Advice on southern suburbs Port Noarlunga?

Growler

Hi we like the look of Port Noarlunga as we may be working in the woodcroft area. However our Employer has said this is a lower economic area and has advised us not to go there. We wanted to live there as we have heard good things about it. Can anyone offer us some advice please? The house prices look good too!

If you find somewhere where the houses look very cheap, there is usually a good reason for that. Could be a good investment, but depends on whether you are happy to live in what is sometimes euphemistically called "a developing area".

Not referring specifically to Port Noarlunga though, but the same applies for anywhere where house prices look relatively 'cheap'.

Guest Guest6899

We live in Port Noarlunga and love it. we visited lots of different areas and preferred this area the best. Were two streets from one of the best and safest beaches, lovely little town has a great feeling about it. We get the occasional hoon but you get them everywhere. all areas have good/bad areas most of our neighbours have been here for years so no late night party's. people used to say dont go here and dont go there, you form your own opinion on visiting places. i wouldnt say Port Noarlunga was that cheap, a 3 bed house on our street is on for $550,000.

Lisa

I think the best advice that can be given is to look around the area at different times of day, evening etc and get a feel for it. Like any town there are always better parts than others so unless you actually live there I don't think you can give an opinion. Don't know if you have children but schools are obviously a consideration too before moving into an area. You will always here positives and negatives about an area and only you can decide what is best for you and your family. good luck

Hi all, I have deleted all comments from where it got sidetracked. Not saying the replies were bad but it would have made no sense leaving the reasonable arguments in after I removed the drivel.

Lets not make sweeping statements about areas people live in. There is good and bad in all areas. Will leave it at that.

Thanks,

Chris :)

I think this thread probably proves Trakki's point above very well - check places out for yourself because one man's meat is often another man's poison and until you visit a place for yourself, then what other people think - either good or bad - has no relevance to you. Someone coming from, for example, Kensington in the Uk may not like the same sort of places as someone moving from Dagenham! (not putting Dagenham down, my parents both come from there!) It's very subjective and relative.

When you check out an area, spend some time in the local shopping centres, hang around schools at 'kicking out' time to observe the behaviour of the kids (try not to get arrested when doing this!) and chat to as many people as possible in local shops and in the streets, chat to the shopkeepers in shopping precincts and see if shoplifting is a big issue there; look at the roads for black tyre marks and consider if there are a lot of speed bumps on main thoroughfares which might indicate high hoon (hooligan) activity; are any of the local residential estates behind lockable gates? Is there a lot of graffiti around? Do lots of the houses have half wrecked cars in their front yards? All of these things will help give an indication of whether the area is one you would choose to live in or not.

I think just check out this website, it will advise average house prices by suburb.

http://www.abelrealty.com.au/_excel/LGAFrames2011_12.htm

The thing I find stupid at times when we all talk about suburbs is how bad one suburb is compared to where we live, yet when you look at the average selling prices most people live within a whisker of the same price. In other words most of us are in the same socio economic group.

Woodcroft average pricing = $365K

port Noarlunga average pricing = 380K

Does anyone really think for one second that everyone in Port Noarlunga is radically wealthier, nicer, and posher than anyone in woodcroft?

Unley Park average = $2,300K

If you live there, then maybe you have the right to say where most of us live is a bit rough, but then that would be showing off.

I think you have to look at the areas and see if you can imagine living there, what suits your lifestyle ? We like going out once or twice a week, and from our house within easy walking distance we have a pub (every Friday we have a band on), a cafe primo, a good chinese, and 3 Indian restaurants, plus shops, takeaways, etc... For us we wouldn't want to live say in Flagstaff pines, it's a beautiful area but there is nothing we can as easily walk to and have a good night.

it's all down to your lifestyle and what suits your budget.

I think just check out this website, it will advise average house prices by suburb.

http://www.abelrealty.com.au/_excel/LGAFrames2011_12.htm

The thing I find stupid at times when we all talk about suburbs is how bad one suburb is compared to where we live, yet when you look at the average selling prices most people live within a whisker of the same price. In other words most of us are in the same socio economic group.

Woodcroft average pricing = $365K

port Noarlunga average pricing = 380K

Does anyone really think for one second that everyone in Port Noarlunga is radically wealthier, nicer, and posher than anyone in woodcroft?

Unley Park average = $2,300K

If you live there, then maybe you have the right to say where most of us live is a bit rough, but then that would be showing off.

I think you have to look at the areas and see if you can imagine living there, what suits your lifestyle ? We like going out once or twice a week, and from our house within easy walking distance we have a pub (every Friday we have a band on), a cafe primo, a good chinese, and 3 Indian restaurants, plus shops, takeaways, etc... For us we wouldn't want to live say in Flagstaff pines, it's a beautiful area but there is nothing we can as easily walk to and have a good night.

it's all down to your lifestyle and what suits your budget.

