Just wondering if any of you live in O'Sullivans Beach.

Guest deardos

Guest Guest75

I live nearby and know it fairly well.

That suburb would not be my first choice.

There is some industry there plus a lot of the streets are not the nicest.

Lots of better suburbs nearby such as Pt Noarlunga, Christies Beach ect.

I don't know the area at all but you could try taking a look on google earth to see what it looks like. I used street view to look at the streets and fronts of a few houses we were considering renting before I came over and it gave a good indication of what they were like. I have to say though that my OH is from Adelaide and we already knew what the general areas we were considering were like so this was just a way of getting a feel for a particular street. You also have to be aware the images may be a few years old and things may have changed slightly but it would certainly give you an idea of what it looks like around there.

O Sullivans is a difficult area to describe.

A lot of the beachfront properties are stunning and many owners in the area have done plenty of renovations. There's a really good private primary school (St Johns) in the area. I looked at the area when I first arrived with the idea that as the area upgrades it could be a good place to live and invest.

On the downside...not everyone is houseproud and there are some dodgy roads. There are many housing trust areas and pockets where "on parole convicts" are housed...hence the prices and value for bricks and mortar that you see on the real estate sites.

The neighbouring suburb of Christies Beach is designated an Onkaparinga council improvement district and is undergoing a programme of regeneration...a house a few roads back from the beach could be a very good investment there.

It's difficult to be balanced without offending.....I did buy in Port Noarlunga and Christies but who knows what O Sullivans could be one day.

Tamara

Guest Peterroxy

O Sullivan beach or dog sh"t beach as we call it is full of dog poo it is over looked by a big power station thing and it's rough as! They built a few newer houses on there but the bogans probably live in them as well. Imagine a rough council estate at home with pregnant women and grubby little bogans all over! Move north much nicer! Hope this helpsPete

Guest Guest75
O Sullivan beach or dog sh"t beach as we call it is full of dog poo it is over looked by a big power station thing and it's rough as! They built a few newer houses on there but the bogans probably live in them as well. Imagine a rough council estate at home with pregnant women and grubby little bogans all over! Move north much nicer! Hope this helpsPete

Hmmmmm???? Lovely first post Pete.................errr???

I and others were very careful as to how we posted our thoughts.

I actually have a good friend that lives in that area.

You must have an extremely "good" (sic) upbringing or a rather volumetric bank account to speak of the suburb from on so high.

To lambast the area so vicariously shows such a passion.

The "Power station thing" (sic) .........is actually the mothballed refinery.

Never has it been a power station thing.

Next to it ( north of ) is the new Desalination Plant)

Oh, I nearly forgot......................... welcome to this lovely community forum:cute:

Edited by Guest75
I enjoy the word "Lambast"

Hmmmmm???? Lovely first post Pete.................errr???

I and others were very careful as to how we posted our thoughts.

I actually have a good friend that lives in that area.

You must have an extremely "good" (sic) upbringing or a rather volumetric bank account to speak of the suburb from on so high.

To lambast the area so vicariously shows such a passion.

The "Power station thing" (sic) .........is actually the mothballed refinery.

Never has it been a power station thing.

Next to it ( north of ) is the new Desalination Plant)

Oh, I nearly forgot......................... welcome to this lovely community forum:cute:

I guess Pete feels strongly about the area and its his/her opinion.

I've seen far worse said about poor old Perth (yes an entire city is lambasted) over on PIO.

I am compelled to respond to this.

What is this all about?

It appears that someone has registered a profile on Poms just to slag off a specific suburb.

Is this for real?

Is it just this suburb that someone has issue with or are they having a general go at southern suburbs by highlighting O' Sullivans so people not in the know will think the south has plenty of problem areas and only problem areas?

We have our O' Sullivans, Morphett Vale, Hackam and Christies Downs type suburbs out here but to tell you the truth they are nowhere near as bad as northern suburbs like Elizabeth, Salisbury, Smithfield etc. Areas in these northern suburbs are scarey places.

