Cover Letter for landlords or real estate agents

Rabeah

Hello,

my hubby and me are going to move to Australia in February 2012. I've read here that some immigrants/tenants provide a cover letter like an introduction letter of themselves to real estate agents or landlords. Mostly tenants in overcrowded cities do this because they don't want to be forgotten with 30-40 applicants on one house only. They write 1 or 2 paragraphs about themselves with a nice photo. My question is what details do you put in such a letter? Name, age, marital status, but how did you write it in a good style? We are moving to Australia because...We want this house because... Thanks a lot for any advise!

Guest Nick Tuck

Is this for a rental.

We indeed did a cover letter for both properties that we have rented and I beleive it is a good way to do it. It shows you care.

Just outline your positives.

i.e. rental history, financial situation (whether you can prove you have money in the bank to cover rent), no pets, no kids, jobs etc.

The things listed above are generally positives and obviously you may have children, pets etc. Really its a case of highlighting the positives (non smoking etc).

There can sometimes be a big number of applications for rentals but we have not had a problem when applying for our 2. We made sure we did the application very quickly, (as they may process the first one in ASAP if they feel you are good for it).

I also made sure that I was friendly to the agent in person.

Hope this helps

Nick

Sounds like a good idea. It is in the end the decision of the landlord who gets the property and when a few people are going for a home then this could give you the extra edge. If you have some sort of rental history I would put this in, if you owned your own home, you could put that in too just to give them a reason why you haven't got a rental history. I'd also list that that you have had a "Police Check" (if you have had one).

• 3 months later...
Guest danielgiibs

I think a intro letter is really a great idea! The landlord should able to know that are you reliable, will you pay on time and will you look after their house. You can reassure them by telling that you have a steady job or finances to help you and if you are a family they know you are not just up and moving.