which area do we rent aaaahhhh

Guest reevendeb

Guest reevendeb

which part what area of adelaide do we look for rental accomadation,

of course we want some were not too far from the uni,s for my daughter,

and of course the beach. we know there are lots of nice area,s in and around adelaide

but where do we start to look when we get there, we have heard that hallett cove is nice

and victor harbour. where do you start:goofy:

One area I'm surprised people haven't mentioned is the area we live in, near Tea Tree Plaza. It's a good area, close to the city and about a 1/2 hr drive from beaches...very typical suburban which I'm not nuts about but it's safe, I would guess schools are good, lots of amentities etc.

Guest Libby1971

Victor Harbour is more than an hours drive from the universities. And this is outside of rush hour.

I suggest reading through some of the threads which give lots of information about other people's viewpoints on decent places to live.

Adelaidebound is also a good website which has stacks of info. Lisa, a previous moderator, set it up as a way for others to access all the research she had done.

Suzer's comment that good area= good schools is not necessarily correct. I worked at a private school in the area of Tea Tree Gully and was totally stunned by the lack of standards in education and behaviour. As long as the uniform looked good though, the management were happy. This school is now considered to be trading on its earlier reputation as one of the best in Adelaide.

IMO you absolutely must take the time when you get here to go round schools and have a look, ask questions, see for yourself before making a decision about the schools for your children. The children who are at these schools may not be the kids who your child will mix with easily or you may not like the teachers, think the Headteacher is a doormat with little discipline, etc. These things can't be told effectively over a forum like this as what one person notices, another may not and therefore it won't matter to them.

We lived in Oxfordshire in the UK, 2 hours to reach the coast in any direction. As far as we are concerned, anywhere in Adelaide is near the coast but we are 10mins from it here. Hallett Cove is on the coast, as is Port Noarlunga South, Glenelg, Brighton, Christies Downs, Aldinga etc (all in the south). If you want to cross the road, Sheidow Park, Seaview Downs, more of Brighton, Willunga are other areas to try. To the north, West Lakes, Semaphore and I think Glen Osmond are all areas near the beach but don't quote me on that as I haven't been to any of them.

Libby

It depends on what you are looking for. We are giving up our lease as we have bought a property. There is 6 months left on it. It is in Brighton. 100 metres from the beach. Walking distance to the train station. Most of the people from the UK feel they want a 1 years lease. We thought that also when we arrived, however, the prices of houses in Adelaide are increasing quite considerably, therefore I would recommend a shorter lease to enable you to get on the property market quite quickly. If you want details of our property, it is through http://www.mccranor.com.au.

Guest salisbury massive
Hmm didn't know that Libby. My hubs used to work in a few of the nearby schools (as IT support) and didn't think they were that bad:/

the state schools in our area are not that bad Suzer. Reading the post it is 1 private school in the area that is not so hot. I would recommend most of the primary schools in the tea tree gully area. High Schools are another matter though.

Jo

Guest Libby1971

Sorry guys

Jo you are quite right to point out that yes I was referring to just one school. But for me it serves to illustrate the point that you can't go on what others tell you, you have to go and see for yourselves.

From the UK I was told everything was great with this particular school and when I got there it looks good until the kids come in.

State schools are good I think although Jo is more informed than I am about up there but like she says, state schools seem good.

Libby

Guest peter76

do u find the area nice to live for a young family

i visited last year and meet family in vista and highbury i thought area was nice but we did not visit beaches or schools we plan 2 come out in may and would be looking how far beach is from this area and if you can think of anywhere within the area to visit:wacko:

My partner is a part time football(soccer) coach and he would be looking at local clubs

cheers

murphy family

One area I'm surprised people haven't mentioned is the area we live in, near Tea Tree Plaza. It's a good area, close to the city and about a 1/2 hr drive from beaches...very typical suburban which I'm not nuts about but it's safe, I would guess schools are good, lots of amentities etc.