Dog Friendly Rentals...any problems finding some??

Guest CarlyT

Guest CarlyT

Hi everyone,

My OH and I are arriving in Adelaide on 10th October and our dog will be arriving mid-Dec. We were just wondering if it's easy to find a long term rental that is dog friendly? Has anyone had any exeperience of this lately?

We're looking to pay up to about $530pw in the Henley/Grange/Glenelg areas hopefully - do you think we'll have any problems finding something?

I've seen a lot of lovely houses on the net but a lot say no pets - want a new/modern house though!

We have been renting with our dog for 2 years in the UK with no problems and can get references from our current landlord.

Any advice or tips would be very much welcome!!

Thanks

Carly & Ray

Edited by Diane

I think you should be ok. Your budget sounds ok to me but you may not find the exact area as it depends on what's available and in that season you are arriving a lot of people will want to be near the beach. I know some people who found a nice place near Glenelg (but that was in our winter) and they had a large chocolate labrador. They will probably want to know that your pet is house trained. Some do ask for a higher bond in case of damage.

Someone told me that they wrote a letter on behalf of their dog, saying:

My name is ****** I am house trained, I do this and don't... and so on.

Basically, they got into a house rental that wasn't prepared to take dogs!

Good Luck, check out http://www.realestate.com.au/rent click dog friendly option to get an idea if you haven't done so already

Hi, It will be harder to find but they are definitely out there. Be careful though when it does say they allow pets.... this may be the case...but they may only allow them to live outside. Before you take on a rental that allows pets, double check the conditions, because if you allow your pets to be in the house and they are supposed to be outside, and landlord or agent find out, you will be breaking the conditions of your lease.

Its common practice out here for pets to live outside rather than in the home....something we dont tend to be like in the UK.

Edited by lorluc

Hi everyone,

My OH and I are arriving in Adelaide on 10th October and our dog will be arriving mid-Dec. We were just wondering if it's easy to find a long term rental that is dog friendly? Has anyone had any exeperience of this lately?

We're looking to pay up to about $530pw in the Henley/Grange/Glenelg areas hopefully - do you think we'll have any problems finding something?

I've seen a lot of lovely houses on the net but a lot say no pets - want a new/modern house though!

We have been renting with our dog for 2 years in the UK with no problems and can get references from our current landlord.

Any advice or tips would be very much welcome!!

Thanks

Carly & Ray

Hi, we have been here 6 months...got our first rental no probs.....now in our 2nd rental...viewed and applied for 3 houses and got offered all 3......we have 6 kids and a dog.....so think you be fine....bring references from everyone you know..neighbours from where you live etc saying what great people you are and how great your dog is etc etc...also if the rental says on the listing...NO PETS...its not always the case....I ring up the agent...tell them abit about us etc and what sort of dog we have and how great he is and would the Landlord consider letting to us and everytime I have had a Yes...Good luck but sure you be fine !!

Guest CarlyT

Thanks everyone - you've eased our minds!!

Good idea about refs from the neighbours, will def do that :-)

And what a great idea about a letter from the dog - very cute lol....will give it a go!

Fingers crossed there's a good place waiting for us when we need it and we can start 'living the dream'!! :biggrin:

Ray, as a landlord and someone who is about to rent a really nice new house, I would be saying no. its not that i dont like pets, i grew up with hundreds, but from a property point of view they cause more damage. And as mentioned about with dogs, you may need to indicate, if they are inside or outside animals. I know that I would not be accepting any dogs on my floors or carpets of my properties due to damage. As mentioned above you might struggle to find a property also in the beach areas when it starts to warm up as prices do to, so you may need to move in a 1km. Check are area like Glengowrie, somerton park, and warradale. Really depends on the size of the property that you are looking for too. And if needing it furnished up front.

Guest nakigirl

I did the doggy reference thing and it worked really well. Our landlord was really impressed we had gone to so much trouble. I would also advise trying to rent privately rather than through an agent as it helps to deal direct with the landlord. Our house wasn't listed as dog friendly but we visited the landlord with our dog and he had no problems. His view was he would rather have a responsible mature couple with a dog as tenants than a group of twenty year olds!

I did the doggy reference thing and it worked really well. Our landlord was really impressed we had gone to so much trouble. I would also advise trying to rent privately rather than through an agent as it helps to deal direct with the landlord. Our house wasn't listed as dog friendly but we visited the landlord with our dog and he had no problems. His view was he would rather have a responsible mature couple with a dog as tenants than a group of twenty year olds!

I've just done our doggy reference so hopefully that will help :wink:!

Where did you look for private rentals - just the local paper/gumtree? I'm constantly looking at www.realestate.com.au ...just can't wait to do some viewings now!

Guest nakigirl
I've just done our doggy reference so hopefully that will help :wink:!

Where did you look for private rentals - just the local paper/gumtree? I'm constantly looking at www.realestate.com.au ...just can't wait to do some viewings now!

We used the Advertiser on a Saturday and Gumtree. We didn't specifically look for pet friendly adverts either. We had a short list of three properties that all accepted us and the dog. Good Luck

Hi,

We are moving out of a fab doggie friendly place in Fullarton (Gumtree ID 1006106287). Dont let that put you off as not near the beach, bus stops right at the bottom of the rd and takes you straight to Glenelg. You are 5 mins from the city, right by the hills and there is a dedicated doggie park at the top of the rd.

Also the owners would be open to offers on the weekly rental. Bit dated but huge and fab area.

In my search for a new house I have found that anything that is new and nice is not doggie friendly at all. Or if you are prepared to compromise on area, you can get one. Try looking further south if you want pet friendly and modern.

Good luck xxx