Getting a rental sorted

Guest dean berridge

Guest dean berridge

Starting to panic a bit arriving in adelaide 29th of this month we are stopping with family but have not thought about rental until we arrive. Can stop with family until mid Nov how long does it take to sort a 6 month rental out? Advise would be great I have emailed a couple of agents today but not 100% sure where we are settling it could be Victor Harbor or Seaford desicions desicions. I suppose it depends on where I get a job:arghh: lol

Guest K.gordon

Hi there, we arrive on 10th October and have also to find a rental. We'll be staying in temporary accommodation for 2 weeks and have been told by agents that it only takes a day or two to secure a rental, whether it be for 6 months or 12. I'm looking forward to driving around suburbs checking them out and looking at primary schools for our children. All I do know is that you can't secure a rental until you are in the country. Good luck with finding somewhere.

Kate

Guest vikkiann

We booked a holiday rental for 4 weeks when we arrived in June. It took us about 2 weeks to find a decent rental. What looks good on the Internet is totally different when you see it!

Hi there

We are leaving our rental at the end Sept/beginning of October and at the moment we are on a 6 month lease (which is unusual as they are usually 12 months). We are in Moana - and I can forward details and pics if you are interested. (also on the accommodation part of this site).

It is hard to secure rental before you arrived but we did and it was a god send (with another house).

Lots of luck, Lisa

many thanks, lisa

Guest Guest6899

There is no point sorting a rental until you arrive and decided where you want to live. its a 40 min drive from Seaford-victor harbor. if you get a job in the city its long commute to victor. Have a look on realestate.com.au to give you ideas whats available and the prices concerned. you can move in pretty quick things are not as drawn out here as they are in the uk.

Hi

It took a while for us to sort out a rental. We arrived 14th August we stayed with friends up North and then moved south to a holiday rental. We move into our rental on 28th September. You need to find an area you like and a house, Agents say its easy to find a rental, but its finding the house that suits you that is important. You want your family to be happy as it can be difficult to break a lease.

Good luck, it will all come together:)

Guest bubbe2005
We booked a holiday rental for 4 weeks when we arrived in June. It took us about 2 weeks to find a decent rental. What looks good on the Internet is totally different when you see it!

In a way like false marketing or false advertising? so if I see a rental with a nice white kitchen and modern appliances I will see the opposite in the actual viewing!?!

New to the forum, so hello to all. We are currently in the UK, and will be settling in Adelaide late Oct / Nov.

Some interesting points on this thread.

As an aside, when getting a rental as a migrant, does anyone know what type of regerences etc we need. We've owned our own home in UK, so don't have anything. Do we get stung for a big deposit instead?

In a way like false marketing or false advertising? so if I see a rental with a nice white kitchen and modern appliances I will see the opposite in the actual viewing!?!

No. A general rule of thumb is property usually looks much nicer on the internet than it does in real life. Places that look new and well kept can actually be quite tired and battered when you get there. No false advertising, it's just the agents are experts at taking photos that make the best of a place. There are the occasional prooerties where the place actually looks better in real life than in the photo but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Guest bubbe2005
No. A general rule of thumb is property usually looks much nicer on the internet than it does in real life. Places that look new and well kept can actually be quite tired and battered when you get there. No false advertising, it's just the agents are experts at taking photos that make the best of a place. There are the occasional prooerties where the place actually looks better in real life than in the photo but this is the exception rather than the rule.

hmm but to me that is MY definition of false marketing/advertising, that's like you advertising on ebay for a brand new pair of nikes, then when i purchase it from you, it's actually WORN, what a joke!