Athelstone or Aberfoyle park

Guest R175

Hi all

Myself, wife and 2 kids arrive end of August (so don't say you weren't warned) and we have decided that we fancy these 2 areas and we were wondering if anybody had any thoughts too...

We are looking for 4 beds, all double (well fit doubles in) and have seen a few online. Price wise $4-475 per week, not really bothered about the beach as we both drive and enjoy it too.

Wife is a nurse but is also willing to travel to work (RAH).

We are interested in kids schools and also karate for the wife and kids as they are all quite senior....eldest is junior black belt....

So, what is the consensus....Athelstone or Aberfoyle park....thank you all and see you soon....now I have warned you twice...lol

Steven and family

I love Athelstone. Great location, great shops, great schools, great public transport, good access to the City for night out/market/girlie lunches etc, beautiful hills all around, and really nice people.

Definitely Athelstone from me. Will be a lot easier for your OH to get to and from the RAH as well. The one way freeway in the south just can't compete with the O-Bahn in my humble opinion!!

The one way freeway in the south just can't compete with the O-Bahn in my humble opinion!!

I am not going to get in to the north south discussion so I agree with what your saying apart from the quote above.

If the OP lived in Aberfoyle park they would not use the one way free way as Aberfoyle Park is at the northern end of it.

We also have shops down here as well as beaches............only messing.......

Both are great areas maybe come out have a drive round it does make a difference to see for your self.

Rob and Mel

Both places have a lot going for them (for what it's worth, my preference would be Athelstone) but unless there's a particular reason you've narrowed down your search to just two suburbs at this stage I'd recommend a short term base and some 'on the ground' research once you arrive. No doubt some people strike it lucky and live in the suburb they decided on back in the UK, but I suspect for most of us we end up somewhere we wouldn't have expected (or even heard of) before we arrived.

Jim

Guest The Dimmocks

My Daughter does Karate and is a member of GKR Karate. She goes to classes in Aberfolye Park. Not sure what group you a member of but as GKR is International, IF we ever returned to the UK she could carry it on with the same Club without having to renew memberships etc. She been going since her 5th birthday last year, so nearly a year she is an orange tip and is enjoying it.

Hi all again

Thanks for the responses...

We are staying in West Lakes for first 6 weeks and have previously stayed in Henley beach.

We chose these 2 areas for the schools ie catchment area for Aborfoyle hub primary and a place in Athelstone too (wife tells me and I do...lol).

When we visited in November I personally liked the city feel of the North but the wife liked the open space of the South (I know both have both but this is my opinion only I am not debating)...but then again I have looked at other areas like Seaford at one end and port Adelaide at the other and could feel happy in either (I am from Newcastle so areas would need to be really bad to worsen current...lol).

Aberfoyle, Flagstaff hills and the likes look hilly so difficult for MIL as she is old...er but Athelstone is very green and eldest hate bugs and flying insects....hence the dilemma.

Ow well we shall soon see....but thank you all for input already

Steven