Can I register as another user and slag off Modbury or Elizabeth and then get thanked for my view by the "moderators"?

Whoever added to this thread has no idea what O' Sullivans is like. Have they ever been there? A power station!!!

The decomissioned Port Stanvac refinery and desalination plant stand around the corner from O' Sullivans. There's also a water treament plant adjacent to the beach. Dog mess? It's a frigging dog beach!!! Dogs are allowed unleashed on this beach all year round. The restrictions kick in when you get to Christies but this entire stretch of sand is frequented by hundreds of owners and dogs. Sure there will be some people who don't pick up after the dog, but if it's sandcastles and swimming you want, go to Christies or Port Noarlunga.

To refer to people in O' Sullivans as bogans is such a slanderous generalisation.

Thank goodness there are still objective people like Tyke still around.

If the idea is to slag off this area with the intention that the whole southern beach region is unfit then think again. Christies will be co-hosting the world surf life saving event in November 2012 and Port Noarlunga / Port Noarlunga South took Australia's cleanest beach award in 2010 /11. Seaford and Moana halso have stunning beaches.

A bit of balance is what's required.

I am compelled to respond to this.

What is this all about?

It appears that someone has registered a profile on Poms just to slag off a specific suburb.

Is this for real?

Is it just this suburb that someone has issue with or are they having a general go at southern suburbs by highlighting O' Sullivans so people not in the know will think the south has plenty of problem areas and only problem areas?

We have our O' Sullivans, Morphett Vale, Hackam and Christies Downs type suburbs out here but to tell you the truth they are nowhere near as bad as northern suburbs like Elizabeth, Salisbury, Smithfield etc. Areas in these northern suburbs are scarey places.

Can I register as another user and slag off Modbury or Elizabeth and then get thanked for my view by the "moderators"?

Whoever added to this thread has no idea what O' Sullivans is like. Have they ever been there? A power station!!!

The decomissioned Port Stanvac refinery and desalination plant stand around the corner from O' Sullivans. There's also a water treament plant adjacent to the beach. Dog mess? It's a frigging dog beach!!! Dogs are allowed unleashed on this beach all year round. The restrictions kick in when you get to Christies but this entire stretch of sand is frequented by hundreds of owners and dogs. Sure there will be some people who don't pick up after the dog, but if it's sandcastles and swimming you want, go to Christies or Port Noarlunga.

To refer to people in O' Sullivans as bogans is such a slanderous generalisation.

Thank goodness there are still objective people like Tyke still around.

If the idea is to slag off this area with the intention that the whole southern beach region is unfit then think again. Christies will be co-hosting the world surf life saving event in November 2012 and Port Noarlunga / Port Noarlunga South took Australia's cleanest beach award in 2010 /11. Seaford and Moana halso have stunning beaches.

A bit of balance is what's required.

Firstly, unless I'm going blind no mods have thanked the user, secondly no you can't create a duplicate account as per forum rules, thirdly if you wish to call a suburb please feel free as long as it doesn't breach the forum rules ie swearing, then you are fine.

OK simmer down people.

O'Sullies beach is an area that, generally, has so far failed to revamp itself into something more posh than it is. Yes, the dog beach is there but that's great if you have or want a dog. Yes, the refinery is there but it is going to be dismantled in the next year or so and once that land is cleared it will probably become a new housing development which will change things for the area as a whole. Yes, there is industry but only on the Lonsdale Road side.

There are only a couple of local shops and no pub. There is one bus route that runs through it and there are only two roads into and out of it - one towards Christies Beach and the other towards Lonsdale. The desal plant is on the other side of the refinery complex so it's far enough away not to matter.

When looking at areas on Google maps I always take not of how many swimming pools I see. Generally where an area has more pools you can bet the household income is higher and the houses are worth more.

Would I live there? Probably not, however I'd sooner live there than back in the UK.

Makes me laugh when I hear people describe certain areas of South Australia as being rough.........compared to the really bad areas in the uk these places are like heaven...........sounds like snobery to me.
Yep,let's be realistic.There is no crime even near to what you would see in bad areas of the UK in areas like O'Sullivans Beach.It's just a bit run down in places,that's all.It's also in a prime location for the future,and doubtless the vast majority of dwellers there are fine,honest people doing their best,just like the rest of us.

Guest Guest75

:notworthy::notworthy:

Some people do not have the luxury of choice and live in this area.

Crescent, O'Sullivans Beach

Let you into a secret...........................When I first arrived for a reccie, I rented a house in Gayunda O'sullivans Beach.

The folk were lovely and that was a deciding factor in moving here.

I'd rather have a down and out Aussie mate than a snobby Pom mate anytime.

I do have more Aussie mates than Pom mates now after 12 years here.

I've been subjected to both snobbery and inverted snobbery.................... I still have good mates around me.

Some of my Pom mates (as do I ) come from some of the roughest areas in the UK, but I'd have them by my side any day.

Yep ,the beach can have some "Sand snags" left by canine companions - but hey............ guess what??? Normally by folk visiting with their dogs, not the locals!!!

I note ........somewhere else............. folk took the opportunity to use my comments to slag PIA off.

If you have an axe to grind, go for it in your OWN time!:skeptical:

I enjoy PIA when it is in full flow,nothing more rewarding than offering a helping help to people!

I myself had a bad few months last year, friends came out of the PIA woodwork to help me.

Humbled I was............

"Clique" indeed..........................

Hello All,

I posted this thead to see what the area is actually like. I appreciate everybodies honesty, blunt or otherwise. I have previously lived in Perth and some areas were worse than others but not as bad as some areas such as the Langworthy Estate in Salford.

Thank you for all your comments to this thread I am currently in the UK looking for areas to move in Adelaide.

General rule of thumb here in Adelaide is when you look at property prices, if an area seems particularly cheap, there is probably a very good reason for it.

As has been said above though, you can quite easily get very nasty, spiteful people living in so-called "luxury" houses, or have the misfortune to live next door to a family with feral, out-of-control children in the best of areas, that you really wouldn't want as neighbours, so it is very hard to make a firm decision until you are actually on the ground.

Hello All,

I posted this thead to see what the area is actually like. I appreciate everybodies honesty, blunt or otherwise. I have previously lived in Perth and some areas were worse than others but not as bad as some areas such as the Langworthy Estate in Salford.

Thank you for all your comments to this thread I am currently in the UK looking for areas to move in Adelaide.

No, there's nothing like the roughest housing estates in the UK here in Adelaide, but then there's nothing like the poshest estates such as Surrey's Wentworth either! (incidentally I know Salford well - hardly recognised much of it when I visited it last, but recognised only too well other parts of it!) Remove the roughest and the poshest of the UK and what you're left with is pretty much what you'll see here. I wouldn't run any places down - I agree with many of the points made in this thread that any areas can have problem neighbours - but equally I wouldn't move from one end of the world to the other to live in some of the suburbs here.

Jim

This was reported in yesterdays news. Removal of Port Stanvac site and redevelopment of the area.

A MARINA will be investigated as part of a vision to transform the former Port Stanvac oil refinery site.

Onkaparinga Council has voted to look at whether the bay at Port Stanvac would be suitable for a marina once Exxon Mobil demolished the site.

Councillor Bill Jamieson, who tabled the motion, said he wanted Port Stanvac and neighbouring O'Sullivan Beach to become a "buzzing area".

"There is already a boat ramp there, so it will add to the precinct and be a great place,'' Cr Jamieson said. "We have quite a lot of people who are into boats.''

Cr Jamieson said the nearby clifftop would also be ideal for shops and a restaurant.

O'Sullivan Beach Kiosk owner Rob MacKay said it would be a "dream'' to have a local marina.

"There is so much potential down here and there's nothing like it down this way,'' Mr MacKay said.

"It would attract more tourists and would mean people wouldn't have to go all the way down to Glenelg for a marina.''

There is also a disused jetty at Port Stanvac