New Builds

Guest Jane & Tony

Guest Jane & Tony

Hi All

I've just been browsing the real estate site and was wondering why new houses are so much cheaper than older ones.

Is it because they 'add on' a lot of things like, sockets, kitchens, bathrooms, paving etc ?

Cheers x

Guest Jane & Tony
House can start as little as $90000 but thats just basic house need land could cost you anything depends on area then you need all the extras then landscaping fencing stormwater driveways etc can cost quite a bit all depends on what quality you want.

Bit of a cheat then really. I thought it looked too good to be true. A four bed house for 278000 dollars!!!

Guest SA Great
For a small plot of land you're looking at $140,000 to $180,000. Then you have the build on top.

We're looking at spending $300,000 for a basic 3 bed build.

Correct to all of the above. A decent "block" of land is around $200,000.

My mates getting one built now near the City.Because of location,he reckons after 12 months it'll sell for 50 k more than it's costing him.He intends to sell it then.It is tiny,280 block,but i reckon he may well be right,given the location(8 k out)He's a good ,honest lad,and i hope it all works out for him.He has been amazed so far at the add on costs,which were surreptitiously omitted from the original quote.As in everything in life,if it sounds too good to be true,then it usually is.:skeptical:

Bit of a cheat then really. I thought it looked too good to be true. A four bed house for 278000 dollars!!!

The builders would argue differently, but I agree with you. We were going to sign for one last year and by from one day to the next, an extra $40k was added on (we didn't sign). Not exactly loose change! There are builders who will give you a final figure which would seem to be fair.

Cooler

Guest Jane & Tony

What about when it says 'house and land package $289000' then there are a load of 'inclusions', such as chrome taps, facias, paving etc? I take 'inclusion' to mean included in the price. Am I correct?

What about when it says 'house and land package $289000' then there are a load of 'inclusions', such as chrome taps, facias, paving etc? I take 'inclusion' to mean included in the price. Am I correct?

House and land package cost is the final cost. It will only change if you ask for changes, the inclusions shown would be what they have included for, some may include external hard and soft landscaping some not for example.

Guest Jane & Tony
House and land package cost is the final cost. It will only change if you ask for changes, the inclusions shown would be what they have included for, some may include external hard and soft landscaping some not for example.

That seems better then. Thanks for the info. I think we could just about afford a new build then. Is it right that the government give a higher 1st time buyers grant for newies? When we were over last it added up to about 27000 dollars?

Not 100% sure but i think a lot of the grants have been cut. House and land package are what they say block of land and a basic house. They might have a list of some stuff and may include landscaping which would be a patch of grass to the front you have just got to see what they say is included.

Guest Jane & Tony
The grants are - First time buyer (in Australia) $7,000. If you build, or buy a completed new build you can get an extra $8,000. So $15,000 in total.

I believe these are being cut further/altogether as of 1st July 2012.

Just our blooming luck!!!!! WHY has everything gone bad since we got our visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I have posted on here asking for details of house builders etc. as yes that would be an ideal and a great thing to do but after taliking to some of the peeps on here it does make you wonder how much of these new builds have hidden costs - such as double sockets, solar panels etc. I am now torn between the two as I would love to have our own house built to our spec etc. it woul be great and it would feel like a real accomplishment. However, when you look at the price quoted and then the added axtra's you could end up paying; is it worth it in the end? I kind of compare it to riding a motorbike - cruiser (chopper) style - you could by new and have all the extras added like loud pipes, saddle bags etc. OR you could by one that is a couple of years old that someone has already added the said additions and pay much less than it would of cost you new. So the alternative is to buy a house in your desired area that is maybe a couple of years old and had all the extras added already ............................. mmmmmmmmmmm decisions decisions. Anyway just my two penneth...................or should that be cents :)

Guest Jane & Tony

[Q............................. mmmmmmmmmmm decisions decisions. Anyway just my two penneth...................or should that be cents :)

I look at it this way, my OH is a builder so we can have the basic fitments at a lower cost then he can change them as and when we can save up. IE a better kitchen/bathroom etc

I look at it this way, my OH is a builder so we can have the basic fitments at a lower cost then he can change them as and when we can save up. IE a better kitchen/bathroom etcnot worth doing it that way , would cost way more than having it done initially. No one would build the 'basic' house to live in it. What builders call basic is verrrry basic.

You will soon get to know the ins and outs after a while here.:wink: