Christies Beach

Guest Paula H

Guest leeannekays

think that when you come over and have a look round and spend time in different areas you have your own personal opinion of where is right for you and your family. We have.

Leeanne Xxx

Guest ReadyPenny

Some people are of the opinion that Christies is a "bit rough" because it is one of the lower socio-economic areas in the South. Whether or not you consider it "rough" depends on where you come from in the UK I guess. I came from a council estate and therefore don't categorise it as "rough", I know what "rough" is, I lived a few miles from Moss Side in Manchester!! I don't think there is anything wrong with it per se and Christies Beach happens to be one of my favourites, for me personally I just think there are nicer places to live in Adelaide.

Hi from Christies Beach resident of nearly 2.5 years.

Posted on the post a bit further up before. We didn't come from a rough area although we lived near one. It is no rougher here than anywhere else. Every suburb has a few rough looking streets. In all the time we have been here have only seen trouble once (nothing major) and that was someone getting a bit lairy on the corner on Oz Day. If you go to the North End, you may find it a bit rougher. Problem with Christies is that originally it was where all the poms landed and may have been the equiv of our council estates in UK. Unfortunately, even if it is no longer like that, the stigma remains. We love it here and if we could get eprfect amount of land here to go with the house in our price bracket we would. Unfortunately they have started sub-dividing everything so you feel like you are in a little box.

No disrespect to anyones opinion on here but some of the answers you might get are from people that have never actually lived here.

Will get off my high horse now (sorry don't normally do this).

Guest ReadyPenny

The OP didn't ask for opinions of people who have lived there, but rather what people, in general, don't like about it. My response answers the original question as to why "some" people don't it. No offence is or was intended, simply trying to answer the original question :)

Hi wasn't having a dig at you and respected / appreciated your original comment and no offence taken or was intended to be given.

I was generalising as have seen many a dig on here from people that have not had first hand experience of the place and have either driven past / through it for all of 5 minutes or listened to someone else that did not know. Just thought answer needs to come from people that were given a mixed review before got here and someone that actually lives here.

Guest ReadyPenny

]Hi wasn't having a dig at you and respected / appreciated your original comment and no offence taken or was intended to be given.

I was generalising as have seen many a dig on here from people that have not had first hand experience of the place and have either driven past / through it for all of 5 minutes or listened to someone else that did not know. Just thought answer needs to come from people that were given a mixed review before got here and someone that actually lives here

No worries at all :) Christies gets a lot of bad press and I've never really understood why. In summer that's the beach we frequent the most! I think it's as said before, it's just a reputation thing - sadly :(

Guest scmercer

Hi

I agree with the previous post that you really do need to have a look yourself. I thought the beach was nice but I wasn't too fond of the area, but that is just my opinion, it is not one of the best suburbs but it does have affordable accommodation. It does depend on what you want I suppose, there are lots of people that love the area and have settled well. The suburbs really vary in Adelaide and it is so difficult to decide where you want to live when you are still in the UK. We based ourselves near Devon Park( just outside the city) when we first arrived but we soon realised it wasn't for us. We spent a few months driving about the different suburbs getting a feel for the place and ending up buying in North Brighton.

Guest Nizcac

Hi all,

We have just had 2 weeks in woodcroft (Tykes place - very nice!) and had quite a few visits to Christies Beach and our opinions are:

Area seems fine, fabulous park with bbq's right by the beach & cafes close by. Good variety of shops to suit most needs. A stones throw from Noarlunga which has everything you could wish for from a huge shopping centre to swimming, ice skating, cinema, rail link, etc... We had a look at a few properties and to be honest it's just like the UK you get good and bad, but we saw a few at a good price close to the beach (£150k ish) yes pounds.

The Beach is fab: good waves but not to rough, fab for 13 yearold nutter, but also good for 8 year old drama queen. The only down side is it is a Dog Beach which unfortunately means you do get the extremely vile dog owners that think its OK to let their Dog Sh** on the beach and not clean up. I must also point out that you do get a majority that do clean up though.

All in all we were originally looking around the Aberfoyle Park area but have now decided that if we do emigrate (OH is very undecided - personally I left the UK 6 years ago but he still can't quite commit, So I am still living in Blighty :( ) We would focus our initial search on Christies beach.

Good Luck. x

Hi all,

We have just had 2 weeks in woodcroft (Tykes place - very nice!) and had quite a few visits to Christies Beach and our opinions are:

Area seems fine, fabulous park with bbq's right by the beach & cafes close by. Good variety of shops to suit most needs. A stones throw from Noarlunga which has everything you could wish for from a huge shopping centre to swimming, ice skating, cinema, rail link, etc... We had a look at a few properties and to be honest it's just like the UK you get good and bad, but we saw a few at a good price close to the beach (£150k ish) yes pounds.

