Is a 2wk rental long enough to......

Guest Paula H

Hi Paula

I would say not, those families migranting from the Uk have only rented for a minimum of 4 weeks to give them time to find a long term. There is alot of competition in the rental market, and I think you will find it hard pushed to get something you want in 2 weeks. We struggled to find a rental in 4 weeks - but did in the end.

Just my opinion - im sure there will be others.

Sarahx

I suppose it will very much depend on which suburb you choose, if their is a high portion of rentals, it will be easier. Also will depend on what sort of rental you are prepared to take on, lots of places have interiors from who knows when, we kept saying I remember that kitchen, my nan had one just like it when I was a kid. To give you an idea, I was a kid when flares were the order of the day. We had our initial holiday rental for 6 weeks, we were constantly online and in the paper and looked at everything in a 6 suburb radius. Not over fussy, but clean and modern with 2 parking spaces required. We ended up extending holiday rental to 8 weeks, and said how on earth has anyone done it in 2 weeks. Having said that it all worked fine for us, staying in furnished rental for 8 weeks only gave us 2 weeks of no stuff till container arrived. Happy hunting.

Guest ReadyPenny

I'd say 4 weeks will give you a bit extra breathing space. It's a bit crazy when you first arrive, there is lots to do that you need to do and lots to do that you want to do! Tight timelines don't work for me when things are unfamiliar etc etc, I guess it's a personal choice thing but I would allow 4 if it were me!!

Guest Paula H

It also because the kids will be starting school after 2 weeks so ideally will need an address for them (preferably in that suburb too

Guest RobJ1978

Hi,

I would say that two weeks is not enough time to find a long term rental. The first couple of weeks, as well as jetlag you have to sort out a whole host of things, Medicare, Centrelink, driving licences etc etc. As likesshopping said two weeks will put you all under so much pressure to get yourself a place and competition for rentals is tough. We have been here for five weeks now and we have just moved into our long term rental. You need a month, in my opinion to give yourself breathing space to find a rental.

Good luck!

Rob

We did it within two weeks, was pretty fun, scary & most importantly exciting, however we have no kids to worry about. We arrived to 3 nights in the hotel, then nearly homeless, but gumtree helped and applying for a long term rental took 2-3days from applying to moving in. (We could have lived in another hotel, house share as back ups)

Get a list of areas you want to look at whilst in the UK, phone number of agents http://www.realestate.com.au/rent so its less stressful when you arrive..

Enjoy the experience, it will work out fine :D

We found a rental in the first week but couldnt move in for 3 weeks!!!! We only had the short term rental for 2 weeks but then struggled to find anywhere else to rent for the additional 2 weeks as the Ashes were on ... pesky cricket! Luckily the landlord had a house he was about to renovate so we dossed in there.

Once we were accepted for the house we hot footed it round to the school with the rental agreement and Lewis started the following Monday. I then spent the next 2 weeks driving from one side of the city to the other taking him to and from school.

Where we were looking was / is highly sort after so competition was tough. The only reason i think we got the house was because it was a 10 month lease so no one really wanted it.

Good luck in your search xxxx

Guest Paula H

We have short term rental in Aldinga, I didnt want to have longer as kids will be starting school after 2 weeks and we are looking at Port Noarlunga, Seaford area's so ideally need a rental for when they start.

Ah well, will just add to the excitement i guess.

Thanks for your posts xx

Why are you so keen to get the children in school within that 2 week period? Do we have to get them straight into school or is it just personal preference?

We're arrivng late July and I was thinking that we'd give the children at least four weeks to arrive and settle before we would even think about schools (especially since they'd be coming out of the end of the school year here and their brains would be expecting the 6 weeks summer holidays - they wouldn't have a long break until Christmas if they went from the UK straight into school in Australia).