Subletting my new apartment?

Guest button

Hey,

So I landed in Adelaide a couple of days ago and after a little sleep and some confusion with the downstairs/upstairs of Woolworths on Rundle Street I've started home hunting.

I'm in a bit of a strange situation, my partner is going to be coming to join me for a month/three months on and off, but not permanently. For those times I'd like a place to ourselves, but otherwise I'd prefer sharing, just for a bit of company. The places I've been looking at that I like are better suited to a budget of 2 as well - so around $400 - $450 a month. A place on my own that doesn't seem awful is still hitting the $300. I'm hoping to get somewhere in the CBD, or perhaps Norwood / Melbourne St area since they've been my favourites so far.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on if Ill be able to get short term renters to take the second room on and off for periods of a couple weeks / max 5-6 months. I'd even be happy enough for singles/couples who are on this site to stay when they first arrive, and maybe just charge a bit more than half for the short time period.

What do you think, is it a crazy plan where I'm putting myself to a lot of bother, and potential hassle / less than safe situation? Would you be happy staying somewhere like this when you're first arriving?

Any thoughts/ideas much appreciated!

Thanks a million!

Your landlord may not be very happy about this, most will not allow sub-letting. The nicer the place the more fussy the agent/landlord can be. If you don't tell them and they find out you could be thrown out if the lease was broken, then you may have trouble getting a reference for further lets.

Others may say different but put yourself in the landlords place, they are offering a long term let within the laws that govern it. If you then offer short term lets and god forbid something happens or gets broken then their insurance could be invalid. You would really have to ask permission before doing this in someone elses property.

Yeah, I'd been thinking that and the last thing I want to do is annoy a new agent / landlord.

Both places I've seen where I've been thinking that this could work I checked with them and both said it would be no problem since the place would be fully in my name then I'd be held untimately responsible. So really it seems up to me if I'm willing to take on that responsibility for myself. Since most places are unfurnished anyways there wouldn't be too much damage that could be done to the property, so Id be more concerned about my stuff.

Wherever I end up if I'm thinking this will be the best way forward Ill be sure it's ok with the landlord prior to agreeing anything. Thanks!

Any other thoughts I'm missing would be appreciated.

I would also get something in writing to that effect if possible, even if it is just an e-mail, to cover yourself.

It will be some hassle yes, but also fun. I would think about how you can secure your valuables etc though. Most people are honest but it only takes one to ruin everything!!

I know there are some websites that offer rooms in peoples houses for short stays. They are usually for younger people who want a nice but cheaper place to stay. I think they register with the site so it gives a bit more security than just taking people in blind with no back up at all.

Might be worth looking into though.

Guest button

Cool thanks I'll take a look at that.

I've found a really nice place that has 2 good bedrooms, and at a rent I can afford myself, but would be much nicer with 2, so will apply, get something in writing and see, and worst case it doesn't seem to be working out I'll be able to keep it anyways. It's nice and close to work and City Centre so I won't have transport costs either really so added bonus :)

Thanks for the advice, sometimes not sure what the right path is when you're wandering alone and no one to bounce ideas off!