Tennyson & West Lakes area

thebowensclan

We arrived on Saturday and are interested in the Tennyson and West Lakes areas as possible places to live. We have four young children aged 2-7, hubby will be working in CBD, therefore would really appreciate any info on these areas - ie, transport links, schools, neighbourhoods, things to do/see.

Look forward to hearing back!

Tennyson and West Lakes are both really nice areas, with the beach very close nearby. Tennyson is pretty quiet, lots of very expensive beach houses, no shops or anything. West Lakes is a pretty big area, with West Lakes Shore having slightly cheaper housing (apart from the beachfront properties). West Lakes has a large shopping mall with loads of shops and plenty of buses into the city (no trains though). Nearest train is from Grange, just to the south. There is also a cinema complex, library, plenty of restaurants, Maccas etc. There is a smaller shopping area in West Lakes Shore. There are loads of sporting facilities - AAMI stadium, boating/rowing on the lake, lots of sports pitches for soccer, football etc and lots of playgrounds. Surf Clubs at Grange and Semaphore. Tennyson and the very southern part of West Lakes are zoned for Grange Primary, which is a good school, the rest is zoned for West lakes Shore Primary, which also has a good reputation. Delphin Island is a 'posh' part of West Lakes, with some big houses, but there are no shops there. As for pubs there is The Lakes Resort, which is right on the lake front opposite the shopping mall, excellent for family meals, and the Bartley Tavern in West Lakes Shore (never been there!). All in all it is a really nice area, not too busy but with plenty of facilities nearby, good for families but also there are a lot of retired people there, which hopefully makes for quiet neighbours!!!

Guest guest7008

Hi,

We are a family of 8, with 6 kids ranging from 2 through to 17, we live on Delphin Island in west lakes, we moved here in March this year - my thoughts so far on the area....FAB !!

Its near to everything you need...5 mins to the fabulous beachfront at Semaphore, 5 mins to the big shopping centre and library, restaurants, takeaways, library, cinema and buses into the City - takes 17 minutes to drive from west lakes to the CBD. Schools - zoned high school is Seaton, which 2 of mine are at, great so far, no issues at all, great kids, good teachers. my other 3 go to West Lakes Shores Primary and again an excellent school, teachers are fab, facilities are excellent and we are so pleased with it. Kindy is attached to the school so very convinient. loads and loads fo parks around here, all great and safe with great equipment. Its quite central here to everywhere it seems, St Kilda (where the best playgroun ever is!!) is 30 mins away, Conservation parks - many within 30 min drive - City 17 mins - there is plenty to do.

On match days....we can see the stadium from Delphin Island and to be honest its never effected us all, few more cars on the road and people walking to the match but nothing major.

Seems very safe here, no problems to speak of, everyone we have met is very friendly/

So in my opinion for what it is worth...its a fab place...near beach...near city...loads to do....

Hope that helps!!!

Great places. We rented a place in WL for a short time when we arrived and if ever we decide to move to a beach suburb it would be in that area. Great shopping centre, easy transport, some great houses, playgrounds etc. Football isn't much of an issue (and won't be one at all from the end of next year because of the oval redevelopment!) and although sometimes there's the odd (litterally) nutter tearing up Tapley's Hill and Military roads, you get that everywhere.

Jim

Guest Rochesdownunder

We are in Henley Beach South of West lakes and Grange again great place to live 20 mins from the city, few minutes drive to the West lakes shopping centre great school here too Henley beach schools is brillant lovely people and so helpful. Beautiful beaches that dont get that busy Henley beach square has some lovely pubs and restaurants and always a lovely buzz about the place In general all along the west of the city is good I reckon. I know plp that live from Glenelg to West lakes and they all love it around here

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nick Tuck

I think people who have repliued to this thread have covered most things.

You have certainly chosen a great area. I'm an estate agent that sells houses in these areas and I know that its certainly a very desirable area.

tennyson is a very small suburb with lots of exclusive and expensive housing.

anywhere around here are reknowned for nice areas with good schools, facilities and beaches which is what we all want.

Grange trainline would be the simplest way to commute to the city. Roads around the area are pretty easy to get to city, and shopping centre here has everything you need.

I'm sure you will love it here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jess-doug

Tennyson is great, lovely quiet suburb and the beach is beautiful.

I know someone that has a 4 bedroom house for rent in Tennyson. Swimming pool, great family home. Have you found anything yet?