How soon can you move into your new rental??

leelee53

Hello,

We arrive on the 1st Jan, and have booked into a holiday let for the first 12 days. We are going to set some long term rentals up to view before we leave the UK, so that we can have them ready to view when we arrive. What I wanted to ask is what the rough timescale is from signing the rental agreemant to 'moving in ' date. We need to move into our new rental after the 12 days is up. Is this an unrealistic idea? Never rented a property before so unsure of the process!

Lisa ;o)

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi,

We viewed our rental and heard we had got it by 4pm the same day so we went straight to the Estate Agents and signed up and got the key there and then. We found it easier to view 'by appointment' properties better as the 'opens' are a weird experience and you may find you get into a Dutch Auction with other prospective tenants, whoever wants the property more can offer over the rental price to get it. Guess we were very lucky, we only went to 1 open before we viewed and got our house.

We had to provide an aussie bank statement so in view of the fact that you are landing on 1st Jan and the next day (2nd) is a public holiday, if you haven't already set up a bank account here which you do before you leave the UK, that maybe your first port of call before you leave the UK to arrange an appointment at the bank and get a bank statement. We also got a reference letter from our short term landlord as they need a proof of address. Of course this is only our experience and may not be the same for others on this forum.

I must admit I was in a panic to find a long term rental and thought we would be homeless at the end of our short term let but there are plenty of rentals around all depends what you are looking for and where.

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi Lisa,

We opened an account with NAB by post, I rang their office in London and they sent me a form & info pack whilst still it UK and made an appointment (still in UK) via e-mail so simple and you can advise them of your TFN once you get it but not having one at the time of your appointment is not a problem. Loads of ATMs and no bank charges, they own Clydesdale & Yorkshire Bank so their online banking is more or less the same setup as YB & C'dale. Virtually every suburb has a branch office but we went to King William Street in city as think that is head office (plus we registered with Medicare in city on same day). Very helpful and courteous staff at NAB, the whole process took about 20 minutes.

Daf x

Hi Daf,

Thankyou once again for such useful info, I have just applied for one of their classic accounts as we speak! Will email them to make an appointment like you did, that way we know things are up and running. Really appreciate your help with this, just one more I can tick off the list now!

I notice you are in Morphett Vale, that is where we will be staying for the first 12 days. We also want to look at Seaford, Moana, Port Noarlunga and Christies when we arrive to see if we can find a long term rental that we like. Are you happy in Morphett Vale?

Lisa ;o)

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi Lisa,

We love MV as we are only 5mins drive to the beach and 5mins the other way to the bush, transport links are good in the event of you not having a car to start with, close to shops, schools & dentist/docs. We stayed here 2 yrs ago on our reccie and knew it was the place for us plus only 45 mins to CBD on expressway it used to take my husband that long to drive 10 miles to work in Manchester on the M60!

When I researched for our house I always did a google street view to check out neighbouring properties to make sure there were no derros living around. Happy to help anytime with any other questions as I know how daunting it all is - we had never rented before either and we have had such a lot of help from people on here and we are still learning stuff daily as we only arrived in March 2011.

Good luck with your search, we found it's no good trying to secure anything until you are actually here.

Daf x