I'd just realised I'd been looking at last years figures, according to this years house sales, woodcroft is more expensive than Port Noarlunga. I think it shows just how close it is to live in either area.

Guest Coleybear

Port Noarlunga is the most beautiful place in the world and trust me I have done alot of travelling! I am aussie with a pommy husband and son that I dragged back here after living in London for 10 years. I always dreamed of raising my family here and finally my dream is coming true. Port Noarlunga is becoming very "yuppie" after all these years. You want to stay away from Morphett Vale & Hackham, they have always been teh problems areas over the years. NOT Porties!

Guest The Dimmocks

We lived in Morphett Vale for over a year and never experienced any problems. There are areas of all suburbs that dont "look" nice. We arrived in Feb 2010 and spent till Aug 2011 looking at houses to buy and areas. We looked all over and saw some areas in all suburbs as far down as Aldinga and as far up as Reynella East that personally for US werent right. We eventually ended up buying in Woodcroft as it within the school zone we want to be in.

I have friends who live in Port Noarlunga, Hackham, Morphett Vale, Christies Beach and lots of other areas and they are all happy where they are. Personally these areas werent what we as a family were looking for.

Wait until you get here and make up your own mind as like people have said before we all have a choice in life!!!!

Just to add my hubby works in Cavan which is north of adelaide, we didnt pick an area depending on job situation as WE like it where WE are.

Hi we like the look of Port Noarlunga as we may be working in the woodcroft area. However our Employer has said this is a lower economic area and has advised us not to go there. We wanted to live there as we have heard good things about it. Can anyone offer us some advice please? The house prices look good too!

I'm guessing that your boss is an aussie too, as most aussies you ask from all over Adelaide would probably have a different opinion about Port Noalunga to lots of the expat Brits who live down there!

If you want a true Aussie area that has no Brits then you could look at Daveron Park. I'm not sure many Aussies would recommend there either.

As others have said get a short term rental and take a good look around. That way you can see for yourself and make your own judgments. Don't go by money though as a general rule of thumb the further from the CBD the cheaper but that's because of commute times.

One more thing just because the 'area' is good it doesn't mean the neighbors will be.

Chris.

Actually if you check the stats, Davoren Park probably has a really high percentage of Brits - mostly those that came over as 10-pound-poms several years ago! :biggrin: Which is probably part of the reason that most aussies wouldn't recommend it....but only part...no-one likes to feel like a foreigner in their own country.

I have lived in Moana, Marino, Christies, Port Noarlunga and Old Reynella.

Just because I have rental houses in Port Noarlunga doesn't mean that I have to push the area....I also choose to live in Port Noarlunga as well.

If I had access to more money I would buy another house here! Maybe the Salvos will give me some money as apparently I live in a pauper area!:biglaugh:

All donations can be sent to the shack under the Port Noarlunga jetty!:arghh:

Tamara

been here from Nov11 ,arrived from Ireland and living in Seaford Meadows and visit portie at least three times a week.Maybe a bit quiet economically but its a lovely little area with a very friendly expat community.I work all over Adelaide as a Plasterer and to tell the truth I love to come home south to the coast after work and as i take in the sights from the coastal drive i just think to myself every day how lucky i am compared to my family back in Ireland.

Guest Guest6899
Hi all, I have deleted all comments from where it got sidetracked. Not saying the replies were bad but it would have made no sense leaving the reasonable arguments in after I removed the drivel.

Lets not make sweeping statements about areas people live in. There is good and bad in all areas. Will leave it at that.

Thanks,

Chris :)

Oh, wondering what iv missed now, lol :biglaugh:

If you want a true Aussie area that has no Brits then you could look at Daveron Park. I'm not sure many Aussies would recommend there either.

As others have said get a short term rental and take a good look around. That way you can see for yourself and make your own judgments. Don't go by money though as a general rule of thumb the further from the CBD the cheaper but that's because of commute times.

One more thing just because the 'area' is good it doesn't mean the neighbors will be.

Chris.

Another ill informed opinion based on others views!

Hi there

I have been here 4 years now and live in Happy Valley.

I can honestly say if it suited my children and schools I would love to live near Port Noarlunga, it's a wonderful seasidey area, to have the sea so accessible would be wonderful, I am only 10 mins away at the moment. My other choice would be Brighton , but can't afford that lol. Port Noarlunga in my opinion is not "cheap".

My husband works north of the city and I have no desire to move there. What you have to remember is 5 years ago the exchange rate was fantastic for every say £100000 you had it gave you $250000,now you will be lucky to get $150000. That's a big difference.

Take time to have a look around and make your own opinion, you will get a feel for the right area. I have no desire to go north of the city as everything I want and need is here in the south.

Good luck

Jo

Hopefully the OP has now got a suitable cross section of views to make some judgements on. As the thread seems to be deteriorating into the usual north-south nonsense that only exists in the minds of ex pat poms in Adelaide, I'm going to close it now. Thanks everyone for your helpful contributions!