Stirling & Crafers in the hills are nice but def will require a car but only 30mins from the CBD or there are buses that go every 20 mins i think to the city. If you are looking for beach locations Somerton Park is nice as is Brighton. If you are working in Parkside it would prob take over 30 mins in the morning to get there with all the traffic lights and if you went further north up the coast (Henley Beach, West Lakes, Semaphore etc this would be longer).

You have a realistic budget for being close to the city but if you went further out you would def get more for your buck!

Good luck with your search, we have to do it all over again in Sept :sad:

xxxx

Guest Nick11
Hey up Stevo me duck!

I'm Nuthall way, very close to Junction 26. Originally from Bobbersmill which backs onto Radford.......A LOT has chaged in those areas since 1991 my friend, sadly not all good.

The office is based in Parkside so quite close to the CBD I think? I'm happy enough with a 30 min car commute to the office from home so the suburb doesn't need to be on the doorstep - providing the road network is not jammed up to the gills like the M1 of course!!

Any info you can share would be great.

Ooh that's close to where we used to live..Giltbrook and Kimberley. Hubby worked at field packaging at the phoenix centre. Many a long night and wait we had at sinatras!!!!

$700 a week rent is a pretty large sum over here.

Guest thefamilywitts

Ah Sinatras............great place but not been in years - not sure if it is still there actually!

So many bars and shops in Notts town centre have closed down due to the recession. Lots of boarded up places with noone taking them over, slowly decaying. Really, really sad to see as I am a Notts boy born n bred. Ah well, one of the many reasons I want to ship off and give my wife and children the life we all deserve and work hard for!

Guest Nick11
Ah Sinatras............great place but not been in years - not sure if it is still there actually!

So many bars and shops in Notts town centre have closed down due to the recession. Lots of boarded up places with noone taking them over, slowly decaying. Really, really sad to see as I am a Notts boy born n bred. Ah well, one of the many reasons I want to ship off and give my wife and children the life we all deserve and work hard for!

We went back for a hol at the end of last year after being here for 4 years and tbh it looked better than it did before. Maybe we were looking at it with a fresh pair of eyes. The 3 things that did hit us though was how fast people drive , how crammed in together everything was and how cheap everything was (apart from petrol).

Love Nottm to bits...nice for a holiday to catch up with rellies and do the retail therapy..but not to live!!!

....The 3 things that did hit us though was how fast people drive ....

OMG That reminds me - nothing quite like getting off a plane at Heathrow after a 26 hour flight, and the first thing you have to look forward to is the M25! Cars so close together - front, back and to the sides - and going so fast.... having palpitations just at the thought of it!!

Guest thefamilywitts
OMG That reminds me - nothing quite like getting off a plane at Heathrow after a 26 hour flight, and the first thing you have to look forward to is the M25! Cars so close together - front, back and to the sides - and going so fast.... having palpitations just at the thought of it!!

Well how's this for fun:

I need to commute to Kent from Nottingham once a week for meetings. I set off at 5:00am, drive down the M1, then onto the M25. I arrive at 10:00am! The M25 is the Devil in concrete form :arghh:

Let's not even begin to discuss the journey home................

Guest thefamilywitts
We went back for a hol at the end of last year after being here for 4 years and tbh it looked better than it did before. Maybe we were looking at it with a fresh pair of eyes. The 3 things that did hit us though was how fast people drive , how crammed in together everything was and how cheap everything was (apart from petrol).

Love Nottm to bits...nice for a holiday to catch up with rellies and do the retail therapy..but not to live!!!

Oh agreed the town centre has been redeveloped and looks fantastic, but on closer inspection the shops themselves are really struggling for trade and are closing fast. I'm shaking my fist at the coalition government as I write this!

Guest Guest5035

D, when we arrived at Heathrow, i picked up the hire car and was a kangaroo trying to work the manual gears, then i hit the M25 around the north bit on our way to Colchester, from there to Nottingham to Farnham to Colchester to Heathrow, those motorways are brill. Such a breeze after the roads in Adelaide.

Stevo