What suburbs should we avoid ?

Guest richdownunder

Guest richdownunder

Hello,

I've been carrying out a lot of research not areas that I feel would be suitable for s if we decide that Adelaide is for us. However, research on the Internet can only tell you so much, so i'd appreciate any guidance on suburbs that shoud be avoided. I know ths is ll very subjective and one persons views may differ, but I will keep an open mind on feedback.

We are a family in our 40s with a 6 year old so being near to good primary schools and links to the city are important. From research I quite like Hallet Cove, Seaford Rise, port Noarlunga and Mount Barker. These are 4 different areas but all seem to offer what we a seeking in our move which is good schools, communications, family friendly and a variety of housing choices around our budge f $550k

When looking at houses near our preferred areas there are other suburbs which pop up which look nice, but not sure which are good and not so good.

I would welcome all comments from anyone that s familiar with these areas and maybe what other areas we should look at.

Thanks o much, Ric

Guest chooklady

Hi Ric

I lived in Mt Barker briefly. Lovely hills lifestyle. I worked in the city and the drive down the freeway did start to get to me though, it's only about 35 mins but it's alot of K's. It's a lovely lifestyle up there but you are slightly separate from the city....that may be what you're after! I also lived in Blackwood in the hills which I loved, more of a community in the hills. I find the suburbs around the city don't have as much character or appeal as suburbs near the beach or hills.

Obviously just my opinion, I am a social worker and got to know these areas, sorry to offend people in the following suburbs, but I would avoid......Davoren Park, Elizabeth, Salisbury, Kilburn, Taperoo, parts of Christies Beach and Noarlunga. I think I would want people to tell me this if I was new to the area, even though it's not very nice to label suburbs...

Nice (expensive - for me anyway!) suburbs - Glenelg, Birghton, Henley Beach, west lakes....all up the coast is nice. Past Tennyson...starts to get more quirky. Most suburbs on skirting of city nice. I lived in Broadview which was ok..near Enfield which is worth a miss! But Norwood, Goodwood, Parkside all Good.

Good luck!

Edited by chooklady

Guest Guest5035
Hello,

I've been carrying out a lot of research not areas that I feel would be suitable for s if we decide that Adelaide is for us. However, research on the Internet can only tell you so much, so i'd appreciate any guidance on suburbs that shoud be avoided. I know ths is ll very subjective and one persons views may differ, but I will keep an open mind on feedback.

We are a family in our 40s with a 6 year old so being near to good primary schools and links to the city are important. From research I quite like Hallet Cove, Seaford Rise, port Noarlunga and Mount Barker. These are 4 different areas but all seem to offer what we a seeking in our move which is good schools, communications, family friendly and a variety of housing choices around our budge f $550k

When looking at houses near our preferred areas there are other suburbs which pop up which look nice, but not sure which are good and not so good.

I would welcome all comments from anyone that s familiar with these areas and maybe what other areas we should look at.

Thanks o much, Ric

ric, i know you are a junior member and abit new, but if you use the search you'll find this question has been asked heaps of times.

stevo

No areas to avoid in the Eastern suburbs. All the eastern suburbs are close to the city and some of the best schools in Adelaide are here. Can be a bit pricey though. And not really close to the beaches.

A lot of people who come over from the UK seem to head for the suburbs you mention, but if you want easy access to the city I would suggest being a bit closer. I'd also suggest getting yourself a short term rental somewhere central and having a good look around all the suburbs and not just the ones mentioned. If you want to be near the beach then maybe focus on the beach side suburbs, but I really don't understand how people can be so sure that they don't want to live in other areas if they have never even been there. And in case anyone is wondering, yes I have travelled extensively around the Adelaide area before deciding where to live.

Guest Guest6899

This thread always opens a HUGE can of worms... what some people like others don't... we rent in Port Noarlunga at the moment and love it, but just bought a house in christies beach 5 mins down the road. Lots of suburbs have old parts, good & bad and i think its something you need to travel around and get the feel for the areas yourself... sorry my opinion..

