Renting a spare room proof of address ?

Guest Ploppy

Dear Poms,

I'm thinking of renting a spare room as my initial accommodation when I make first entry next year. To get the various ID (drivers licence, medicare), will a letter from my landlord stating I'm a tenant be sufficient proof of address ?

Look forward to your comments.

Ploppy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Seaweed

Hi everyone,

I realise this reply is possibly a bit late to help the original poster, but it may help someone else...

We have just moved back to SA from Queensland (Been in Oz since 1974!) and to transfer my drivers licence to SA, and register my cars here, we needed one of the following:

A utility bill showing our new address.

A copy of the lease for the new address.

A receipt for rent paid at the new address.

Just verbally telling them an address will not cut it I am afraid.

Having said that, as long as one has a receipt for rental paid at an address, regardless of accommodation type, it seems that will satisfy the authorities.

:)

Just to add to Seaweed's reply.........make sure your tenancy agreement is written in BLUE ink, or any colour other than Black. Officials will not take it as an original if it is in Black as it could have been changed and photocopied.

Cheers

Judi x

Guest Ploppy

Seaweed/ Roo1,

Thanks for the posts and it's not too late to be useful. I'm considering homestay accomodation. Will a letter from the Landlord (in blue ink) be sufficient proof of address, as stated before to gain Oz ID's. Or will a proper rental agreement be required?

Ploppy.

Guest Adelaide_bound

On this note - is a hotel room any good? We are staying in a hotel for a bit, then off travelling - we do have the option of using a friend's address, which tbh we will use for our shipping contact etc, but we don't want to put him on the spot with using his address as a rental address type thing, as it may have tax etc implications for him?

Argh, its all so hard!

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

I've been wondering about this too. Everyone seems to do Medicare, centre link, driving licences etc as soon as they arrive but how does that work logistically if you're only in a short term rental? We are in a B&B for the first 3 weeks so won't have proof of a permanent address and even if we use that, if we have to wait for things to be sent out in the post etc, we'll probably be gone by the time they do!