advice on schooling and housing in adelaide

Guest Al+nic

I am relocating to Adelaide with my husband and 3 teenage children in December from Scotland. We plan to live initially in the city courtesy of my husbands employer. Need advice on nice places to stay in the suburbs not too far away from the city where my husbands work is. Also need advice on schooling for my twin boys age 14yrs. thanks Nicola

• 2 weeks later...

I loved Unley when we were over last. Not far from the CBD, the parklands and easy to get to other places from. Also the houses are generally in the style I like, tended to be older, more character.

TBH I think you need to make a list of what you wants are, for all of you. If its being nearer a beach, a not too far commute and other things, places like Brighton might suit you (has a good high school also from what I understand). But plenty of good high schools around anyways.

Personally I'd want to be near the CBD but not right on top of it. I also like the southern side/end of Adelaide, I guess as its what I know more with hubby's family mostly living around there. We'll be starting off in Glenelg and then hopefully either staying there or a suburb close by. 30 minutes to the city on the tram, beaches not too far away and some good schools, shops (Marion shopping centre is not too far a drive away, large multiplex there, indoor shopping area) and also local shops, parks and other things I can walk to with younger kids.

Have a look at http://www.realestate.com.au/ , properties are not all listed under Adelaide though. Only those with the 5000 code fall under that. But you can use the drop down list and find places on google maps also.

If you could afford it, you could consider living in eastern suburbs, from places like Rose Park, Norwood, Glenside, Glenunga, which are only minutes from CBD to suburbs like Wattle Park, Magill, Tranmere, Firle, St Morris, Stonyfell, Beaumont which are little bit further away towards the hill. Plenty of good state schools (glenunga international, Marryatville, and Norwood Morialta) or private/christian/catholic schools (Loreto, Pembroke, St peters, Prince Alfred, Seymour College).RegardsWijaya

Thanks everyone for the info on the suburbs a lot to go on there and a few schools to check out .Can anybody tell me if you can buy property if you have a temporary visa, we are hoping to apply for permanent residency after 2 years and wondered do we have to wait till then before we can buy. Cheers Nicola:smile:

Yes you can buy property on temporary visa. you only need to get FIRB (Foreign Investment Review Board), but I think this is a formality if you are a personal buyer. We just did exactly that. We are still on 475 visa, and just moved into a new house two weeks ago. FIRB will take a month to approve. The whole process of buying took 10 weeks. It could take less time but 10 weeks suited us because we wanted to move as as our rent finished.