Looking for a short term or even a lease break

Guest jayk

Hi every body

We arrive on 17th of march and we are looking for a short term rent for when we first arrive ideally furnished

Although we would consider taking over a lease if somebody was leaving around that time

To be honest we are not to sure how this system works

If anyone could give us any hints or tips on how to best approach

any of these we would very much appreciate your help

Thanks Jason and Katy

You usually book a short term rental further in advance as they often tend to book up months ahead. I'd have a look at the available section as some short term lets have come up and maybe there is something around the time you want. Contact some of those on here who do short term lets as they may have something available at short notice for March.

Failing that, look around at budget hotels if you don't have kids and can put up with them for a week or two? I'd stay in a hostel in a double room with hubby if I needed to if we didn't have a child in tow. Much cheaper and sure, you only get a room and share a bathroom etc, but if you are busy all day and just needing a week or two on the cheap, it'd work for me. I'd not be overly fussed about short term rentals if it was just us as a couple, but that's just me. I don't mind a B&B for a week or two at any time and if it got me over a short stretch landing in Aus, then so be it.

I'd advise against taking on a house blind, even if its a lease break from someone on here. Honestly, if you don't know the area, even if its been good for someone else, it may not be a place you take to and you could then be stuck somewhere for 6 months till a lease ends. You could end up working the other side of the city and have long commutes or some such and it would really spoil things.

Longer term lets I'd wait till you are here, feet on the ground and can attend viewings, submit applications and so on. Also many agents like to meet you and don't really bother with people who are still overseas but I have read of some who may do this.

Thanks for coming back to us. Thinking a holiday apartment might have to be the one the first couple of weeks. Checked out all the hostels last week, double rooms are more than a hol apartment! we'll have a look on here for those with property.

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Even if you take a property after current tenants break the lease you will more than likely need to sign a new lease for the property, which is more likely to be 12 months rather than 6.

Not aware of being able to "take over" a lease for the remaining period. I guess it does happen sometimes but not the usual way of things.

I am happy to stand corrected if someone has actually done this. I know when we broke our lease the new tenants were signed up for 12 months in the usual way. And as landlords a new tenant would be just that, new, so would sign a new lease.

Even if you take a property after current tenants break the lease you will more than likely need to sign a new lease for the property, which is more likely to be 12 months rather than 6.

Not aware of being able to "take over" a lease for the remaining period. I guess it does happen sometimes but not the usual way of things.

I am happy to stand corrected if someone has actually done this. I know when we broke our lease the new tenants were signed up for 12 months in the usual way. And as landlords a new tenant would be just that, new, so would sign a new lease.

In most cases this is correct, unless the landlord has a specific reason for the end date to be shorter or to finish as per the original due date.

Hi, we're in a furnished 4 bedroom house in Blackwood & we're looking for someone to take it over in March until June as our own furniture is arriving in March.

Regards Adele