Coromandel Valley?

Guest ali

Hi everyone,

I've found a great shared accommodation rental via http://www.realestate.com.au and its located in Thornbill Crescent, Coromandel Valley.

I checked it on http://www.whereis.com and the distance to Adelaide CBD is 17.7 KM and the site says it takes approximately 30 minutes to reach the CBD. I'm not sure if this info is accurate or not and I need your opinion on the area. Thanks in advance :smile:

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

Hi Ali - Try using Google Maps http://maps.google.com.au/ It's got a neat distance calculator that tells you approximately how long it takes to get to the city (if that is what you want to do) within current traffic situations. At the moment - depending on which route you take to get to the city it is saying 58 minutes. The other thing is you need to look at what public transport is like. Coromandel Valley is a nice area - but it is in the hills - green area - winding roads. It depends what you are after. If it is closer to the city there are other areas which would suit better. If it is a share situation then I would suggest when you first arrive you stay somewhere closer to the city and you can always move later when you have gotten a feel for the place and what you really want. Cheers Kris - Keep checking areas and I am sure we will all be giving you lots of our opinions. We are good at that ......:wink:

Guest Guest75

The stats are about right Ali. But can be a lot worse during peak hour traffic.

Coro Valley is a nice area but not many roads in and out so if there are road works / tree fallen and so on it can slow you down a lot.

Hi Ali - Try using Google Maps http://maps.google.com.au/ It's got a neat distance calculator that tells you approximately how long it takes to get to the city (if that is what you want to do) within current traffic situations. At the moment - depending on which route you take to get to the city it is saying 58 minutes. The other thing is you need to look at what public transport is like. Coromandel Valley is a nice area - but it is in the hills - green area - winding roads. It depends what you are after. If it is closer to the city there are other areas which would suit better. If it is a share situation then I would suggest when you first arrive you stay somewhere closer to the city and you can always move later when you have gotten a feel for the place and what you really want. Cheers Kris - Keep checking areas and I am sure we will all be giving you lots of our opinions. We are good at that ......:wink:

Thanks Kris. I'll take note of your advice and look closer to the city. It was a good case, nice Italian family (Pasta and lasagna every night; yum) and the house itself very nice contemporary piece of art! :wink:

But it won't do for me now. Shame! I'll be giving you guys alot of headache :biglaugh:

Ali

The stats are about right Ali. But can be a lot worse during peak hour traffic.

Coro Valley is a nice area but not many roads in and out so if there are road works / tree fallen and so on it can slow you down a lot.

Now that's what I call insider information :wink: Good point on the roads and public transport is a 'must' for me at the beginning (will get a driving license here prior to the move and see if I can convert it or not). I'll be looking at more shared accommodation adverts and start flooding you guys with alot of questions.

Cheers mate:smile:

Ali

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Ali

I lived at Coro Valley for two years, its beautiful but by gum it's bloody cold in the winter when the cold hangs in the valley!!! Wouldn't let it put me off though, it's green and lovely. Travel times are about 30 mins to CBD through Blackwood and down the hill at Belair. You are close to shops at Blackwood or Aberfoyle Hub because Coro is inbetween them, great bus service and train station at Blackwood too. It's in the hills but not too far in to be classed a "hilly billy" LOL I loved it because you get the feeling of living in the countryside but with civilisation just 5 mins away.

Hi Ali

I lived at Coro Valley for two years, its beautiful but by gum it's bloody cold in the winter when the cold hangs in the valley!!! Wouldn't let it put me off though, it's green and lovely. Travel times are about 30 mins to CBD through Blackwood and down the hill at Belair. You are close to shops at Blackwood or Aberfoyle Hub because Coro is inbetween them, great bus service and train station at Blackwood too. It's in the hills but not too far in to be classed a "hilly billy" LOL I loved it because you get the feeling of living in the countryside but with civilisation just 5 mins away.

