New arrivals wishing to rent for 12 months any advice or opportunities?

Guest S_and_J

Guest S_and_J

Hello

This is our first post so please bear with us! We are newly married and are moving to Adelaide for at least a year. We are arriving 8th August 2012 ( leaving it late to post but only just got recommended this fantastic forum - already picked up loads of useful pointers). We would love some advice on arranging a long term rental, ideally we would like to live next to the beach in somewhere like Henley beach, somerton, Brighton etc or wherever people recommend. We don't really know Adelaide just what we've picked up from guide books and the web. We both have jobs sorted so that's all good it's just accommodation we're concerned about. Any advice would be great, especially about fully furnished accommodation and how to find it? Even if we could take over from someone and buy their furniture or something?

Anyway if someone could advise would be fantastic, we can't wait for our trip to Adelaide it sounds amazing plus it's kinda our honeymoon!!

Best wishes

Simon and Jess

Hi Simon & Jess, we have just bought a house and will be moving out of our long term rental in Grange around the 27th August. Grange is in an excellent spot. From the house you can walk to the beach in 10 minutes and 5 mins to railway station with direct line to the city, driving to the city takes about 25 mins in rush hour traffic. The house is a 3 bed single storey about 5 years old with garage, air con and a small garden. We have not told the agent we are moving yet but would be good if we could line up a new tenant. Send me a message if you are interested.

Cheers Jim.:biggrin:

Hi Simon and Jess. I wouldn't commit to any long term rental until you are over here and can see the property and area for yourselves as you might decide the area is not quit pe right for you. I think you might struggle to secure a long term rental from the UK as the agents will probably want you to be in Australia before allowing you to sign up for the rental. Having said that Grange is nice and you should definitely check out the area and the house that Jim is going to moving from. For other long term rentals try realestate.com.au.

For short term rentals try stayz.com.au. You need to contact the owners direct for accurate prices and availability but some will give discounts for stays of over two weeks that aren't on the website. There are also some people on the forum that have short term (and long term?) rentals available but a lot of these tend to be further south than the areas you mentioned. Nothing wrong with this but if you need to be in the city often these might be a bit far out, although possibly not an issue for short term rental.

I can't really recommend any beach areas personally as I wouldn't want to live in any of them. I prefer the east side of the city out towards the hills myself (but not in the hills). The best area for you might depend on whether you want somewhere with a bit of life, somewhere quiet, somewhere good for kids or somewhere more geared towards young professionals.

Guest xrockape

Hi, we have just arrived and rented through toop & toop and they were happy for us to not see property first although they did want a lot of info and bond up front but that's ok, the area was just luck as we had no idea either ,ended up in a new development called St Clair in Woodville which is awesome as there are lots of very nice houses going up in that area plus it's a buyers market here. Good luck

For longer term furnished rentals you could have a look here http://www.adelaideaustraliaaccommodation.com.au/

Do you know yet where you will be working, as that might help be a deciding factor in where you would want to live. The beaches run all the way down the western side of Adelaide, but if for instance your work is liable to be located towards the north of the city, you might prefer to look at beachside suburbs around Semaphore and West Lakes rather than Aldinga and Noarlunga! And vice versa of course.

If you are hoping to find work when you get here, then you probably want to base yourself not too far from the city. Google maps and the RAA Route Planner http://www.raa.com.au/maps/ are useful tools to work out approximate travel times, and for public transport, http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au is a good starting point.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pixie7

Hi, really depends what you want and I would say be careful renting longterm with out seeing the property first, but remember you can always break lease on a property if its not for you- its quite common to do that here.

We are in a 2 bedroomed unit in Oaklands Park- near Brighton and beach and jetty rd shops and restaurants, 2 mins from train station and bus stops (3 stops to beach 1 way- 10mins ish and about 20 mins to city), 5 minutes from Marion shopping centre and 2 minutes from local shops. Very good location which is why after 2 weeks in a holiday rental we went for this. Been here 7 months or so but due to travel to work we will be breaking lease and moving South. Shout if you want photos or more info.

Good luck x

Guest andylynnchriskirst

We did tonnes and tonnes of research before we came out for a short trip a couple of years ago. I don't think the research helped at all in a way though, because once we got here, it was completely different to what we imagined it to be like. (Better than what we imagined!!!)

There were some areas that seemed nice on the internet, which weren't when we got here, and vice versa!

We did a few weeks, which wasn't long enough, but was enough for us to decide that moving here was the right thing to do!

When we arrived last month, we rented for three weeks in a short term rental, and in that time, had a closer look at areas, houses etc etc. Luckily one came up that we all fell in love with, and here we are!

That three weeks though when we first arrived, was really important, and we were able to decide on everything before committing to a house/area! x

We have been out here for 2 weeks and currently looking at what area to set up in with a similar long term rental. However, we are house sitting for a total of 10 weeks whilst we look - saving a fortune on short term rental costs. Its giving us the time and space to do the on foot looking you need to do. Best £40 I have ever spent. This was the site I used, but there are others out there, http://www.aussiehousesitters.com.au.

Guest S_and_J

Hi,

thanks for your offer and sorry for late reply we have been so hectic trying to get over here. We have actually found somewhere perfect already - cant believe it. Good luck in finding a tenant.

if you have bits and bobs that you want to sell ours is only partly furnished.

warm regards

Simon and Jess

Guest S_and_J

Hi,

thank you to everyone for their great advice. Unfortunately tried to do personal replies but ended up posting on the whole strip. We have found a lovely rental in Tennyson. It is only patially furnished so if anyone has any bits and pieces available please let us know, as we will be off to ikea to kit out the house.

Loving Adelaide already - everyone is so nice!

thanks again

Jess and Simon