Edited by Guest6899

Adelaide and outer districts have such a wide variety to choose from,and a lot depends on what you can actually afford whilst living comfortably within your means.Believe me,there is extreme wealth here in some Suburbs,and likewise,like anywhere else there is also extremely run down areas.Even taking this into account there are pockets within these areas that go against the grain.Personally i would not wish to live in Hackham West,however,there are many fine people living there because finances decree.I would also not wish to live in Urrbrae or Burnside,even though these(and many others) Suburbs are deemed very exclusive!I think you need to rent and look around to get a feel for where you want to be long term.We all came here to be content and happy with where we chose to live,and it can take time to find that place.Best of Luck,Sue.

Guest andylynnchriskirst

Completely agree with sueoc!

Plus it also depends where you've come from and what is "nice" and what isn't. Thankfully we're all different so everyone is going to have different opinions on places, gained from their experiences and knowledge (or lack of) of certain areas.

Like sueoc said though, renting to start of with until you get a good idea of which area is best for you, is probably the best option.

In my two years moving into Adelaide, I have lived in Sheidow Park, Hallet Cove, Marryatville, and now Campbelltwon, where we bought a house a year ago. From my work, I had been to all over Adelaide, from Christie Beach in the south to Elizabeth South, Salisbury, Para Hills, and even Gawler. I think if you have a budget of 550 k to buy a house, you could choose any suburb with that median price, you will be fine. The problem is if you only have around 200-300 K, you need to "choose" the suburbs.

From what I "heard" as a general thumbs, suburbs that beyond Grand Junction road to the north tend to be avoided.. I am not sure about the south side of the city..

Guest moonraker1959
In my two years moving into Adelaide, I have lived in Sheidow Park, Hallet Cove, Marryatville, and now Campbelltwon, where we bought a house a year ago. From my work, I had been to all over Adelaide, from Christie Beach in the south to Elizabeth South, Salisbury, Para Hills, and even Gawler. I think if you have a budget of 550 k to buy a house, you could choose any suburb with that median price, you will be fine. The problem is if you only have around 200-300 K, you need to "choose" the suburbs.

From what I "heard" as a general thumbs, suburbs that beyond Grand Junction road to the north tend to be avoided.. I am not sure about the south side of the city..

Are you saying burbs like Surrey Downs,Greenwith,Modbury Heights,Tea Tree Gully and so on should be avoided?Cause they're beyond GJ Road!I think the OP poster should wait till they get to Adelaide,have a drive around in all directions and you'll soon work out what burbs to avoid.Adelaide does have very large housing trust estates(council)and some are ok,whilst others I would avoid.I would of thought with your budget,its going to be fairly easy to buy something in one of the "better"suburbs.Find some suburbs and then go on google street view for a look.You can virtually drive around Adelaide.

Are you saying burbs like Surrey Downs,Greenwith,Modbury Heights,Tea Tree Gully and so on should be avoided?Cause they're beyond GJ Road!I think the OP poster should wait till they get to Adelaide,have a drive around in all directions and you'll soon work out what burbs to avoid.Adelaide does have very large housing trust estates(council)and some are ok,whilst others I would avoid.I would of thought with your budget,its going to be fairly easy to buy something in one of the "better"suburbs.Find some suburbs and then go on google street view for a look.You can virtually drive around Adelaide.

Moonraker, Yes I know it's too broad generalisation about any suburbs "beyond" Grand Junction Road was not good. I agree suburbs like Modbury, Surrey Downs, and beyond are not bad, and probably comparable with other "better" suburbs. But I think, generally people try to avoid suburbs toward Main North Road and beyond. But again, probably not all the suburbs are "hard places"..

Guest moonraker1959
:SLEEP::SLEEP::SLEEP:

stevo

Whats up Stevo?Tired or bored?lol lol Come on you live in Wynn Vale,which is a really nice suburb I think!My sister lives in Greenwith,and although I'm no city slicker,its a nice place to live as well.