Thank you ReadyPenny :smile: How far is Blackwood to Coro Valley? And how efficient is the transport from there to the City? What are do operating hours? Lets say if I work in the city, hit the gym after work, do a little grocery shopping and start heading back at say about 10:00 PM will I be able to catch a train back or a bus at those hours? I've heard that public transport doesn't work that well specially in the weekends when you're in the City having a late night with friends. There, I'm flooding you with so many questions.:smile:

Ali

Guest Sachertorte

Yes, agree with Ready Penny about the distance. I live up the road towards the city. It is definitely colder than Blackwood for example as it is situated lower down hill and you will need a car to drive to the train station (about 3-5 min). Tyke is also right about roads but it never seems to be a problem though in real terms. It could become a problem in case of bushfire as there is only one main winding road. Don't discard it though! If the house is right as a first base the thought of a welcoming family is going to help you settle.

I drive through there on the way to work and its a great area. Never yet had a tree down blocking the road, ( this of course can happen anywhere ) but there always many other side roads winding in and out so I would not let that put you off. Blackwood has a good train service and many people will drive to Blackwood to get the train into the city. I personally drive that way to the City, it much easier and faster than going down South Road/Goodwood Road which are a nightmare at peak times. Coromandel Valley to the City would take 30 mins if going by car.

Guest ReadyPenny
Thank you ReadyPenny :smile: How far is Blackwood to Coro Valley? And how efficient is the transport from there to the City? What are do operating hours? Lets say if I work in the city, hit the gym after work, do a little grocery shopping and start heading back at say about 10:00 PM will I be able to catch a train back or a bus at those hours? I've heard that public transport doesn't work that well specially in the weekends when you're in the City having a late night with friends. There, I'm flooding you with so many questions.:smile:

Ali

Depending on where in Coro it is it could take 5 mins by car as stated above to the train station and Blackwood. I have always found bus/train service ok to be honest. You can get a bus every 30 mins or so from the station at Blackwood down through Coro. Last train returns at 11pm I think but then you might have a problem getting a bus from the station down to Coro.

Sachertorte, Suziewozie and ReadyPenny thanks for all the insightful information you've given me. I will send the family an Email today and ask them for a viewing once I arrive and if they have a room available by then and all goes as planned I will seriously consider renting from them. I just can't wait to get there in about 45 days and start this journey. Hopefully a job will materialize by then and all falls into plan. Can't wait to actually meet up with you all and thank you all in person for what you've all done for me.:smile:

Cheers:smile:

Ali

Guest Guest75
Now that's what I call insider information :wink: Good point on the roads and public transport is a 'must' for me at the beginning (will get a driving license here prior to the move and see if I can convert it or not). I'll be looking at more shared accommodation adverts and start flooding you guys with alot of questions.

Cheers mate:smile:

Ali

Great public transport from Blackwood which is just up the road. Train station and many buses into the city!

Great public transport from Blackwood which is just up the road. Train station and many buses into the city!

Then in case of room availability I might've just found my first home in Adelaide:wink: Many thanks to you Tyke:smile:

Reading your posts is getting me excited Ali - you are so close to making it there!

I'm also looking at areas, I think Seaford and Noarlunga areas are appealing most to me right now.

Hi Gus,

We're both very close man. Thank you for the encouragement. :smile: Its getting exciting isn't it? If I manage to rent the room in the Coromandel Valley and you find a place in Noarlunga then we won't be that far either. Exciting times mate, and despite everything so fun:wink:

Cheers:smile:

Guest Sachertorte

Hi Ali- of course it's fantastic. Positive people attract good luck and lots of friends, and it's just that it's become a rare find these days... so in short I was praising your attitude and mindset.

I am sure many people on here will want to follow your adventure... good luck!

Guest Django
Now that's what I call insider information :wink:

Thats not insider information. Living in Thornbill Crescent you would have the lovely Sue as your postie. Now thats insider info. :biglaugh:

Hi Ali- of course it's fantastic. Positive people attract good luck and lots of friends, and it's just that it's become a rare find these days... so in short I was praising your attitude and mindset.

I am sure many people on here will want to follow your adventure... good luck!

Thank you for giving me much self confidence.:smile: One reason that I'm so motivated and looking forward to the challenge is the comfort of knowing that you guys are here to give me unbelievably sound advice, honest thoughts and who doesn't want this on their side. I hope that this enthusiasm and positive energy catches up with everyone and we make believe and go forward with dreaming.:smile:

Thats not insider information. Living in Thornbill Crescent you would have the lovely Sue as your postie. Now thats insider info. :biglaugh:

Looking roward to getting some tips from her:wink: