victor harbor

Guest dawn77

Guest cunnah10
hi everyone , can anyone tell me anything about victor harbor , whats it like , and how far is it from adelaide , many thanks dawn

Hi Dawn

Victor Harbor is lovely as many people will agree on here!We went out for a reccie last June and spent a lot of time in Encounter Bay(Victor Harbor).Would love to settle there but so far out on it's own would worry about Jobs and if there was enough for the kids but each to their own.My hubby still says that Victor Harbour would be his ideal area to settle!I would only worry about being too far out for the kids so i would have to do more research but we were only there a few days so unfortunately didn't get to see enough.

Are you going for a reccie or thinking of a place to settle?

Gill

hi gill , were looking at some where to settle just starting out on the visa bit si long time off yet , but im looking into all ares at the moment. how far have you got . do you recomend any where else i can look into .

cheers Dawn

Guest Guzzler&Sas

morning

VH is a great place but according to the Lonely Planet guide to Oz, they liken it to Blackpool .....?

Plenty to do, very pretty, a bit touristy - lots of wildlife - Granite Island and you can do the dusk walk and see penguins ... there is whaling station and lots of history there.

As for employment - can't tell you really. We have visited there several times - love the walk out to Granite Island, my girls love getting the shire horse drawn tram over there ...

About 40 mins from us - Onkaparinga Hills.

Cheers

Sas

HI Dawn

Victor is a lovely area usually a bit cooler there usually than in Adelaide, it used to be very seasonal people going there for summer hols but now it is busy all year round as the whales come in to the sheltered coves to give birth in the winter months so can be as busy as summer! There are also lots of retirees, but more young families are moving there, It would depend on what you do for a living there would be work in hospitalilty, retail, hospitals and teaching. We live in Moana it takes about 30 mins from here.

There is a local paper called the Victor Harbor times which comes out weekly with all the local news.http://victorharbor.yourguide.com.au/home.asp?ix=2&mast_id=106 might give you a good idea -good luck

thanks every one looks like vh might not be the right place for us .

my oh is an electrician and im a full time mum , where just looking for some where which is not to far away from adelaide and has got good amenities , safe beaches ect, as we have two children one aged 10 and the other aged 1 so need to be some where that can cater well for children.

so will keep on looking , i have heard about hallet cove , but have heard its quite a hilly place , can anyone tell me anything , would be greatfull many thanks to all

Dawn x

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi Dawn

There have been lots and lots of threads on here regarding various suburbs - so perhaps have a look at a few old one and see what you think.

It is always quite difficult getting someone's opinion on a suburb because it depends what style/standard of living you are used to in the UK because one perhaps hell, maybe another person paradise, if that makes sense. It may also come down to what you can afford too.

Good luck in the search ....

Regs

Sas

xxx

• 2 years later...
Guest moonraker1959

As someone else has mentioned,the nickname for it is "God's Waiting Room"due to the high concentration of retiree's residing there.I spent quite alot of time as a teenager surfing off Middleton Beach(nearby to VH),and took my OH there last year.I do like it I guess,but it can be ridiculously quiet when its out of season.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pikerpete

Wife and i visited Victor when we came out for a holiday with her brother who lives in Salisbury East and found it a really nice place to go and the walk around Granite Islaand was fantastic.It seemss such a long time ago but really need to hop on the plane for a re-visit.

Guest Taylors08

Hi,

We have visited Victor Harbour a few times and it is lovely, cold in Winter but nice on a hot day as its got a nice breeze. We live in Brighton which is excellent, close to the beach, easy for the city, near shops. I have a almost 13yr old who has got into Brighton (suppose to be a great high school) and a 3yr old and almost 1yr old and we love it here! Started in Glenelg which also was lovely. But not everyone is the same, but this works for us!! x

• 2 years later...
Guest Lifestyle'n

Victor is a great place to raise the kids, with good school options, beachside and town living. The night clubbing may not equal Ibiza but there are a number of pubs and clubs, but hey your kids are very young so the sporting clubs would provide a great social Callender for you all. I would think that a qualified electrician would be in great demand. Come for drive, it is well worth the look.

Most people visit VH for a day trip type thing tbh.There's nothing wrong with the town as such,its nice actually but personally not my cup of tea to live in.Quite can't put my finger on it,as I lived in a country town myself when I lived in SA.OH and I spent a night there a couple of years ago (my sister also lives there)and went out at night,and I half expected to see spinifex blowing down the main street!:err:!Seriously quiet,to the point one pub had less than half a dozen people in(this was a Friday night btw)and one pub was closing early at 10pm due to lack of punters!We did happen to pass a couple of locals (women)and had a chat and asked them if it was always this quiet?They replied yes except when its schoolies week!As for work,I am guessing it would be quite short in that area,and the electricians that are there,it would be stiff competitian I expect.Each to their own,and yes a great place for a day trip imho,but you might think differently.