Mount Barker

Guest stixblue

Guest Amy79

My sister & her husband and my Mum live in Mount Barker. My sister & her OH have been there 3 years on permanent residency and my Mum went in June on a permanent contributory parent visa.

They all love it - I am visiting for first time in December, but if you want to know anything specific let me know and I'll ask them.

Guest mark&rachel

We have been to Mount Barker a few times. Nice place and is certainly up and coming. lots of new builds popping up that go with the older houses.

With the freeway is only about 30 mins (not sure never done it but i believe its 30mins or so) to City.

Does a get a bit colder in the hills and is a good drive from the beach but having said that would be a safe place to live and a nice place for families.

Only my Opinion having only visited. Depends if you want the beach or hills life style

Guest stixblue
We have been to Mount Barker a few times. Nice place and is certainly up and coming. lots of new builds popping up that go with the older houses.

With the freeway is only about 30 mins (not sure never done it but i believe its 30mins or so) to City.

Does a get a bit colder in the hills and is a good drive from the beach but having said that would be a safe place to live and a nice place for families.

Only my Opinion having only visited. Depends if you want the beach or hills life style

Hi

Thanks for your reply, thats the trouble cant decide on beach or hills.

Guest mark&rachel

maybe Belair, Glenalta or blackwood would be better then? Still a bit in the hills and country style but only 20mins form Brighton Beach which is a great beach

Would you be intending to commute to the city each day? If so, bear in mind that it can often be quite foggy and wet in the hills, and although you have the freeway, it can still make for some hairy driving at times.

Having said that, I'm sure that a lot of people do live there and commute.

Mount Barker is getting a lot more housing, and there are rumblings that there will not be adequate services for all the extra people. I would also avoid buying one of those houses right next to the freeway - I would think it would be noisy.

Guest michaelnitschke
Would you be intending to commute to the city each day? If so, bear in mind that it can often be quite foggy and wet in the hills, and although you have the freeway, it can still make for some hairy driving at times.Having said that, I'm sure that a lot of people do live there and commute.Mount Barker is getting a lot more housing, and there are rumblings that there will not be adequate services for all the extra people. I would also avoid buying one of those houses right next to the freeway - I would think it would be noisy.
Hi all,I currently live in Mount Barker. It's a lovely place to live, 30 minutes to the toll gate and you rarely need to go to the city as most shopping, medical and educational facilities are really more than adequate in the area. The Adelaide Hills are nearly always roughly 5 degrees cooler than the city, and Mt barker in particular gets frosty mornings in the winter and plenty of rain. Mount Barker is being developed further with the recent SA governmentments scheme to expand the area with a lot more housing. There will be some benefits with even more facilities added to the area to cater for the extra population. There will be some growing pains over the next few years as our current infrastructure (mostly the roads) struggle to cope with the development. There is plans to fix this, but like all governments that takes time.I am a real estate agent based in the town, and to give you a rough idea on house prices, you can buy a 4 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms and good car accommodation for around $450k or less depending on the age of the home and which part of town it is in. You can build a new home with the same specs for slightly less, but obviously you need to establish gardens and fencing on top of that. The housing market (like many other areas in SA) is oversupplied at present with roughly 30% more houses on the market than this time last year, so there is great opportunity in a buyers market.Rental wise, allow for $350-$450 per week if you want a place in a good area with similar specs to what listed above. You will need some good references if you are migrating, I would suggest family or friends you know in the area should go on an application. Hope that helps :)Michael.