Neighbourhoods to avoid?

Guest bentkitty

Guest bentkitty

Hi - we will be moving to Adelaide in July and will rent furnished accommodation for the first few months - - we are both 30 something professionals with no kids.

Can anyone offer some advice on desirable neighbourhoods / areas to avoid? It is so hard to get an honest opinion on this - none of the guide books tell you what the dodgy areas are!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as hard to get a answer on here im afraid. Whats good to some is bad for others and what is bad is good for some. Everyone has different opinions and everyone one will say different things.

Even the good areas have bad sections. At the end of the day you can only decide what is good for you.

Sorry i cant be more helpfull and give you a certain answer but good luck

Guest bentkitty

Thanks Ian, appreciate the quick response, I guess we will just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope the pictures of the accommodation we rent does it justice...

Adelaide being as lovely as it is I am sure we will be happy wherever we end up!!! :)

Guest Greg and Karen
Hi - we will be moving to Adelaide in July and will rent furnished accommodation for the first few months - - we are both 30 something professionals with no kids.

Can anyone offer some advice on desirable neighbourhoods / areas to avoid? It is so hard to get an honest opinion on this - none of the guide books tell you what the dodgy areas are!!!

Hi, as you might guess the only real way to suss out areas is to visit them first hand. You can always stay in a hotel for a week or so while you do this.

However, I have got a very useful book on Adelaide, which goes into details about most of the areas/suburbs - geography, demograhics, schools etc. It is no substitute for being there but is probably the next best thing.

I don't have details on me but will find out tonight and re-post tomorrow.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Where is the property you are going to rent?

Also I see you are crazy cyclists! You will be ok here most of them are or have to be:biglaugh:.

sarah

Guest Lulujim

Hi - We are in a similar position to you. We came to Aus last year, and visited NSW and QLD - and after this visit decided we definitely wanted to move there. When we got back and looked in to visas found we would have to go to SA. The more we look into it though, we love the sound of it, and now would choose this over other states!

I am pregnant now, and by the time I've had the baby we will probably only be a few months off completing the visa process - so although a reccie would be ideal - it's not an option for us.

Choosing a good suburb is hugely important, and I have found the book ' Where to Live Guides - Adelaide' by Chantal Dunbar and Maragret-Ann Williams extremely helpful. It profiles 215 suburbs and even gives the 'good streets', schools etc in each of these. The only drawback is finding a copy! I waited for ages for Amazon to get more stock in, and as far as I am aware they are still out of stock. In the end I went on to the website and bought it direct from Aus. It cost about the same as Amazon (even with P&P) and only took 8 days to get here.

http://www.where2live.info/shop.html

Hope that helps and good luck!! :D

Just as hard to get a answer on here im afraid. Whats good to some is bad for others and what is bad is good for some. Everyone has different opinions and everyone one will say different things.

Even the good areas have bad sections. At the end of the day you can only decide what is good for you.

Sorry i cant be more helpfull and give you a certain answer but good luck

I think your post was very helpful actually, its all down to personal choice and to be honest a "dodgy" area in Adelaide is no way on comparison to a "dodgy" area in the U.K.

Judi x

I think your post was very helpful actually, its all down to personal choice and to be honest a "dodgy" area in Adelaide is no way on comparison to a "dodgy" area in the U.K.

Judi x

Completley agree with that Judi. My advice is don't listen to any ex-pats that point out dodgy areas - we did and it put us off from looking at places where we might have got more for our money.

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi there

Very keen to put my 2c worth in here. Suburbs, always hard to answer, need to consider your needs - where you will be working, where do you want to be near - beach, hills, city, what you can afford etc etc. But guide books ....

Friends who stayed with us at Xmas brought out a Lonely Planet guide to Oz and we took them to Victor Harbor one day and on the way there, they read the review about VH and it compared VH to Blackpool .....????

It would be great to know about this book discussing the various suburbs and to compare them to our thoughts who live here ... but then I guess we will have to wait for someone to get here with it so we can have a peak!

Cheers

Sas

xxx

I would say that down in them thar Onkaparinga Hills there are a fair few undesirables :biglaugh: might be best to avoid that area!

Seriously can only echo, you need to come and suss out for yourselves what it is YOU want, also depends, I think, where in the UK you are moving from affects what might be important to you here. Don't rule anywhere out, apart from places where houses are still really cheap, that is usually a good indicator.

Can recommend a good bike shop in Old Reynella if you need any repairs/a new bike! :P

Guest salisbury massive

We are in the same position and may have to choose a state instead of anywhere in Oz due to visa restrictions. We dont know whether to go for Adelaide or Brisbane suburbs, but will get the book you mentioned. You dont know if there is a similar version for Brisbane? I am looking for a better life style, decent house with pool nearish to beach and defo better weather. First picked Brisbane due to better whether all round oh and Broncos but bit put off by the amount of rain, humidity and dark nights (didnt realise it got dark by 6 even in summer. Adelaide although seems to be colder in winter does have less rain and lighter nights but again doesnt look as though the beaches are as good and have been told its quiet there. I know its personal taste but would welcome your opinion. Suppose I really should be sensible to look to where OT has a better chance of a job, salary and prospect!

