Need some recommendation about suburbs

Guest ozdreamsa

Guest ozdreamsa

I know, you have been asked about the same thing so many times. But still, the obvious question is where to settle, which is the best suitable suburb etc. I have to consider the following:

(1) Nearby High school and Primary school for 2 children aged 4 and 15

(2) Medium populated area with better security

(3) Not too far from CBD as my guess is my workplace might be in or near CBD (my experience is in IT)

(4) I do not want to live more than 10/15 mins drive away from the sea but would definitely do not want to live beside the sea

(5) cheaper house with a nice backyard

I have started serious research (yes, that means reading some posts on PIA and PIO religiously and searching on realestate.com.au). looks like there is too many choices.

What do you think about Glenalta? Any recommendation for us based on the above consideration?

In laws live in Glenalta and love it there. Only issue for me would be slight bushfire risk, and having to drive up and down the Belair Road or Old Belair Road in and out of the CBD, but Brother in Law cycles it every day and doesn't mind, so maybe I'm just being a girly wuss! Nice older style houses, lots of wildlilfe, good schools, handy local shops, and Brighton beach within easy reach. Sounds like it ticks most of your boxes. Hawthorndene out that way is nice too.

Your critieria sounds similar to mine. I have also been looking at Glenalta, Hawthorndene, Blackwood and Belair. I think the selection of houses look good and the environemnt is appealling. There doesn't appear to be many houses for rent there though so we have also been considering Marion, Seacliff and as far down as Hallett Cove, however I am concered about the commuting time and not sure if I want to be quite that far out (I'm used to living very locally to work..spoiled I guess!). Hallet Cove does offer the size of house we want (to rent and to buy) within our budget but nto quite as much choice on the hills areas.

Would also be interested in other views...and any good rentals (3 or 4 bed) in these areas! Not sure when we are coming though. Unlikely to get to Adealide before March 2012.

Guest ozdreamsa

It is nice to find similar minded people.

I am thinking of a short visit in March, really want to be there and March sounds like a nice time considering the weather.

Still researching on suburbs

As someone who has been a postie in the Belair/Blackwood/Glenalta areas I would say this. Its Damn cold in them there hills in the winter. I wouldn't move all the way round the world and have to scrape ice off the car in the mornings LOL

I prefer the Woodcroft/Reynella area. Lived there for 2 years and never saw a frost.

Wow, frost..I would never have guessed that...thanks for the tip off! Fire risk is a bit of a concern but the houses are area looks loverly. We are likely to base ourselves in temporary accommodation in Reynella and plans to explore the surrounding suburds. Hallett Cove is an option but I'm worreid it might be really windy and just a bit too far out. Also like the look of Marino, Seacliff etc.

Guest guest3462

Marino is very expensive for what you get but very beautiful. Have a look at Happy Valley and around there its not too much further than Hallett Cove but much more value for money, the views from some of the properties there are amazing!

We are far south in Aldinga and our kids go to Willunga for school which is great. Rich makes the drive into the CBD every day and takes him an hour in rush hour and about 45 mins when he is late home. (after 7pm) Good luck in your search.

Guest ozdreamsa

Same here, it used to be checking online tracker for SA SS, then 176 status, now it is real-estate.com.au. Now enjoying every bit of it without any tension n with great expectations