Where to start with long term rentals??

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Hi all - bit of an urgent request before we disappear off the net.....

We land Wednesday AM, and I've got 12 or so days before I start work.

We wanted to hit the ground running and start trying to get round some long term rentals quickly, our temp accommodation is over $200 per night! :shocked:

Can anyone recommend any large real estate agencies in the CBD/elsewhere we can go to? I know there's the real estate websites etc, but we might not have the internet immediately upon arriving - we'd like to go somewhere (the equivalent of a UK letting agency) and say "this is what we're after - what have you got?"

It's tricky finding local "real life" physical Adelaide businesses from the UK !! !! !!

Hope you can help

SEE YOU ALL NEXT WEEK !! !! !!

Ryan

I would go to the agents in the suburbs that you are interested in renting in. So get a list of address now before you leave. Also make sure you have copies of any documents from the UK that you want to use as references, passports, letters and photos all ready for you applications.

To get our last rental we filled in the form, had all the references and also submitted a personal statement and pic of the four of us. They really like the personal touch it lets the agent know why they should put you forward for the rental.

You can get free Wifi in most Macdonalds I believe but I have never tried it??

Good luck

Michelle

Get yourself a pay as you go mobile no and if we can help at all I will drop you my number :-)

Another way is through the local Adelaide paper,The Advertiser.Once a week there is a lot of Rentals advertised(forget which day)direct from Private Landlords with veiwings within a day or so.That's what we did ,and found it all so simple.Face to face with the owner,lay your cards on the table,if he likes you and you like the place,your in in a flash.:biggrin:

Guest johnosmad

I found the best thing to do if you will be looking at a few properties is have copies of all passports, any references, 100 point ID check (Copy of bank card, driving licence etc.) and in our case we had a generic application form filled in for Ray White so all we had to do was edit the rent and the address all on a USB stick or stored on Google Docs or equivalent so you can fire off applications easy enough,

Also another thing is to buy a USB dongle ($50-$100) PAYG so you can top it up with $50 (4Gb) which will last roughly 3-4 weeks internet with heavy use and also means you can use it anywhere. I have a Virgin Broadband one and have been using it on my WHV and not had any problems,

We were in Brisbane but its the same idea I guess,

Cor blimey thats come round fast! Def get a dongle as not every house is on with a real estate agent in the suburb you are looking in. The agents can be from all over. The Advertiser has private rentals on Wednesdays & Saturdays. If you need any help just drop me a message. Oh and http://www.gumtree.com.au is another good place to look. What areas are you interested in moving too?

Have a great flight xx

Hubby worked for hours in the local Glenelg library. They have free internet so you should be able to use them easily enough. And also places like McDonalds and a number of cafes and stuff have wifi. I know Cibo did as we used to have a coffee and do some browsing online.

I would look on Realestate.com.au the week before you arrive, and make a note of any properties with open days after you arrive, also contact the agents and make appointments for any that say "inspection by appointment". Once you're here, just go to all the viewings you've got written down. Since you'll have already looked at the site, once you're here and do find internet, you just need to look at the new ones (you can sort by newest on the website), it'll be quick. Also check out the advertiser as people have said.

Guest Maria Day
I found the best thing to do if you will be looking at a few properties is have copies of all passports, any references, 100 point ID check (Copy of bank card, driving licence etc.) and in our case we had a generic application form filled in for Ray White so all we had to do was edit the rent and the address all on a USB stick or stored on Google Docs or equivalent so you can fire off applications easy enough,

Also another thing is to buy a USB dongle ($50-$100) PAYG so you can top it up with $50 (4Gb) which will last roughly 3-4 weeks internet with heavy use and also means you can use it anywhere. I have a Virgin Broadband one and have been using it on my WHV and not had any problems,

We were in Brisbane but its the same idea I guess,

Thank you for your post. This is very informative to us. We are going there in January and like other families also will be looking for long term rental. You mentioned bout documents needed to get a property. I would probably sound a bit stupid but I don't have any experience in renting. How do I get 100 point ID check? Do I do it here in UK? Some has mentioned about personal statement and reference, is that personal/ work reference? I find this all a bit overwhelming. Any info given would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Thank you for your post. This is very informative to us. We are going there in January and like other families also will be looking for long term rental. You mentioned bout documents needed to get a property. I would probably sound a bit stupid but I don't have any experience in renting. How do I get 100 point ID check? Do I do it here in UK? Some has mentioned about personal statement and reference, is that personal/ work reference? I find this all a bit overwhelming. Any info given would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

it was sugested to us to get a reference from your bank/mortgage lender just to state that you have met all payments. a character ref may also be useful.