Are weekly rental rates negotiable?

Guest lyn

Just trying to shortlist some rental properties online before we get over there. Are the weekly rental prices advertised usually set in stone? Or is there some negotiating to be done with regards the price? If the property's been on for a while and you can pay rent for a few months up front, is there a chance of knocking the price down?

Any advice/experience welcome!

Thanks

Lyn x

you can always try but i wouldn't bank on it. usually for rentals there is a queue of people wanting them and if they have been on the rental market for a while there is usually a good reason behind it.

rentals require a bond which is usually a months rent, to get a rental without references you can offer a few months in advance, but they are generally 12month contracts on long term rentals.

I would say no as above says if the property has been on for a while there is something wrong with it and thats why its still there. I do work for a couple of agents who let houses and they usualy get snapped up there is always seems to be someone looking for a house. Some of the houses I do are not to nice but look good in pictures so beware you must go and see them.

Guest joe'n'cheryl

yeah, normally when you go to the opening, there is a few people interested so you wouldnt be able to negotiate, but possibly with some of the more unpopular older properties you could negotiate. I payed 6weeks bond(deposit) then 4weeks rent upfront before i could move in... so its qite alot of money upfront. I wasn't aware of any other interest in the property we were viewing but the agent told me there was someone else interested and offered $405 per week rather than $395! so we were pretty desperate and possibly they realised that and took advantage so be careful with this. I was quite annoyed but who knows mabe there was someone else!

hope this info helps

Guest loublack

hiya :)

we went to look at a 2yr old rental in Hallet Cove, very gorgeous but above our price bracket, I mentioned this to the real estate agent who advised me to put an offer in writing, so we applied for the house but offered a reduced price (we knocked $50 a week off the advertised price) and we were successful :) All i could advise is to speak to the agent at the time, and go armed with knowledge of similar rental properties in the area and their advertised rates.

good luck!

Guest Guest6899

We got ours cheaper than adverstised by saying what we were willing to pay for the property per week and ours was a brand new build so hadnt been empty. If you dont ask you dont get, at the end of the day they will accept or not, just ask.

Lisa

Guest shella_n

I've managed to negotiate on 2 rentals successfully - both really nice agent told me the rental Market here is very slow at the moment so it's worth a try I reckon

Guest maadmellie

Not usually.......rents are what they say, and since it is usually a real estate firm who has advertised it, yes, rents are set in stone. U will have to pay a bond also, usually of 4 weeks rent, to cover any damages etc or in case you just skip out one night and not return, as well as that you will have to pay 2 weeks rent in advance, and always be 2 weeks in advance. Rental properties are in high demand, but if u have references (at least 3) you will be ahead of anyone who hasnt. There are lots who apply for any property, we have a lot of homeless people in adelaide, i myself was homeless and living in my car for 6mths 18 mths ago, as i couldnt find anywhere to live, having sold my own home and not having any rental references at all. Word of advice, dont be too picky on the accomodation available, as there is not a lot that is available, considering how many need it!!!!