Whats the CBD like to live in....any better areas?

Guest jellytots2melons

Guest jellytots2melons

Hey Everyone, We are hopefully moving across to Adelaide once we've got the visa & jobs all sorted out and I we had automatically thought we should live in the CBD to be close to everything until we find our feet....but are there any other areas we should consider?

We are both late 20's/early 30's with no children, love music, good food, pubs, shops (think thats just me though!!), cafes etc but we are happy to get the bus/tram etc to get to these things... if they aren't outside the front door but just wondering if the CBD would be best or are there other areas where we could get more for our rental money but not in a 100% family only area.

Any help would be fab ...thank you :smile:

The city is a good place to live for people such as yourselves. You will have plenty of pubs, restaurants, shops, cafes etc. Within the CBD there are three precincts. Hutt St which has a few pubs, lots of cafes and restaurants and about 15 mins to Rundle Mall. It is on the East side of the CBD. In the South West side of the CBD is the Central market area around Gouger St. Again lots of restaurants , small pubs, supermarkets, the central market, Chinatown and about 15 mins to Rundle Mall. The third precinct is Rundle St, abounding in shops, cafes, etc and the city's cinemas. Some good pubs. A lot of the city pubs have live music, but the re are also the quieter smaller ones if you just fancy a quiet drink. All the clubs are pretty much around Hindley St which is opposite Rundle Mall. The CBD would definitely give you a central base.

Other areas with similar lifestyle within handy reach are around Norwood Parade in Norwood and Jetty Rd in Glenelg. These are about 15-20 mins on public transport from the city. At Glenelg of course there is the beach. On a much smaller scale Jetty Rd at Brighton has the cafes and eateries and a pub or two. North Adelaide also has O'Connell St and Melbourne st. It is about 5 -10 mins from the CBD being just up the hill.

As Rachel said, and also look at North Adelaide (the actual suburb thereof as opposed to "north of Adelaide"), Goodwood and Unley and like mentioned above Norwood. Close in also are places like Kensington, Rose Park and places thereabouts. FWIW I'd pick Norwood - lively, cosmopolitan, leafy and just a short walk/bike ride/bus trip across the parklands to the city. I am biased though - I love Norwood!!

Hubby used to live in the CBD, a few minutes walk from the Central market. I loved it there when we were still only the two of us before our son was born. Only a small place, one bedroomed with a sitting room, kitchen/diner, garden room, shower room and small backyard but it was great for the location. A bit noisy in terms of traffic on the main road at the end of the street but we were on the doorstep of the market and being able to walk to the main shops, the parklands, a supermarket a couple of blocks away and the tram and bus line only 5 minutes walk also. Also a couple of great local restaurants we used to frequent.

Parking was a bit crap often, as was the sometimes noisy nights on weekends but not enough to really spoil things. But on the plus side was the parklands were not too far to walk to, giving us a good place for a wander if we wanted it. Also the tram being so close we could be in Glenelg in 20-30 minutes and soaking up Jetty road, the beach and so on. Also to be able to head elsewhere in the city from the CBD was straightforward enough.

It was a bit farther for us to get to the bars and cafes (of Hutt St I think, I can't recall the name atm but I'd figure Diane and I are thinking the same place), but still within walking distance or catching the bus round. Used to go for a drink, see some stand up or a live band, have dinner out, wander the Botanical Gardens... ah those were the days :cute:

If we didn't have our son, when we move back I'd be looking at being somewhere round there again probably. I liked being able to shop daily at the market and to decide 20 minutes before the screening started to head to the cinema and just walk out the door and pop down the road. Wouldn't mind only having a small yard or no yard at all if it was just the two of us. But we'll need a bit of garden this time and to be somewhere more suited to family life for us all.

But go for it, its a great city centre as its on the smaller side and everything is within easy reach to take you elsewhere if you wish.

Guest loopylisa

Hi

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon on this one but I never actually considered living IN the city lmao. Is rent more expensive/? Probably wont be possible due to cat but thought I'd ask anyway as the way you are painting it sounds great :cool:

Can't comment on the rent now as hubby has been over here for 6 years or so and had his place a couple of years before moving over here. It wasn't unreasonable though back then. He managed to afford it, wasn't on a big income or anything. But it was a smallish place, nothing fancy and only big enough for a couple sharing at most. But saying that it was an older building so the rooms were still on the larger side than you get in the more modern units and stuff. And it was 2 separate rooms then into open plan kitchen/diner, garden room (for want of something to call it as it wasn't a laundry, we went a couple of blocks for one of those) and the back yard.

We live in Norwood and certainly enjoy it. It's on the fringes of the CBD and is dotted with great restaurants, bars and shops. By bus, it's 10/15mins into the CBD at 7:30-8am weekdays, 5 mins by car. Unlike other CBD's such as Melbourne you are literally on the doorstep here without the traffic issues that they have. It's no Manchester though, for that you need Melbourne / Sydney. There are some good pubs to see bands, i went to see Gomez last weekend at The Gov (who incidentally were fantastic). Everything is on your doorstep in Adelaide which we love!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AmberOz

Hi, have lived in CBD and although it is good to be close to shops and jobs, Adelaide is quite small and you can live on the beautiful beaches of the western suburbs such as, Henley beach, grange and still be just 10 mins out of the CBD. It is alot cheaper to live there and there are several main roads with public transport that run straight into the city. Plus u get the serenity instead of the full on hussel bussel. Just a thought from a seasoned adelaidean. Hope this helps :)

We live in Kent town (between the CBD and Norwood). parkland across the road, Rundle st restaurant/shopping precinct 5min walk through the park, Norwood the parade restaurants 10min walk, North Adelaide restaurant areas 5min drive. We can both walk to work.

Previously we lived in Walkerville, by the river. Nice area, but quiet, and only the one pub within walking distance. I feel significantly happier in Adelaide since we moved closer to the city.

Would definitely recommend living within walking distance of a decent restaurant strip: CBD, Norwood, North Adelaide, Unley, Glenelg (further out, on the beach, but good tram connection). And close to work.

Hi, have lived in CBD and although it is good to be close to shops and jobs, Adelaide is quite small and you can live on the beautiful beaches of the western suburbs such as, Henley beach, grange and still be just 10 mins out of the CBD. It is alot cheaper to live there and there are several main roads with public transport that run straight into the city. Plus u get the serenity instead of the full on hussel bussel. Just a thought from a seasoned adelaidean. Hope this helps :)

It's a lot more than ten minutes at rush hour on public transport...

Guest Richie_T

I recently moved to North Terrace in the CBD. As I have only just got here myself, I thought city living would give me great access to get all the eating and going out, out of the way before settling into a more subdued location. and i think it is working well. transport is very easy to the beach, the hills and whereever u might want to go.

rent is more expensive living here, but for convenience's sake i dont mind paying that little bit extra. I have heard plenty about how close the other desirable areas are, but i will look into that once ive gotten over city living. I notice you are also from Manchester. I have been living in Timperley for the past 4 years before I came here and im much happier being in the city!