The Beach is fab: good waves but not to rough, fab for 13 yearold nutter, but also good for 8 year old drama queen. The only down side is it is a Dog Beach which unfortunately means you do get the extremely vile dog owners that think its OK to let their Dog Sh** on the beach and not clean up. I must also point out that you do get a majority that do clean up though.

All in all we were originally looking around the Aberfoyle Park area but have now decided that if we do emigrate (OH is very undecided - personally I left the UK 6 years ago but he still can't quite commit, So I am still living in Blighty :( ) We would focus our initial search on Christies beach.

Good Luck. x

Well said, we love Christies Beach and have no problem with the area at all. Unfortunately every time we go down to the beach we come across the same problem, irresponsible dog owners letting their dogs use the beach as a toilet and also the grassed area above the beach is particularly bad. As it happens we were down there yesterday and it was worse than ever, many piles of feces were even on the pavements. Having said that, many beaches and sea fronts have the same problem.

Do your research yourself guys. It's a great place in my opinion. Quite a few snobby poms don't think so but they wouldn't live outside of glenelg or Henley beach. Can take the poms out of the UK but unfortunately you can't take (or DIAC don't exempt) the snobs.

Do your research yourself guys. It's a great place in my opinion. Quite a few snobby poms don't think so but they wouldn't live outside of glenelg or Henley beach. Can take the poms out of the UK but unfortunately you can't take (or DIAC don't exempt) the snobs.

Not doubting the existence of snobby poms, but unfortunately there are plenty of Aussies who don't have a good word to say about suburbs like Christies Beach. A woman (newly arrived UK migrant) recently started at my work place and when asked where she was living excitedly talked about their rental at Christies - the looks from one person to another spoke volumes. Eventually, a colleague said 'are you going to tell her or shall I?' meaning they should break the news that she'd gone to a rough area. I'm afraid that reputations take a long time to change - especially here.

Jim

Adelaide, being a small place, the people tend to have long memories. Back in the 70s Christies Beach was rough, it was teeming, the massive high school which was so big had to have two campuses and wasn't regarded highly. Many other suburbs, especially those which had a higher proportion of the fallout from the restructuring of manual labour type work and resulting high unemployment also had bad reputations. Adelaide people remember this and therefore in their minds it is tainted. However as with other suburbs the bulldozers are coming through and as the last cheap beachside real estate close to the city the affordable houses have been changing this quietly over the last decade. Give it another 10 years and it will be a "tightly held suburb" in estate agent speak. :biglaugh: If you like the area, go live there and if after all you find it is not to your tastes then you can always move cos there are plenty of other suburbs.

My Dad bought his home in Goodwood in the late 70's and at that time it also had a bit of a reputation even though it was right next to Hyde Park & Unley. It was a justified reputation (I think) but the suburb within about 10-15 year of moving here started to change because of other family friendly people liking the area and slowly more shops and facilities opened up and unfortunate IMO many of the older style homes got knocked down to make room for two townhouses etc.

Unfortunately still a lot of drug addicts i the area.

mmm....dont think you will find that drug taking/addicts is more in Christies Beach than anyone else. I see your signature is Reynella...i live in Happy Valley, and being the mother of a teenage and adult daughter, i can tell you that the drug culture is thriving in our area just as much as anywhere else...dont be fooled into thinking its anyworse in an area that is deemed to be less desirable.

Adelaide, being a small place, the people tend to have long memories. Back in the 70s Christies Beach was rough, it was teeming, the massive high school which was so big had to have two campuses and wasn't regarded highly. Many other suburbs, especially those which had a higher proportion of the fallout from the restructuring of manual labour type work and resulting high unemployment also had bad reputations. Adelaide people remember this and therefore in their minds it is tainted. However as with other suburbs the bulldozers are coming through and as the last cheap beachside real estate close to the city the affordable houses have been changing this quietly over the last decade. Give it another 10 years and it will be a "tightly held suburb" in estate agent speak. :biglaugh: If you like the area, go live there and if after all you find it is not to your tastes then you can always move cos there are plenty of other suburbs.

Cricky! I went to school at Christies Beach Primary and whilst it wasn't luxurious I had a good basic education until the age of 10. As for it being a rough area in the 70's which is when I was going to primary school it wasn't anymore undesirable than say most areas in the UK. My family lived in Port Noarlunga and as those that live or have lived in that area they are stone throw apart and I never noticed any difference between the areas. having said that I was young and didn't really care so long as I had friends and it didn't matter where they lived.

Regarding the high school at Christies back in the 70's it did have problems and i know that my brother had trouble but what it was with I don't really know - mum and dad kept that between them and my brother.

At the end of the day if you have good neighbours and YOU like the area it doesn't matter what others think.

Mis