Agents requirements for a house rental?

Guest heatherb

Guest heatherb

Hi there,

Can any one give me a heads up on the documentation required by agents for a rental property. I want to make sure I have all the relevant paperwork with me rather that packed in the container.

We own our house here in the U.K. and will have sold up by the time we come over. We will not have jobs when we arrive as we will be setting up our own business so we are planning to offer rent up front, say six months.

I know they will need our bank details and the deposit and their application form completed, but do they ask for anything else?

Thanks,

Heather

Hi, you will need to provide 100 points of identification, UK passport, drivers licence (Aussie one pref, so get it asap), medicare card, bank card, as examples.

References help, since you own in UK you will be unable to provide rental refs, so ask your neighbours to do you a reference if you know them well enough and don't hate each other, reference should state time as neighbours and of course how wonderful you are. UK bank statements will also be very useful to show regular payment of morgage and bills. As you've mentioned, Aussie bank statements will prove funds in Australia and if you can afford it offering 6 months in advance will go a long way since you have no jobs. We were in the same position and did just that, they didn't take us up on six month payment offer, but we're in! Can't think of anything else although we brought as many references for character and work as we could. Agents here tend to have open days on rental propertys, so you can find yourself in a sea of people all looking at same time. If you want the property, you will be expected to fill out paperwork there and then, to stand a chance. Also make sure you single out the agent and have a good chat, so they remember you. Too much like a cattle market for us so we went with a private landlord, best decision ever!

P.s the 100 point ID check is done for each person who will be resident, adults anyway.

Hi we've just secured a rental 2 weeks after arriving. We completed the application form at the time of viewing as there were lots of other people there, we had a good chat with the agent & advised her we were knew to Oz, we provided her with passports, 1 UK 1 South African driving licence, hubbies work contract to how he was employed & his boss and a friend here as reference. That was the Saturday then by the yesterday she'd rang his boss and then ran us to say the place was ours. As easy as that really.

It

Can be daunting when you're At an open viewing with ten other viewers but just chat to the agent & tell them your circumstances, most of them here have been lovely.

Guest heatherb

Thanks for the help guys sorry for taking so long to respond I seem to have spent the last few days in the loft, workshop or garage sorting, cleaning and dumping stuff and the weather is doing its best to make it impossible to dry things outside!

H.