Guest Guest75
I would say that down in them thar Onkaparinga Hills there are a fair few undesirables :biglaugh: might be best to avoid that area!

Ya beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!

Want to keep this place quiet now:SLEEP:

Seriously can only echo, you need to come and suss out for yourselves what it is YOU want, also depends, I think, where in the UK you are moving from affects what might be important to you here. Don't rule anywhere out, apart from places where houses are still really cheap, that is usually a good indicator.

Yep.All you can do is choose a bunch of suburbs to look at when you arrive.This city is very spread out now.

Can recommend a good bike shop in Old Reynella if you need any repairs/a new bike! :P

Nah- can't think of a good one - can recommend an EXCELLENT one though - Called Tailwind??

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a short note on the 215 suburbs of Where to live - Adelaide.

We went to the Coventry Emigrate Show, and were given a free copy with the goody bag that the South Australia Government stall were giving away. It is very very useful - but we have noticed some areas mentioned on this and other sites are not in the book - there is however, great info on schools and shops, and also the general 'prospects' of a particular area.

For info, the next show is at Sandown racecourse on March 1 / 2nd. Highly recommended for those starting out or still thinking about emigrating.

Hope this is of use,

Sluggy

I live in Adelaide and have visited my sister in Brisbane a few times

Adelaide or South Australian beaches are sooo much better than Brisbane further up North QLD beaches are nice but you cant swim due to jelly fish and salt water crocodiles.

Just about all SA beaches are user friendly and beautiful sand/water

Thats good no crocodiles in SA and on the beaches. I can now tell my 7 year old as its a big worry for him. So Ive told him and he says thats cos the sharks have eaten the crocs mam.

Can I win ??? LOL

Kimberley x

• 3 weeks later...

that is so hilarious comparing Victor to Blackpool. My advice is to work out what your needs are, if you have children, find the scholls first, then work out how and where you are going to live in the area. If your children are heavily into dance for example, don't move to an area where the nearest dance school is a good drive away. same with scouts/ guides your own lifestyle etc. When my husband came here he wasn't used to the fact that his 'local' meant not a stroll down the road, but a drive or a long walk. If you are the sort of person who likes shopping in the city centre then make sure you are near transport.

Talking to someone at work the other day who came here as a child with his family, about 16 yrs ago now. They got into a taxi at the airport and asked the driver where was a good place for families.... He took them to Hallett Cove. Houses were great, but his mum didn't drive, it took them a long time to feel settled... a couple of trips back and forth actually. If you are only going to have 1 car and it is at work all day, the person left at home can feel very isolated in the outer suburbs and it makes it difficult if the kids want to do things. Think about what you need from an area, then ask which suburbs fit this.

rachel

Guest zx6roo

Okay here' a tip.... Adelaide categories suburbs... they shouldn't but they do and it's even been on the news but they still do it.

Go to your local Coles, Woolworthes or AGI supermarket and check out the fruit. If it's manky you are in a lower class suburb, if it's nice (as in you would buy it) you are in a higher class area.

Still get crime etc in both areas and I really don't agree with it asI can't pop into my local store next to my work and buy fresh veggies for dinner because I wouldn't give them to my lizards!

Okay here' a tip.... Adelaide categories suburbs... they shouldn't but they do and it's even been on the news but they still do it.

Go to your local Coles, Woolworthes or AGI supermarket and check out the fruit. If it's manky you are in a lower class suburb, if it's nice (as in you would buy it) you are in a higher class area.

Still get crime etc in both areas and I really don't agree with it asI can't pop into my local store next to my work and buy fresh veggies for dinner because I wouldn't give them to my lizards!

LOL :D , they might like the maggots I've seen crawling across potatoes though!

Hi again just thinking about where I'd live if I had no children.... I would pick the South West of the city centre, near the market. There are townhouses, apartments etc in the streets in this area. The central market is unbelievable.... stalls selling fruit , veg, but also gourmet foods, cakes, Russian, Korean, Organic etc. China town buts onto it. One side of it is flanked by Gouger st, a street full of cafes and restaurants. The tram is 5 mins away and will take you out to the Bay (Jetty RD, Glenelg) or into Rundle Mall.

Second choice would be Glenelg, it has the beach, the resteraunts, cafes, the marina, etc. 3rd choice would be near The Parade in Norwood , it buzzes on a Sunday, there are nice pubs, little shops, a cinema and is still close to town.

Rachel

I agree with the other comments that it is a personal choice, but as no one wants to name names I will!!!

We are a professional couple aged 29 and 34 with no children, so what is right for us might not be right for other people, but hopefully it will give you something to work with.

Generally suburbs close to the city centre tend to be the most expensive, whereas in the UK where we lived they were the areas to avoid!

Some of the suburbs we like: Glenelg, Norwood, Stepney, Unley, Parkside, Goodwood, Wayville, Eastwood, Clarence Park, Millswood, Magill, Prospect to name a few.

Suburbs we would not choose to live in: Christies Beach, Hackham, Elizabeth, Salisbury, Smithfield Plains, Davoren Park, Blair Athol to name a few.

We have recently bought a house and had an idea where we wanted to buy, but we did find the 'Where to Live' book that people have mentioned previously useful and it confirmed our thoughts that we were buying a property in a good area that would be a good investment.

Hope this helps.