Guest Guest5035
Whats up Stevo?Tired or bored?lol lol Come on you live in Wynn Vale,which is a really nice suburb I think!My sister lives in Greenwith,and although I'm no city slicker,its a nice place to live as well.

mate, how many times does this thread come up, as i posted before, its all in the search box, nothing really changes from burb to burb, whether the thread is last week or last year, same s**t different bucket.

stevo

Guest Katangel

Lol another thing is that Adelaide has the great divide. You are either a north, east, south or west person. People don't generally cross the 'border' of these areas once they establish their lives. Sometimes people will hover half way like i prefer the northeast suburbs cos the areas are nice and price of living is comfortable. East is too expensive although nice old area with large property and north for me is going downhill into chav territory (sorry to offend, just my opinion). Google maps will only show you so much. It won't show you the type of people or inside the shopping centres. Decide if you want either a beach, city or hills/country life and go from there as each direction has the good the bad and the ugly. Hope that helps :-)

Guest moonraker1959

No it won't show what the neighbours are like.A mate of mine lives in an eastern burb,which I would consider to be the posher side of Adelaide,and yep they've unfortunately got the neighbours from hell living next door to them.I meant for the OP to virtually drive Adelaide and yes you can get a "general"idea of the house types,how old the burb is and so on.

I would suggest that you do as we did, budget for a long term rental , nearly 12 months, not short term, if you give yourself time to live here and research what YOU like and feel comfortable with would be my advice, lots of people have their own opinions about areas, good and bad, but not really your own thoughts, we rented for nearly twelve months in not the best rental property, cheapest almost we could find, kept the money in the bank, and spent the time to visit all the areas, become familiar with SA then when we found the area we were happiest in waited for a property and sure enough fairly shortly after we bought there and love it.. don't rush give yourself time....just a thought

Hello,

Thanks o much, Ric

Hallet Cove not much of a beach, nice view of the disused contaminated Mobil oil refinery, annoying railway track running through the middle, not many places to cross,tons of roundabouts and hilly, beautiful sunsets, Seaford Rise,windy, appears to be a poorer area, lots of fairly new nice grand houses probably more affordable than most areas, Port Noarlunga I like but I don't know much about the area nice beach and of course beautiful sunsets across the ocean, Mt. Barker was a small country town but substantial development over the last ten years has turned it into a sprawling area still a nice town, I like, cooler usually than Adelaide lots of big name shops there now, great if you work locally.

Guest moonraker1959

I used to live near Mt Barker(and for a short time lived in Mt Barker),and they're literally ruined it by extending the town.No wonder half the locals have moved on!Just turning it into another "once sleepy quiet town to looking like a burb of Adelaide"town which is a real shame.Could'nt believe whats happened to Nairne either when I drove up that way last year.Very sad!(Sorry for offending anyone who lives in these places but I knew them when they were small quiet towns).My two brothers live in Freeling,have done for nearly 30 years.That also was a quiet very sleepy backwater type place.They've now built hundreds of new builds,and my brothers have had enough.They're moving elsewhere.Before anyone has a go at me,imagine if you found your little bit of paradise,knew practically everyone in the town,kids had grown up there and so on,and then you get news someone is selling off thousands of acres to a building company to build a couple of new estates!Not nice!

Guest graandjac

This subject almost has no correct answer and almost always starts a barney, I recon it should be banned lol, every suburb has it good and bad points its always best to get a feel for a berb yourself. good luck

Guest Sachertorte
This subject almost has no correct answer and almost always starts a barney, I recon it should be banned lol, every suburb has it good and bad points its always best to get a feel for a berb yourself. good luck

Absolutely agree with you Graham (and Stevo). It would be more fruitful to actually do a search on this site. Plenty of discussions on here already. Also agree with all those who say leave that decision until you see it for yourself. This really is a HIGHLY emotive topic and people get their feathers rubbed the wrong way if someone paints their own suburb black.

A search in the realestate.com.au and mydomain.com.au website will let you know pretty quickly which areas are out of your reach.

Coming here has got to rank amongst those top decisions in one's life- you have really got to put the onus on yourself to do your own due diligence :wideeyed:

Yeah but I've heard that Noarlunga Downs is pretty crappy after the influx of Poms over the last few years!

Guest graandjac
Yeah but I've heard that Noarlunga Downs is pretty crappy after the influx of Poms over the last few years!

:biglaugh: glad to see you still have a sense of humour Tyke..............looks like there's lots of new rules for me to abide to..........wish me luck :arghh: