Landlord selling house?

malkitek

Yes .... twice! My advice is to start looking for a new rental straight away. You do have some rights which are outlined on the OCBA site in the Tenancies section. Both times it's happened to me I have got a new place and moved before the other was sold, and not had to pay any more rent. You are entitled to see out the end of the lease, and may be lucky and get another investor buying the property and wanting you to stay on as the tenant.

I found the worst thing was having to keep the house pristine for the open inspections, and having people troop through my home. I put away anything of sentimental value and locked it up out of sight for the opens, and as a tenant you are entitled to stay in the house while they are being conducted. If I remember correctly you get one weeks notice of an open.

Hope that helps a bit.

Sharon

If it was me I'd sit in my underwear watching tv whilst the opens were on. Surely it's worth asking for a rent reduction for all the inconvenience.

Then make a silly offer as well,you must have him over a barrel

Kev.

Here's a link to the government site - gives you some idea of your rights http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Housing,+property+and+land/Renting+and+letting/Information+for+private+rental+landlords/Being+a+private+rental+landlord/Selling+or+purchasing+a+private+rental+property

I also don't think you have to keep the property pristine but obviously tidy. It's not like you are selling it for your landlord. In regards to photos of the property you have a right to say no to them taking some aspects of photos where it infringes on your privacy - details in the link. If you do want to stay on for the remainder of your term remember that these new buyers will be your landlord so best to keep them on side too.

Thanks guys,

we've calmed down a bit but not looking forward to any viewings! How do you make sure no-one is stealing your stuff! :)

we're considering asking owner if we can breake lease at sale without any penalty. Rental agent said they can put this forward to the owner?

Oh roll on the day we buy and then at least all the problems are caused by us!

gill x

If you have really valuable stuff that you can't hide securely I'd suggest hiring a small storage unit to keep it in. I've used the National Storage one at Reynella ...... they told me a lot of people put their valuables in there when they go away on holiday, and during the bushfire season, so I'm sure could accommodate you with a secure lock up for your stuff.

Guest tinkham_lee
If you have really valuable stuff that you can't hide securely I'd suggest hiring a small storage unit to keep it in. I've used the National Storage one at Reynella ...... they told me a lot of people put their valuables in there when they go away on holiday, and during the bushfire season, so I'm sure could accommodate you with a secure lock up for your stuff.

And then forward the bill to your landlords to try to get them to pay for it.

This happened to us in our rental. Landlord wouldn't let us break lease without penalty and we had 5 months left on lease. we had to have 2 opens a month, agent and landlord were not happy when we said no opens in December (wife works in retail so very busy and we had family over). Agent asked us to not be there during an open, I put all my valuables in my car and parked around the corner for half an hour, except the last 2 opens when we were moving out (end of lease) and had boxes everywhere then I stayed in the house (agent not happy again),

Yes, we were renting a 3 bedroom house and the owners decided to move to Queensland so wanted an immediate sale. Our lease was about to expire anyway, but we had to get them to extend it for 2 more weeks to give us time to be able to find somewhere. We were gutted as the house was a newish build (and lovely) and we really struggled to find anywhere until a few days before the lease was about to expire. My stress levels hit the roof.

The real estate agent did say that we could stay in the house whilst the open inspections were going on (I told him that we were going to stay regardless of whether he wanted us there or not because of all our belongings being there.) We ended up losing it with him as he decided to book inspections every weekend for Saturday and Sunday and we said that it was too much, so he had to listen to us as we were still tenants (and the lease stated that opens could only take place every other weekend).

If you have a contract in place for a year, usually they have to let you stay in the house for the rental period.

HTH