Granny Flats

Guest mcfarscott

Guest mcfarscott

Hi our parents finally have their visas through to move out and join us in Oz, very excited but the sudden realisation has just hit me as to where are we all going to live :arghh:

The parents have this master plan that we all buy a house together that has a granny flat at the end of the garden for them to live in and we live in the main house with the kids but it seems to me that looking at real estate.com these places just don't exist. Have started doing some initial research on whether this is feasible and was wondering if anyone else had done something similar?

The way I see it there are a two major problems (other than having your parents on your doorstep!)

1) There seems to be a shortage of exisiting properties with a granny flat on does anyone know of any that exist?

2) If you wanted to buy some land and build your own I have been told by real estate agents that councils don't like approving two dwellings on the same block, has anyone else experienced this?

If anyone has attempted to build something with a granny flat on or has bought a place with one already on it would be a great help to hear how you got on.

Many thanks

Scott

Guest mcfarscott

Hey Dan,

That's what I thought, I'm guessing to build more than one unit on a block you have to sub-divide the land up first??

Not sure if we divide the land up as to how you then finance that, would you need two home loans because they are technically two different addresses and would a bank give me two home loans, guess thats a question for Andy Williams!

Also need to keep costs down to a minimum as not got too much to play with so not sure if it would be more expensive to build two seperate dwellings or if it would be cheaper to buy an existing building and build a granny flat on the back. Wonder if anyone knows how much it would cost to sub-divide and build two new buildings?

Cheers

Scott

Try a search on http://www.domain.com.au with the keyword "retreat" - just done a quick look and found this one for example http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/SA/Woodville/?adid=2009758429 but don't know what your budget is. They tend to call a self-contained unit a "teenager's retreat" or "parent's retreat" here (possibly to discourage any grandparents getting any ideas!!)

We're grandparents and have our own home about 15 minutes drive from the family. Works well for all of us as we're not in each other's pockets but near enough in an emergency. Lots of suburban homes here are 'bungalows' with small easy maintainence gardens.

Many older people here move into small 'retirement' units/2 bed houses and there are lots of these villages around. Ages in them vary from 55 upwards and they all seem to have great facilities and good shopping/transport links. There are conditions when buying though.

Here's a few examples

http://www.rs.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=ncs&cy=95&t=rt

Guest Nick Tuck

I am an agent so see lots of houses. these do exist. as mentioned above they are quite often called rumpus rooms.

I'm not sure how the easiest way of searching on the websites would be but you would have to look through the descriptions and floorplans of each.

there are lots of houses that may be suitable. i've sold several in the past.

the other option is to buy something with a reasonable block of land/ garden where you can build something. You would have to check with the council but you will not be proposing another dwelling with a spearate title (sub division) you will just be looking to build something similiar to a big shed with services. Even a shed (of a decent size) does require council permission.

• 11 months later...
Guest phoebe14329

Hi guys, I’ve got a huge area at the back of my property and I thought “why not put it to use?” I could certainly make money off it if I build a granny flat in it right? I could have it rented out afterwards! Anyway, what are requirements for building Granny Flats? Are the laws for building granny flats different from state to state in Australia? I live in Perth and I’d like to know if laws concerning granny flats here apply to those in Sydney too. Would it be advisable to purchase ready mate flats or work with a home builder for this?

Hi guys, I’ve got a huge area at the back of my property and I thought “why not put it to use?” I could certainly make money off it if I build a granny flat in it right? I could have it rented out afterwards! Anyway, what are requirements for building Granny Flats? Are the laws for building granny flats different from state to state in Australia? I live in Perth and I’d like to know if laws concerning granny flats here apply to those in Sydney too. Would it be advisable to purchase ready mate flats or work with a home builder for this?

You do know this is an Adelaide forum, not a Sydney one? If you wanted Sydney, try here http://www.sydneyforum.com/

Or with a big enough block, you could design your own house, maybe a two storey, where half of the downstairs area has another kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, sitting room and can be entered through the outside and also through the main house via an internal door. Good for emergencies.

The other thing you could build is a "pool room" for your future pool with a kitchenette and bathroom for entertaining. This could sit quite nicely at the end of your garden with the "planned pool" between.

There are houses with existing granny flats though, you just have to search through the ads for them.

Guest Guest12727

The area you live in, or are looking to live in, may make a difference. In the foothill locations we see loads of places with Granny flats, or self-contained 2nd living areas. These are usually part of the main house but have own entrance and are fully functional with kitchen, bathroom etc. I think this may be because a lot of the houses were built by migrants who had their parents with them. Many of these house are on 2 levels or split level, and one floor can be used as the separate quarters. I am talking houses built in 70s and 80s, on large blocks.

Regarding a separate 'flat' we looked at a house in Rostrevor that had the ideal 'home at the bottom of the garden'. This was a modern construction, and was very funky. It was 2 square buildings side by side with a covered walkway between them and a lovely covered verandah on the front. One room was a huge double bedroom and office space. The other was a kitchen / living area with bathroom and laundry. It was all timber / glass and that trendy iron on the outside. I wouldn't think it would be a huge cost to build. If you make sure the garden is well grown between you wouldn't even be able to see them.

I have two properties with separate granny flats on them and both of them are legal cottages. I will explain this.

Each council has different regulations and some are more difficult than others. I live in Onkaparinga and my experiences relate to this council.

It's possible to have a rumpus room built on vacant ground on your erf. It depends upon available free open space, boundary distances etc. The compliance and costs for a rumpus room are far less than a granny flat as the specifications are very different. Many people build a rumpus and rely upon the fact that council will not catch them out as a rumpus room is deemed a "non habitable structure".

I bought a property with a granny flat on it and I had a granny flat built on another property by Systembuilt homes in 2009. The granny flat was to be dependent upon the main dwelling and was not allowed to have a laundry. In the application process it was a requirement that you state which family members will be residing there. I applied to convert this into a short term rental property and the process was long and costly...permission from all neighbours, objections, ads in newspapers etc. It took over a year with plenty of conditions. If I decided to sell my properties I wouldn't have to hide anything from the buyers though as they are totally legal and compliant. If it's a rumpus,. even with a toilet etc it will never be compliant and cannot be advertised for sale as a separate granny flat.

If it's a rumpus room that you need there are companies like Olympic that will design, submit plans and do the construction. People convert garages, sheds, outbuildings etc...just be aware that if you buy a property with separate structures you may be buying a rumpus and not a granny flat.

Tamara

Hi there

Yes, a friend of ours bought a house about 1000sqm block and her parents built their house in her garden - its a lovely 2 bed - open plan kitchen/living/dining and shower room - the only room they were not allowed is a laundry ( as Tamara has also said). T

It has worked out very well for my friend and she loves having her parents on hand to help with childcare.

Good luck

Sarahx

• 9 months later...
Does anyone know if it's possible to convert an existing 6.5x6.ised iron shed into a habitable granny flat? It already has power.

Anything is possible here most shed that size are turned into sleep outs rumpus rooms granny flat no one seems to bother about getting planning permission they just do it.As for it having power that's more than likely been done by the previous owner unless you have a certificate of compliance from the spark that installed it.I have done quite a few that have been framed and sheeted out mostly for teenagers to hang out in.

Guest Guest12727
I mean turn it into a legal dwelling area - ie bedroom with ensuite and living area with little kitchenette.

It is best to contact the local council, as the rules and regulations vary. However, is what you want to do fits within their guidelines and you get planning permission you can do this. The plumbing will likely be the expensive bit, unless you can do it yourself.